Unplugging External Monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sebastian79, May 30, 2018.

1. Sebastian79 macrumors regular

Sebastian79

My mbp did not turn on only after some 5 attempts after I unplugged the usb-c monitor cable while the computer was still running. Could this have been the cause? If yes, what is the proper way of doing it? Should I shut down the computer before unplugging the external monitor?
    Thanks in advance!

2. Weaselboy, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Apple's info on clamshell mode says you should put the MacBook to sleep before disconnecting an external monitor like that. But that said, not following that guidance would in no way cause it not to boot now. Sounds like you have something else going on.

3. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I have a 2017 13' TB MacBook Pro - and I use 2 external monitors. I prefer not to run in clamshell mode because the laptop runs a bit hotter when I do. Don't have to shut down the computer before unplugging the external monitor in / out of clamshell mode.

In Clamshell mode if I pull all the external monitors, the computer goes to sleep and wakes instantly when I open. But since I now usually keep my laptop open, pulling external monitors has no effect.

Like Weaselboy said - sounds like something else is wrong.