Unofficial Lightning USB Cables and Adapters Launching Soon at Significant Discounts

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 24, 2012.

1. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Wow, that's BS.

2. spasticapple macrumors newbie

I'm all for buying Apple branded accessories but charging $50 for a video adapter is absurd. It's because of the new Lightning's chip that they feel the need to justify the price raise.

Why couldn't they just lower the prices on the 30-pin video adapters to like $30, set the Lightning video adapters to $40, and follow that same pricing on the other accessories?

There is? Can I run an old stripped version of OS X on it? :|

3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

In a year, I'll probably have more than one iOS device that will include the official cable. No need to buy any cables.

4. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

$9 plus $4 shipping for a knock off that Apple charges $19 for? Puh-lease. I'll spend the extra $6 and get the real thing.

5. everything-i macrumors 6502a

Finally

At least there is finally an admission in this story that the cables do not have any secret Apple security built in.

6. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Most companies have the connecter short circuit protected. What I'm saying is that I doubt you would damage the device with these cables.

Also, yes it has some active electronics. Still not expensive. The chips and such used probably add up to under a $1 anyways.

Its still a rip off.

Apple has always ripped people off with their dongles, adapters, cables, chargers. All of their accessories are overpriced anyways.

7. elec999 macrumors regular

8. allpar macrumors 6502

allpar

Ok...

While I see the attraction in saving $10, I agree with the guy who said, "So you risk a £400 device for a saving of £10 on a cable."

Apple most likely gets a greater profit, but it also gives you, almost certainly, a higher quality product. If you want to support "the cheapest crap we can ship while still passing the test for a week or two," feel free.

I've always felt it better to spend a bit more for something that's likely to last ten or more years.

I have my original iPods -- all of them as I upgraded -- I have an original clamshell iBook that's still in daily use (kids!), ... I could go on. Apple generally has high quality standards. Not always but in those cases they usually stand behind them. That's worth a bit of extra payout now. My time and stress level are worth more than $10.

Oh, and I DO remember SCSI cables. Only a fool would skimp on those. A good cable would save you endless troubleshooting.

9. everything-i macrumors 6502a

Yeh, there stuff does look pretty suspect.

10. tempusthales macrumors newbie

tempusthales

Good Luck

I wouldn't touch these cables with a 10 foot pole. Next thing you will have is that something goes wrong and you go to Apple to try and have your device fixed and they won't because you used an unauthorized cable.

Anything that is made from a Chinese manufacture that is unauthorized is very risky and wouldn't justify the cheaper cost.

I would rather wait till Belkin or Griffin come out with something than try these. At least they will be certified by Apple.

11. caffeinejoe macrumors member

caffeinejoe

Ever hear of "Monster" cables? Obviously not iPhone related, but massively overpriced IMHO. It's somewhat of a niche market and some people think that price is directly tied to quality.:confused:

12. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

$15 for a 3rd party cable that will inevitably break or stop working soon after purchase? No thanks. Ill spend $4 more for the real deal.

13. burnside macrumors 6502

I've bought about 50 accessories in the past 5 years for Apple devices, all after market, and not one has bricked or fried my iDevice. Some may have not worked after a year, but hell, even the stock cables I got with my iPhone have had to be replaced within a year.

This cable is definitely different than the previous ones, but it ain't rocket science in the end. It's all hardware based, no software... which makes that one guy's statement about there being a computer in the cable laughable. Yes, using the base definition of a computer, there is one in that cable. Then again, a 10 year old car has over 100 computers in it, lol.

14. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

How old are you? This comment is just too ignorant to tear apart. :rolleyes:

15. Dorje Sylas macrumors 6502

Yes, can we put that nonsensical rumor to bed at last.

16. realeric macrumors 65816

realeric

This. There are no authentication chips in the lightning cable. Making lightning cable is not so difficult as we think.

17. everything-i macrumors 6502a

I used to think that way until a cheap iPhone charger copy I brought from Amazon market went bang and almost set my house on fire. Luckily it was in and put it out and the phone wasn't fried but it's not worth the risk. Also remember that the chips in the cable are only a fraction of the cost of manufacture by the way.

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Good news but I'll let someone else be the guinea pig. A $10 savings isn't worth frying my $600 iPhone.

19. danielwsmithee macrumors 65816

It is still very silly to even use CRC and security in the same sentence.

20. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Where have you been? Apple has been the leader of price gouging on electronics forever.

And it actually costs a few dollars to make.

Exactly. I believe the cost from the 30 pin to lightning is a about a 1000% increase.

Call it whatever you want, but facts are facts. The lightning cables have more technology in them and thus cost more.

21. lilo777 macrumors 603

But they do not do anything that regular (say, USB) cables do. Was it a stupid decision on Apple's part?

22. danielwsmithee macrumors 65816

This sentence is a disservice to the otherwise great post. CRC does not provide basic security, it is not related to security at all.

23. everything-i, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

everything-i macrumors 6502a

Even the copies are expensive, looks like its not so much of a rip off after all.

24. Che Castro macrumors 603

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The problem is SCSI wasn't designed for regular folks, at least it wasn't adopted by regular users. Cost was one of these reasons. Regular folk had PATA, which was cheap.

The Lightning connected is like Parallel cables in your comparison; it's for regular folks, not for enterprises. The Lightning cable doesn't even have fast connectivity.

So yes there was a time where cables were expensive, but those were for enterprises and non-consumers. These are very expensive.