Unresponsive screen ipad pro 12.9 2nd gen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by manyelski, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Otflyer, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019

Otflyer macrumors 6502a

Otflyer

The problem never occurs in any fashion while I’m using my Apple Pencil. Go figure!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 7, 2019 ---
    That’s what I experienced also.
    In my case, leaving the pencil magnetically attached while using my finger helps but, doesn’t completely eliminate the problem.
    People have reported here that exchanging their iPad doesn’t fix it. It re-emerges on the replacement iPad. There seemingly is no cure.

2. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

I think anyone with a newer iPad that is experiencing this problem should not expect for it to be cured by exchanging it for a new one, well, not yet anyway.

3. CoachRHD, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019

CoachRHD macrumors newbie

I'm believe this is a hardware issue!

I didn't have this unresponsive problem on my new 3rd gen 12.9 for the first month. Then it appeared and got worse over the course of a few weeks. Apple gave me a replacement. I immediately installed the iCloud backup from my unresponsive iPad onto the replacement. Since doing so, I haven't experienced this issue.

If it were software, wouldn't the same software installed on the new iPad manifest the same unresponsive problems? Now, maybe (in time) the problem will appear on the new iPad. If so, I'd then suspect it to be a hardware issue due to the flexibility of the device, or perhaps constant finger use on the screen.

4. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

Interesting...I see something of a non responsive screen (12.9 Pro) sometimes but I'm not sure if it is just the app, safari bug, dry fingers because of the wintertime....*shrugs

5. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

It’s definitely perplexing. A software problem would mean a new iPad running that software (iOS) should have the problem. A hardware problem would mean a new iPad should have the problem right out of the box.

Weird that initially all is functioning perfectly then the problem slowly creeps in.

Weird that leaving the (my) Pencil attached cures the problem.

Weird that while using the (my) Pencil there are no problems at all.

Weird.

6. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

^ Hardware problem not always right out of the box. Mine started to develop these symptoms about 6 weeks in after an area of the iPad Pro got very hot several times during drawing sessions.

Sometimes though, that does happen out of the box as was the case for the 10.5 I returned two days after purchase for all of the issues I had with the 12.9 and more.

I will just migrate to a Wacom tablet when I am ready to. Apple has had time to address this and they haven’t, so I’ll find other solutions

7. kotty macrumors member

Apparentely my is getting worse.....
    Used to happen 2-3 times an hour, but now its happening every 5 minutes......

8. mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

also forge of empires... cannot collect or battle

9. mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

that is pretty much the same when you reset the ipad and start it as a new... works few weeks fine then becomes slowly unresponsive, at first once a day, then few times a day and finally it lags so badly that you want to throw it against the wall.

10. jlevy73 macrumors member

Have the 11 inch iPad Pro since day 1 and the touchscreen became unresponsive out of nowhere. Tried all the tricks listed in this post and nothing fixed it. Made an appt at the genius bar, explained the issue and they replaced the device under warranty. Been a few days now and everything seems fine. Like others have reported, my iPad was fine when I first got it. Was only after about 45 days the problem started to occur. So IMO it's a hardware issue.

11. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

Same with my 12.9 2018. Works fine with the Apple pencil. Sigh

12. Nv1990 macrumors newbie

Nv1990

I BELAVE I have the same iPad issue as you also we have the same iPad Pro 12.9 2nd gen too

13. Ladybug macrumors 68000

Ladybug

I have the same problem as you described on my 10.5 and I do use a glass screen protector. As you say, I exit the app and go right back in the problem disappears for awhile.

14. macdragonfl macrumors 6502a

macdragonfl

I had a 12.9 2nd gen pro it had the screen issue along with light bleed from the edge. It was out of warranty. I took it in I got normal trade in plus extra on 3rd gen one. Hoping this is over.

15. DragonX macrumors member

Trade-in is like buying a new iPad :( It was the first thing they suggested me. I would have paid ~$900 or something like that (for Apple's manufacturing problem, even not mine) in the end. No way.

16. macdragonfl macrumors 6502a

macdragonfl

It was getting a new iPad. I was offered a refurb no charge or 600 for a new one. I use it extensively in my business everyday. So it was my choice, definitely not optimal but necessary being I don't want another of the same design and have the same problem again. I did not have AppleCare.

17. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Well, unfortunately, it's happening on 3rd gen pros, as well. Good luck.

18. macdragonfl macrumors 6502a

macdragonfl

It’s a crap shoot for sure and I did get AppleCare on this one. I will raise some hell if the new one has any issue whatsoever. For the LTE model I had I was given fair resale value. It was not their first offer, it was my counter offer. They take these cases as they come and it should not be that way.

19. pdoherty macrumors regular

(anyone else notice this forum makes text editing difficult? Like I tried to select all and then drag to deselect all but the last paragraph on my 12.9" iPad and it doesn't work, so now I'm replying to the entire post. Ironic.)

I think Apple needs to stop working on smaller and thinner and stick with a form factor that allows thick enough metal to provide structural support/strength.

20. Dave-Z macrumors 6502a

The problem is:
    1. Jony Ives is obsessed with the idea of the entire device being just a single sheet of glass.
    2. The increased thickness means more metal. Even minute increases is a significant cost increase when manufacturing millions of devices (this, btw, is Tim's obsession).

21. pdoherty macrumors regular

Use your cell phone to record when it's acting up.