Unnaceptable apple reseller store.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freddy-b, Jan 11, 2011.

1. freddy-b macrumors regular

I am truly mad at the apple store where i bought my MBP.

I have 1 dead pixel on my 12day MBP13" that i got for xmas.

Yesteday i called apple to ask them what theu could do. They said. It has less than 14 days. They will give u a new one.

So i am at the store and they said that they wount exchange it.
    They say they cant. Because they are a resseller. And because portugal dosnt have that agreement.

So they gave me the apple Portugal number and they told me to call it.

I called and they said that the apple online store. Has that policy and is up to the reseller to exchange it or not. So then i asked.. Is it the workers that dont want to exchange? They said it would be against the law to give me that type of info.

And here i am with a mac that came with a dead pixel out of the box.

What do i do? Any way to
    Convince them?

Thanks, fred

2. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Try a new store? Do they (reseller) have another location you can go to? If they do, be in a good mood and have patience, as you explain your problem with the new guy (get on his good side ;) ).

E viva Portugal :)

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Whom did you speak to? If it wasn't Customer Service (different from AppleCare rep), I'd advise you speak with them since they'll have the authority to do the swap over the phone with you.

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Politely but firmly ask to discuss this issue with a manager of customer care or customer relations as many people do not have the power to fix what is wrong.

5. freddy-b thread starter macrumors regular

I am on my iphone.. And iam using an app so i cant.. Multi quote...

There is no other store.. This is the one and only m.Store they have here in portugal...

As i said i have called the portugese Costumer service.. And they say, talk to the reseller.

And yes i have spoken to the manager, he says the same as the workers.. They cant replace the mac.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Where did you buy it from? Here in Finland, ALL items bought through phone or internet must have 14-day no-questions-asked return policy. The item can be opened and used during that 14 days. However, when bought in-store, there is no return policy set by a law. Most stores (including Apple resellers) have 14 days but that is only for unopened items, opened items cannot be returned.

I don't know is this the case in Portugal but since both are EU countries, it is possible. Take a look at the reseller's return policy, they should have it in their site. Also, see for the jurisdiction in Portugal.

7. puma25uk macrumors member

As advised, speak directly to Apple's customer services line. Resellers are bound by strict agreements with Apple and I am sure Apple will not let a reseller jeopardise their reputation.

Also, you mention your laptop is 12 days old. When was it actually *purchased*? If it was purchased over the internet or telephone, you have a 14-day no-questions right to return granted to you by law. It's called "Direito de Livre Resolução" and it's explained here (Portuguese): http://bdjur.almedina.net/item.php?field=node_id&value=342175

But the above is only valid if the laptop was a distance sale, i.e. telephone, catalog or internet order. If it applies, invoke that right (you will have to send a recorded letter), then return it for a full refund. Then take your money and go buy a new one elsewhere :D

However, I am sure Apple has policies regarding the acceptable number of dead pixels required to be considered a fault. I think you will find the policy considers one dead pixel acceptable as a result of the manufacture process, so tread politely and try to get it swapped showing good will.
    (Also, see this thread here) It would appear a single pixel is not cause for replacement...

Boa sorte / Good luck!

8. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

So if you buy a defective product in Portugal they won't accept returns/exchanges?

9. puma25uk macrumors member

Ha! Hellhammer beat me to it, ;)

10. puma25uk macrumors member

Apologies to everyone else who is not a Portuguese speaker. That link I sent appears not to work on its own. In my case I had to go through Google. Here's a direct quote of the legislation so you can invoke it.

11. freddy-b thread starter macrumors regular

ill check ;)

Thanks.. the link you game me dosnt work.. but nvm.. but the lap top is 12 days old. this is unnaceptable. its brand new and they woulnt exchange it, it came with problems out of the box.

nope. seems like they dont.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Dead pixel, especially if there is only one, is not usually count as a problem. Since displays have millions of pixels nowadays, it's not that uncommon that there are one or two dead pixels.

