Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Betonos

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
Does rebooting the device help you? In my case it almost always helps for some time, but then the issue returns (usually really soon, within few hours).
[doublepost=1553431425][/doublepost]Look here is a video I took of me using Paper app. Each stroke is supposed to go from top to bottom. Several strokes are not fully registered.

[doublepost=1553431538][/doublepost]And here is 2017 thread with some recent answers on iFixIt, (sorry if somebody already linked earlier in this thread) with several hundred answers:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View...touchscreen+is+unresponsive+from+time+to+time

Daniel_81

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2019
Germany
Unfortuntely a reboot doesnt help.

Also restoring the iPad (with or without Backup) does not solve this issue.

It is my fourth ipad and the issue occurs on each of them. It cannot be that much of bad luck while others using their iPads without any issue.

Maybe i‘m using it wrong...

Reactions: dk001 and g75d3

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
Same Story for me :(

• Bought iPad Pro 12.9 Cellular in Sept. 2017 (2nd Generation)
  • Issue that Touch Screen is not responding occured first time in Jan 2018
  • This iPad was replaced in March 2018 at the Genius Bar. It was not possible to show / reproduce the issue - but iPad was replaced without ans further discussions
  • This new iPad works really well for round about 3-4months... then the issue occured again
  • iPad gets replaced another time in Sept. 2018 (via AppleCare)
  • Bought new iPad Pro 12.9 in November 2018 (3rd Generation with FaceID)
  • In Jan 2019 the issue occured the first time on the brand new iPad

I‘m currently try to make a video when the issue occures to get it replaced soon...

But even if i get a new one - i can bet that the issue will show again.

So sad :(

Your last two points are my situation exactly.

Don’t know if you also bought the Pencil but, I did, and if I leave it in place the screen problems go away, which is the only reason Incontinue to own and use this device.

I don’t think exchanging for another new iPad is going to cure anything until a fix is found, whether that’s hardware or software related who knows? But I can’t see Apple publicly acknowledging this problem until there is a fix because it would make the majority of potential buyers not purchase one.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains

• This iPad was replaced in March 2018 at the Genius Bar. It was not possible to show / reproduce the issue - but iPad was replaced without ans further discussions
  • This new iPad works really well for round about 3-4months... then the issue occured again

I‘m currently try to make a video when the issue occures to get it replaced soon...

I am on my 4th iPad Pro 12.9 G2 for exactly this issue.
Not buying another.

I have a pencil and that device usually works with minimal issue.

appleofmyibook

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016

I may have worked something out:

Do you detach your pencil when using the iPad Pro normally? My normal habit is to detach it because I like holding it in portrait and sometimes I knock it. When the issue started occurring again, I noticed that both times it started (on the original unit and then on this one), the Pencil was hot.

The stuttering starts some time after I remove the pencil and lay it flat. Even if I ‘forget device’ or disconnect Bluetooth it continues. If my iPad is sitting idle for a while and then I pick it up and leave the Pencil on, the Pencil remains hot but I cannot get it to stutter at all. I’ve been on it for an hour with so many different apps going and not a single stutter. Back to its buttery smooth responsiveness.

Reactions: Codeseven

Betonos

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
I have apple pencil and the above test with erratic lines was done when pencil was docked to the side of ipad. For detached pencil same results. So, pencil in my case doesn’t change anything.

Reactions: g75d3

appleofmyibook

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
I have apple pencil and the above test with erratic lines was done when pencil was docked to the side of ipad. For detached pencil same results. So, pencil in my case doesn’t change anything.

What if you leave your pencil docked on it overnight and then in the morning pick it up - feel to see if your pencil is hot? And don't take it off?

I'm certain that it's got something to do with Bluetooth now. But even when I turn it off I get the same issue. It's crazy.

Out of curiosity if you're OK with divulging - apart from the Pencil, what other devices do you have in your Bluetooth list?
[doublepost=1553463731][/doublepost]I've tweeted Rene Ritchie. He's also a legend. I really hope he'll respond and try to get Apple's attention for us. I am so crippled with work. I have sold my laptop! I can't afford for this to keep happening.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
I'll be trying this off and on during today and will update what happens.
Crossing fingers ....

Been using this IPP G2 for 6 hours now with the pencil plugged in and the screen has been acting really good. So far minimal unresponsiveness :eek:
It is risky, crazy looking, but working so far.

