Unlucky WATCH Accident - Genius Bar or Mail in?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by agwin27, May 2, 2015.

1. agwin27 macrumors member

So until today, I had never caused any type of damage whatsoever to a single Apple product that I've ever owned. I've never even shattered a phone screen. While running earlier today, my dog tripped me and I fell on my watch hand, pinning my arm between myself and the concrete and putting all of my weight on my watch. Needless to say, I completely ruined the aluminum finish and shattered the display.

I fortunately have AppleCare+. Do you guys think the Genius Bar has any safety stock for replacing my watch, or do you think I have to exclusively go through online/phone AppleCare support to do a mail-in repair?

2. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Genius Bars aren't receiving parts for the Watch yet. All repairs are exclusively depot at this time. Mail in is as good as anything.

3. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

Your best bet is to go to an Apple Store, have them help you with the replacement and mail it in. When Apple gets enough, they'll mail you a replacement.

So much for Aluminium and Ion-X glass, huh?

4. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Now, now. I can't imagine any watch going through such an accident unscathed.

5. BITEMEAPPLESIGN macrumors member

BITEMEAPPLESIGN

DO. NOT. GO. TO. THE. APPLE. STORE.

There is NO replacement stock, and AppleCare can do the EXACT same thing that the store does. Save yourself the trip and gas.​

6. Wallabe macrumors 6502a

My cheap Casio G-Shock can handle better than that.

I'm not bashing Apple, I have the 38mm SS. But I don't see Aluminium and Ion-X glass holding anything more than a light touch against it.

The name Ion-X makes it sound fancy, like it's invulnerable and uncrackable. No. But that's just me.

7. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

However, the Genius bar is much more lenient with deductible/repair costs. ;)

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Right, but it's ruggedized and looks the part. It's like comparing fine china to Corelle.

9. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Geez. Are you ok?

10. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Ion-impregnated glass is not hype. It is a valid material for a scratch-resistant display. One variant, Gorilla Glass, was a great big deal when introduced on iPhones not that long ago, and it remains the screen material for the iPhone today.

Glass has a Mohs hardness between 5 and 6. Some mineral glasses such as fused quartz are a bit over 6. As we know from Consumer Reports' testing, the Sport's "Ion-X" glass has a hardness between 7 and 8. When reading about Mohs hardness, Wikipedia's page is quite good: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness

There are plenty of watches out there with mineral-glass crystals, including sports-oriented models like my own beloved Casio Pathfinder. In fact, most mid-to-high-end Casio designs use a mineral glass. It's scratchable but very tough otherwise. They do offer sapphire crystals on some models at their high end. Those are certainly less scratchable, but actually less tough in key respects: mineral glass (including Ion-X) is superior to sapphire against cracking when struck. Sapphire is hardest but brittle!

(Acrylic is another watch-crystal material... I have two cheap Casios with that "crystal". Acrylic scratches like the dickens but can be polished easily, and it's way less brittle than any glass and certainly sapphire.)

One thing that makes all models of the Watch vulnerable is the lovely rounded-edge display that tapers toward the edge. This, rather than the crystal material, strikes me as the most significant difference versus your tough G-Shock. The corners of the Watch are emerging as a vulnerable point where it's easy to fracture the crystal if you knock your wrist against something hard. Most Casios have a raised case bezel; my Pathfinder's crystal is actually inset into the case by a shade under 2mm (I just measured it with a caliper). This certainly helps protect the crystal, and it shields the crystal's vulnerable edges entirely.

So this is a complicated topic that goes well beyond crystal material to include case design. You're comparing a smartwatch featuring a vulnerably-positioned interactive touch display with a sportwatch designed for intensive activities. In a way, it's like comparing the off-roadability of a Tesla with a Jeep. Not quite fair, in a way.

Meanwhile, some brave soul with a scratched Sports might want to try the nostrum documented (with Casios, ironically) at http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/how-remove-scratches-mineral-crystal-works-717486.html ...I'll start a thread on that in hopes that someone might report back if it works for them. But, again, the Mohs hardness of the Ion-X glass is higher than that of the Casios' mineral glass, so this trick might not work.

11. LiemTa macrumors regular

Sounds more to me like you make assumptions on a wishful thinking basis.

12. April Knight Suspended

Call/chat into AppleCare and set up an Express Replacement. That's the fastest way to get a new Watch, and it's one of the perks of having AppleCare+.

13. Cutiekitty92 macrumors 65816

Cutiekitty92

Just don't forget when claiming on AppleCare that's one out of two a year claims you're using so be careful with the new one ;)