iPad mini Unprecedented disappointment.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by badservice, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badservice, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2014

badservice macrumors newbie

Unprecedented disappointment. That is all I have to say.

To begin the week, my mid 2012 MacBook Pro quit working on me. I brought it in to the Apple Store and ended up paying around $5000 HKD ($645USD) to get a new logic board. Since there was nothing I could do other than that, I paid the price.

Shortly after that unfortunate event, I purchased a smart cover for my iPad Mini. The following day, as I was walking, it slipped out of my hands and the screen cracked. I was disappointed that the smart cover offered no protection at all.

After the accident, I did some research online about warranty and Apple service. I read that although the warranty does not cover damage from falls, people have been satisfied with how Apple customer service dealt with their problems. I read that Apple’s customer service is regarded as one of the best because they sympathize and care more about the relationship with the customer than the money. There were many cases where people received new devices although they had no right to get it. The workers put themselves in the customer’s shoes and dealt with the problem from that perspective.

After reading all those positive and uplifting remarks, I felt more relaxed and comforted by the thought that Apple would probably replace my device. I had been a loyal Apple customer for many years and have spent a lot of money on many of their devices and was greatly satisfied until now.

I brought my broken iPad to the shop and asked if there were any available Genius Bar sessions. The man I was talking to told me that I would have to pay to fix it because the warranty doesn’t cover accidents. It was understandable for him to say that, so I asked to speak to the manager.

Once the manager came, we sat down and began to talk. I told him that I have been a loyal customer for many years and that I recently paid a lot of money to fix my computer at the same shop. I asked if they could give me a one time free repair out of the kindness of their hearts. He took my iPad and disappeared into the back and told me he would see what he could do about it.

After coming out, he told me that he couldn’t give me a replacement and that I would have to pay. He was also overconfident and cocky in the way he talked. I told him about all the stories I have read online and he said that they were rumors or unheard of. I started growing angry, but I tried my best to keep it in.

Instead of replacing it, he offered a case for free only if I paid for the repair cost ($1600HKD, $200US). He also made an offer to give the case and AppleCare if I purchased a brand new iPad. After paying a bunch of money to fix a different Apple product, I had to intent to pay even more.

I felt as if he had no sympathy or as if he didn’t care for me as a loyal customer. He tried to offer a cheap looking case along with a repair that is expensive. I quietly rejected the offer and left unsatisfied on a bad note.

What I don’t understand is why they wouldn’t see the issue from my point of view. I heard that Apple was great at doing that, but I was greatly disappointed after this experience. I know that I am not obliged to receive a new device, but it was as if they didn’t really care about me at all. It was also very disappointing to see that he cared more about the money than the satisfaction of the customer. The cost to replace the glass on a screen would cost Apple almost nothing since their company is already so large and rich, but they still insisted that I would have to pay a lot.

If I were given the replacement iPad, I would have left a satisfied costumer. I probably would have been willing to come back and buy the next iPad that gets released, giving Apple even more money. Since I had such a bad experience, I do not intend to buy any more products from Apple. They have lost me as a loyal customer and I will not recommend them to anybody anymore.

I am immensely disappointed, Apple.

- A rational customer

2. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Why don't you see if kleenex will send you some free tissues:) Screw Apple they made you drop your iPad:rolleyes:

3. VI™ macrumors 6502a

Plain and simple, you broke it and it's not covered by warranty. If you don't like the way that manager handled it, go to another. If I were you though, I wouldn't roll in to a shop and expect them to fix a product you damaged. That would be like me expecting for to replace a car that I ran in to a wall.

Now, if you told them the screen just magically shattered on it's own, that might get a different response. They'd probably ask you to see proof of said magic first though...

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

So by your logic - bad customer service = not replacing your dropped iPad for free?

I assume you'll also be pissed when Ford don't replace your car for free when you crash it?

Or Samsung don't replace your TV when you throw the remote through it?

You're an adult - take responsibility for your own actions. You dropped it, not Apple. Plus, if you think Apple really cares about your $400 bucks, think again. They will still sell out of iPads next launch day whether you buy one or not. Plus, a word of advice - asking for a free repair is the one way you can guarantee not getting one ;).

5. 156457 macrumors 6502

Oh boo hoo, you dropped your iPad and because Apple didn't replace it they're the bad guys? Why should they replace it? They are a business not a charity.

6. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

I love how you guys glossed over the part where Apple's expensive Smart Cover failed to do its job.

7. Ries macrumors 68000

"mid 2012 MacBook Pro broke" after 1.5 years... how about apple taking responsibility for their products.

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Apple's warranty is one year. That's one year, not 1.5 years...so if you don't have Applecare...it's one year.

There certainly is a feeling of self involved entitlement.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Smart Cover? The little flap of polyurethane that covers the glass panel is apparently supposed to prevent damage from being dropped?

It's little better than a screen protector and it's not like the lack of damage protection is surprising as when you put it on you physically handle the product and would need to be particularly dense not to realise that it's a little flap of polyurethane that covers the glass.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think a smart cover is designed like a life proof case that will protect it from drops and other mishaps. There is a level of protection it does afford the user but clearly dropping a tablet is not one of those.

11. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Just be thankful this is the worst disappointment you've had in life so far. Believe me, it only goes downhill from here. :)

I've never seen the point of the smart cover. It's about as protective as a sheet of paper. The smart case, OTOH, does offer a little edge protection. Go to apple.com and look at the marketing blurb for each. The smart cover does not mention "protection" at all. It's primary benefit is keeping the screen clean.

12. Arid macrumors member

Arid

Just can't believe the level of self-entitlement displayed! Apple is a business, not a charity! Get real!

13. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

If you are that concerned about your Apple devices, then put Applecare on them. Would have covered the MacBook. If you are going to mishandle them, then do not blame Apple for not wanting to fix them for free. End of story on the iPad. Apple did what any business should have done, asked for payment for their services on out of warranty products.

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

I don't understand.

Why did you think the smart cover offered any protection against drops?

Same question. Please explain exactly how you expect a smart cover protect a dropped ipad?

15. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Do you seriously expect it to protect when he drops his iPad from some height? That's not its job. And "slipped out of his hands" means there is a good chance that the cover was pulled off before the fall, or that he used the iPad while walking so the cover wasn't over the screen at all.

The Apple employee also offered two different freebies to make him happy. Now the customer calling the employee "overconfident and cocky" seems to indicate a serious attitude problem on the customer's side. And he claims they didn't see it from his point of view - clearly they did, as he was even offered a free cover and Apple Care.

Now if anyone who has a broken Samsung tablet can tell us what Samsung would do…

16. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Too bad OP but it mostly sounds like your fault since you were the one who dropped it and all.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Since the OP removed his post, he no longer wants to discuss this topic - I've restored the post to maintain the continuity of the discussion but I'm locking the thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.