Other items in my BT:
H5 B&O headphones
Marley Liberte Speaker
Apple Pencil

Only the Pencil is currently connected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Codeseven

appleofmyibook

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
Interesting! I would put money on it having to do with pencil connectivity now. (Wow.. Did I crack an Apple mystery)

I'm telling you with the iPad Pro 3rd gen with the pencil attached on the side, the Pencil gets really really hot. So I think there's something going on there.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Been using this IPP G2 for 6 hours now with the pencil plugged in and the screen has been acting really good. So far minimal unresponsiveness :eek:
It is risky, crazy looking, but working so far.

Other items in my BT:
H5 B&O headphones
Marley Liberte Speaker
Apple Pencil

Only the Pencil is currently connected.

Second update: Battery getting low on the IPP so I unplugged the pencil and plugged in the cable. Within several minutes controls like “thumbs up” and “Reply” on this site worked intermittently. Then a few minutes later sporadic screen swipe failures started.

Plugging the pencil back in did not fix the issue. A reboot with the pencil plugged in appears to have fixed things. Now an hour later with the pencil pluigged in, screen is running fine.
623F7CF1-4E12-41A3-92F2-2B3518948A7A.jpeg
Serious serious PITA.

Last edited:

Betonos

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
What if you leave your pencil docked on it overnight and then in the morning pick it up - feel to see if your pencil is hot? And don't take it off?

I'm certain that it's got something to do with Bluetooth now. But even when I turn it off I get the same issue. It's crazy.

Out of curiosity if you're OK with divulging - apart from the Pencil, what other devices do you have in your Bluetooth list?
[doublepost=1553463731][/doublepost]I've tweeted Rene Ritchie. He's also a legend. I really hope he'll respond and try to get Apple's attention for us. I am so crippled with work. I have sold my laptop! I can't afford for this to keep happening.

I never leave pencil docked overnight, but very often at my work it stays docked for several hours without being detached. Said this, it never got hot, even moderately close to hot.

On my BT list there are only AirPods besides the pencil. I've tried with bt off and on during one of the incidents, and toggling BT didn't help. In my case:

What helps, at least for some time:
  • Reboot
  • Not using the iPad for some time (? not sure about this, but I have suspicion this kind of resets the issue)
What doesn't seem to help at all:
  • Turning bluetooth on/off
  • Turning various accesibility options, including Touch Assist, 60hz mode and many more
  • Moving the ipad / placing it flat (the movie above was recorded with iPad laying perfectly flat, but I also have the issue holding iPad in hands)
  • Discharging my static electricity (somewhere I read this might be the culprit)
Additional observation is, I believe this issue is limited to 120hz enabled devices only, that is iPad Pro 12.9" 2nd gen, 3rd gen and iPad pro 10.5". Haven't seen any records about iPad Pro 11", but have seen some about iPad pro 10.5" However, the 12.9" seems most affected. Haven't seen any reports about gen1 though (my friend has one, and it works flawlessly). Gen 1 didn't have 120hz.
[doublepost=1553499413][/doublepost]Here's a thread on guys having same problem on iPad Pro 11":

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ipad-pro-11”-touch-issues-with-typing.2167924/
[doublepost=1553499646][/doublepost]Here's a thread on guys having issues with screen protectors on last gen iPad Pros (11" and 12.9" too), I believe many of them are having underlying touch screen issues, on the last page I've found somebody admitting there was screen failure:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...glass-screen-protector-issues.2153098/page-45

Reactions: dk001

appleofmyibook

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
I tested again tonight. I think Bluetooth is definitely the culprit. Those times you kept your pencil docked was your iPad stuttering?

Betonos

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
I tested again tonight. I think Bluetooth is definitely the culprit. Those times you kept your pencil docked was your iPad stuttering?

