Unplug Internal iMac Screen?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AmazingHenry, Sep 30, 2016.

1. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

So I have an iMac, late 2006, with an 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo. It has a 17 inch screen, but that screen has been going crazy lately. It's completely unusable. So I've attached an Apple Cinema Display (the older model, with no camera), which I use as the main one. The problem is, whenever I boot from a CD, or go into Open Firmware, it shows up on my iMac's 17 inch screen, so I can barley see anything. I've taken apart this iMac before, and I know where the screen is attached. Could I just unplug the internal screen? If I did, would the external one be used as the main one, just like a Power Mac or Mac Pro? Would the iMac even boot? Thanks for any help.

2. danielwsmithee macrumors 65816

More than likely yes that is exactly what would happen. If your going through the trouble of taking it apart can you find a used screen on eBay to throw in it instead?

3. AmazingHenry thread starter macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

I don't think I'll be getting a used screen, I don't really use this iMac much anyway, and I like my bigger, nicer external display. I'll be detaching that screen now. Thanks!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 30, 2016 ---
    I've gotten partial success. The iMac is running Snow Leopard, so it boots up to the Apple, and then the screen goes blue. I waited 5 minutes, and then restarted the iMac while holding down Command+Option+P+R. This time I got to the Snow Leopard default desktop picture (which is also my account desktop picture) and then it stops there. I'm going to try re-installing Snow Leopard and see what that does.