Unpleasant experience with Apple Store order / iPhone 6S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by masotime, Sep 18, 2015.

1. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

I just had a pretty unpleasant experience with regard to my Apple Store orders for the iPhone 6S / 6S+.

Like many others, I ordered using the Apple Store app, and I paid using Apple Pay. When iOS 9 rolled out a few days later and I upgraded (full restore), I had to re-register my credit card to Apple Pay (I'm not sure if this is standard practice).

Yesterday afternoon I received an e-mail that my payment had been declined - I didn't notice it earlier unfortunately. Apparently it tried to charge against the old "Device Account Number" and it didn't go through, so I had to change it for one of my orders.

I had 2 orders for the iPhone 6S and 1 for the 6S+. I couldn't change the payment methods online so I called up Apple to do so.

They made the change, and then the CS Rep informed me that "I had 3 orders and they would all be cancelled". There's no indication of this on the online web page (they all show "Processing..."). I had to cancel one, but I have no idea how all this is going to affect my delivery dates.

This is just a heads up - I'm not sure if anyone else might be facing the same issues.

2. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

If they successfully changed your payment method, why would they cancel the orders?

3. gCloud macrumors 6502a

Did they cancel cause u changed payment method or because u ordered too many?

4. masotime thread starter macrumors 68000

masotime

Because I ordered too many. I'm just annoyed that I didn't get any indication from the online store that it was "blocked" (according to the CS Rep).

5. masotime thread starter macrumors 68000

masotime

To clarify - I got to choose which one to cancel, but it's annoying all the same.

6. gCloud macrumors 6502a

Not too bad, it used to say maximum 2 per customer.

7. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

Are they for other family members or what? We all order under our own Apple IDs. We've never ordered that many phones all at once, but I'd hope that all ordering individually would keep that from being a problem.

8. masotime thread starter macrumors 68000

masotime

Yeah ordering under different Apple IDs would definitely have avoided this issue, I just wish I didn't have to find out via an unrelated call to the CS Rep.

The Apple Pay issue is also annoying - I'd advise anyone who did a full restore to get iOS 9 on their iPhone to check their orders...

9. gCloud macrumors 6502a

Agree, apple pay not great for items not in stock/pre-orders. I had same problem when i sold my ip6 after preordering with apple pay.

10. TechnicallyTee macrumors demi-god

TechnicallyTee

Yep, I received the same email yesterday saying my payment was declined. I had a feeling this was going to be the case because I paid with AppleCare on my 6+, once everything went through and I received confirmation, I wiped it and boxed it up since I had already sold it. So I get the email yesterday so I just online and put the same card info where I paid through Apple Pay and then everything was good to go. The email stated they would try to charge the card every 24hrs and if it kept being declined after 7 days then the order would be cancelled.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, this is standard practice. Removing Apple Pay-associated cards inactivates the device account number and hence the card, prompting Apple to send you an email to update your payment method.

12. bueller1 macrumors 6502

I'm confused. Can someone elaborate what The cause of that decline is. I ordered on my iPad which has 9.1 beta on it. I just did an erase all earlier today to clear some things out.

13. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

Wow ... so this is pretty eye opening. So what we're saying here is, if you have an active Apple Pay paid preorder, NEVER do a full restore until the payment has actually cleared. Sounds to me like a bit of a "bug" in the Apple Pay process. You'd think that the transaction at the point of sale would be enough validation, then move forward with the full purchase with that same information. It shouldn't have to care if a new token was put in. I realize it's the equivalent of your credit card expiring by date, so it's a bit of a slippery slope (kinda talked myself down there ... lol)

In layman's terms, your Apple Pay token ID is dependent not only on the CC information, but also if it's active. If that credit card changes Apple Pay IDs at any time, the old one is rendered "expired" and any pending purchases with the info will get rejected. A bit of a inconvenience this time around, thanks to the 2 week preorder period and a new iOS release in the middle of it.

14. JayLenochiniMac, Sep 18, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2015

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Did you pay via Apple Pay? Erasing the iPhone/iPad removes Apple Pay-associated cards with their unique DANs (Device Account Numbers) and as such, they're no longer active.

15. bueller1 macrumors 6502

Yes I paid with Apple Pay. But that card is also the same card I use for iTunes

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Apple Pay transactions go by DANs, regardless of where else you have the same card. Even if you pay via Apple Pay, delete the card then immediately add back the same card, it still won't work because every time you re-add the same card it'll acquire a different DAN.

17. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

It's the difference between a real time POS (point of sale) transaction that's instantaneously closed (since an iTunes purchase is merely a flag giving you permission), and a lagging preorder in which validation is done first (precharge) then charged once the product is secured (which most of us saw yesterday). That DAN needs to remain active until the POS is actually enacted.

18. kevroc macrumors 6502

My guess would be that Apple Pay is stored on your device, not in the cloud. When you wipe / reset your device it clears out the information stored just like it does for Touch ID and your fingerprints.

If Apple then tries to authenticate against your Apple Pay details, it fails because it can't find the device / payment details because they are no longer stored on your device. If you re-add your card to Apple Pay it is going to establish a new ID.

Outside of the pre-order situation, this is a good security measure as you don't want to sell your device an have someone else have your same device number when registering their credit card.

19. bueller1 macrumors 6502

Just called and spoke to a supervisor of some sort and was told that it shouldn't be an issue that I wiped my device out, and in the event of a payment issue they'll email me to make the appropriate changes before they cancel anything. She said "we would never want you to lose your place, we know how excited you are for your new iPhone" lol.

20. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Had the same issue with Apple Pay. I received the decline email after restoring the phone to 8.4.1 then upgraded to 9.0.

Went ahead and used the actual credit card number.

I had payment issues last time. I did not lose my place in line and received the phone on launch day.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Exactly what I wrote earlier:

22. bueller1 macrumors 6502

Lol I missed that

23. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I'm confused, why wouldn't doing a full restore require you to set up Apple Pay over again?

24. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

Because all your previous information is retained. A full restore will wipe every piece of data, including you Apple Pay DANs.

25. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It will require you to set up Apple Pay again, but it won't matter because even the same card will acquire a different DAN (device account number) and hence won't be linked with the preorder.