Unopened color swap? SE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by YoitsTmac, Mar 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. YoitsTmac macrumors member

The other day I went into the Verizon store to try and get my mom a basic phone. She dropped her iPhone 5S in the toilet and wanted a phone. I ended up walking out with pre orders for her and I for SE's. We had to choose the color in the moment, and I don't think my more or I will be happy with rose gold. I personally plan to keep this phone for the rest of college.

Do you guys think apple will do color swaps for us if I don't open them? I know Verizon will, but a $35 restocking fee seems a bit crazy for an unopened phone that I'm not "returning." I know apple activates and deactivates sims through the barcode on the box. I'm sure they'd want more inventory of that color, thoughts?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They may, I was thinking of getting a different color, but in the end, I'll have a case on the phone so the color means less to me.

3. person123 macrumors member

Apple definitely won't. iPhones are serialized and it'd be a mess if Apple accepted devices purchased from other stores. What I would do is go in and talk to the manager of that store. Tell him or her "look, the phone is sealed and we've been with Verizon for a while. I plan on staying with you guys so why make a life long customer pay a ridiculous fee for exchanging an unopened phone. It's sealed, you can sell it right back." And just go from there. I'm positive the fee will bee waived.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

In prior years, Apple has exchanged phones for people. It takes more paper work, i.e., do a return, and then buy, but in the end they've processed requests like this, many times without charging a restocking fee.

Heck, I did this very thing at a Verizon store and we know how much better Apple customer support is over VZW

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

I think the ask here is to return an iPhone purchased from another retailer (Verizon) to an Apple Store.

When I worked at Apple, this was not possible.

If the iPhone had originally been purchased from Apple, it'd be a piece of cake.

6. YoitsTmac thread starter macrumors member

So basically, because I bought the phone elsewhere, Apple may not be able to do this? For what it's worth...I've always gone in store and got the phone on launch day in person. I just got excited

7. Jayjew macrumors 6502

Jayjew

Sweets, the rose gold is gorgeous and I'm sure you're mom will love it.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

This is correct. You can liken this to buying a product from Walmart and then wanting to swap it at Target. From a retail standpoint there is no relevance that Apple also "makes" these phones. They will only take returns in exchanges for product sold in an apple store. Even warranties are handled in such a way that if you have an issue day one with a phone you bought elsewhere they give you a refurbished unit; if bought through Apple they'll swap out brand new box.

Unfortunately your options are eating the restocking fee or just using a case. I think rose gold looks great, but to each their own.

9. YoitsTmac thread starter macrumors member

Alright, then she'll keep rose gold. I got her a pink case too for her birthday (4/4), and her 5S had a pink case and she always chased pink cases when she broke one, so I feel confident she will too :). Will post pictures later.

This makes me really upset. I will try my Apple Store anyway. They've been pretty lenient in the past on other things, and I can't lose much from trying. If they can't, I think I will eat the restocking fee. I just don't feel I could rock the rose gold for three years. I think, as a guy, it'd be cool for a week and then I'd have to explain myself every time someone asks "why rose gold?" I think I would get gold. I'm leaving my black 6 or else I'd get black, I dig the two-tone.

On another note, this morning I went to Fedex in an attempt to intercept the package. The lady in front of me caressed her baby for 15 minutes. Within that 15 minutes, I saw a truck leave. When I finally got helped, she said the truck with the package had just left. I then tried to chase down the truck, but 5 minutes had already passed and I live in a densely populated area, so it could have been anywhere. I waited as long as I could at home before heading to class. I updated my tracking info on my iPad when I got to school (wifi only), only to find the delivery was attempted two minutes before class started. Man, no deed goes unpunished :p.
    I just got off the phone and rescheduled for a 3:00 delivery. I now realize why I almost always do in-peron. I get the phone when I want it, and I can see the colors beforehand. Instead, my day has been revolving around UPS. The second I get my package, I'll be going to my local Apple Store, and if necessary, then Verizon.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oh I see - sorry, you're right. My mistake.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

As a side note, if you do need to eat the restocking fee, try and see if version will just credit your account when you call in. You can explain it was never opened and so there's no real loss to the company.

I understand the principle behind restocking fees on phones but not so much when they're still factory sealed. An opened phone is a decent loss for the company. A sealed phone can just get sold to the next buyer at retail.