Apple's policy on dead or stuck pixels appears to be 6 dead pixels on 13" and 15" MBP

[​IMG]

13. freddy-b thread starter macrumors regular

OMG Thank you!! :)

EDIT: this is only for long distance.. Ex. Phone, and internet perchases. :))

14. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

In the note section it says the product can be replaced but if the replacement has dead pixels then it won't be replaced again. That's how I'm interpreting it. Wrong?

15. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I might have missed it in one of the posts but if you're really not happy, why not just return the MacBook Pro? There might be a restocking fee but it's something I would gladly pay than to spend $2000 (US/CDN) on something I probably won't be happy with.

16. freddy-b thread starter macrumors regular

they say i cant return it.. only with the box sealed.

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I find that confusing as well. It doesn't explain is it for products that are still inside return period or for all products inside warranty. It doesn't state who pays the replacement either.

Anyway, one dead pixel is not enough for a replacement unless OP bought it online and thus has no-questions-asked return policy. He can try to make the reseller to replace it but they have no need to do so

18. freddy-b thread starter macrumors regular

But my MacBook pro is only 12 days old. and its starting to P Iss me off. it came with problems, so its goin back.. to get them fixed. ( at least )

EDIT: the size of the pixel is smaller than a .dot.

19. puma25uk macrumors member

That's what I stated in my original post... I am still unsure but I take it from the above post that the laptop was not purchased through a distance-selling channel, meaning the law I quoted does not apply to you?

Since 1 dead pixel is within an acceptable defect range, I guess the only avenue is to engage directly with Apple customer care, and negotiate a replacement direct with them. They may then give instructions to the reseller to exchange it. Take it up with them seeing the reseller is being difficult to deal with. If true, insist Apple previously told to take it back for replacement, which you did, and the reseller denied. They may then apply pressure directly on the reseller.

It sucks that Portugal does not have an official Apple retail store - only an online one - and I think we both know how Portuguese retailers tend to flex their muscle way too much to screw consumers over. Matter of fact, I am currently going to court with a PT retailer over their denial of my legal right to return a product within the 14-days. They simply don't care and hope you won't be bothered fighting for your rights. Disgraceful state of affairs, really :(

Hope you have better luck with Apple's customer service.

20. freddy-b thread starter macrumors regular

best of luck :) and thank you.

21. bubulindo macrumors member

bubulindo

If most of us are Portuguese... I can pull an example.

Have you guys heard that Ensitel phone return story that snowballed on the internet? The Barbra Streisand effect I believe it is called.

If they don't return it, just pull something like that against the shop. I, although not living in Portugal, bought mine from the Portuguese online Apple Store (to get the right keyboard without much fuss) and one of the reasons to do so is knowing how Portuguese resellers sometimes behave regarding returns of defective products.
    It's really a hit and miss situation... you can't point a single reseller that has a clean reputation about this issue. :(

Best of luck.

P.S.: It's nice to know I'm not the only Portuguese here. :)

22. iCantwait, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

Hi Freddy,
    First what you must understand is that they are a reseller - If they try to Dead On Arrival (DOA) that machine and provide you with a replacement, Apple will refuse the DOA application as they state this to be acceptable amount of dead pixels, the reseller will have to pay the entire amount of the new machine. You got unlucky with one dead pixel but as they are not Apple they must adhere to the very strict rules that Apple set for its resellers. Financially they cannot afford to do such a thing - resellers only make 8% profit on a CPU sale.

You must understand that it's not that they don't want to return the CPU to Apple but its the fact they can't, that is why you are getting the same response from sales staff and management. The more you push for the result you want the ruder they will seem to you by denying you. Please keep all this in mind next time you speak to them.

23. Squadleader macrumors regular

I cant read it either.....:)

24. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

A single dead pixel is generating all this fuss?

You people can't be serious.

25. mark28 macrumors 68000

Ofcourse, it's unacceptable.

That's why I buy over the internet now, so that I got a 14 day return policy. If i get a dead pixel, it's going back regarding their pixel policy.

And a pixel not working = not 100% function product.