Before I answer this, I will add one piece of important information:

1. I've observed that once the issue starts appearing, for example I see problems scrolling in Safari, the issue goes away after a moment (for example I have problem registering one or more initial swipes, but then, after a moment this issue goes away and I'm able to swipe in the safari as if nothing happened). Let's call this occurence an "Incident"
  2. I've observed that when you have witnessed Incident and it went away after a while, I can very often (but not always) reproduce it immediately after the first Incident by going to home screen (swipe up from the bottom in my case, ipad pro 3rd gen) and by going back into the app (in this example, click Safari again). Once I do this, the Incident very often happens again, and after few swipes/seconds goes away. Then, when i go to home again and back to the app, here is another Incident. This way I can multiple times during one session provoke multiple Incidents. However, after some time (or reboot or several screen locks) the issue usually goes away (i can scroll within apps without problems) until at some moment it appears again.
  3. Usually (but not always!) the very first Incident in a given series of Incidents starts the same way, I mean right after launching an app. It rarely happens mid-time during using an app.
When testing this way during one of the Incident series (I was able to reproduce Incidents consistently for 10 or more minutes by going out of the app and back to the app) I was able to test the following:

1. Bluetooth off => didn't help, I was able to reproduce
  2. Bluetooth on again => didnt help
  3. attach apple pencil => didn't help
  4. detach apple pencil => yea, didn't help too
  5. turn on/off various accesibility options => no change, still able to reproduce
  6. touch well grounded metal heater to dispose of static charge on my body and iPad (not advicing to do it like this, you can harm your device or yourself this way!) => no change
  7. flex the ipad a bit various ways (again, don't do this) => I think there *might* have been a bit of influence, but I was not able to track it down, however I believe I could see this problem getting worse under certain flexing
  8. use it horizontally / vertically => no change
  9. lay it flat on table => no change
  10. keep it in hand => no change

Generally, no matter what I did, the issue was there. Then I've rebooted. After reboot, no issue.

All this above on latest iOS 12.2 public beta 6.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
I own a 12.9 second gen. that I've already had replaced once due to unresponsiveness. My original unit was quite bad and the replacement is better but still acts up.

In my case, the Pencil and Bluetooth or being plugged into power or not have nothing to do with the unresponsiveness. Mine seems to go unresponsive when I'm holding it landscape at around a 30 to 45 degree angle, such as using it on my lap. When it does become unresponsive, moving it to a full vertical or horizontal position seems to fix it. It also seems to always work fine when in portrait orientation. So, in my case, I think it's either a bad sensor or a screen issue.

I think there are several scenarios going on here. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Started this morning unplugging my IPP (12.9 G2) and within 10-15 minutes sporadic touch failures started. By the end of the first hour failures accounted for almost half of the touches / swipes. This also applies to multi-finger touches.

Plugged in pencil - no change.
Turned off BT - no change.
Plugged in pencil and rebooted - after 45 minutes all is working well.

I am going to leave the pencil in for several hours today (battery willing) and see what occurs.
If someone has a scenario they would like me to try let me know. I will if I can.

Note: my IPP is attached to an ASK. This is my normal mode of using it.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
Just to clarify. I leave the Pencil attached overnight while the iPad charges. I use my iPad without being plugged into a charger. Pencil detached = stutters, Pencil attached - no stutters.

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
Started this morning unplugging my IPP (12.9 G2) and within 10-15 minutes sporadic touch failures started. By the end of the first hour failures accounted for almost half of the touches / swipes. This also applies to multi-finger touches.

Plugged in pencil - no change.
Turned off BT - no change.
Plugged in pencil and rebooted - after 45 minutes all is working well.

I am going to leave the pencil in for several hours today (battery willing) and see what occurs.
If someone has a scenario they would like me to try let me know. I will if I can.

Note: my IPP is attached to an ASK. This is my normal mode of using it.

Thank you for posting your experience. I’m having this issue for almost 1 year and I spent maybe 80 hours total trying to fix or find the cause. There are now YouTube videos, Amazon reviews forums threads on this issue with tons of different suggestions and I tried them all. This included Bluetooth, various connection settings, pencil, Accessibility options, Pro Motion, Factory Reset, Network Reet, restore from backup, cleaning iPad, rotating, putting at different angles. Using different Apple genuine chargers, backside protectors (I don’t have any screen protectors), tweaking almost all Settings on the iPad and removing/installing different applications, using different versions of iOS.

Nothing helped :( After a while, on the next day or immediately the issue returns back no matter what. I think it’s a hardware issue that you can’t fix by yourself and it develops with time on all models of the IPad 2015-2018. Usually it starts within a year on a new iPad and wishing 3-4 months on replacement/refurbished.

Apple never confirmed the issue so we don’t know the exact cause of it, but it’s something hardware-related. Probably some kind of static electricity problem with the touch screen. The only way to fix it is to make Apple somehow admit it and fix on their site.

P.S. sorry for the typos, I’m typing this on my problematic iPad.

Last edited:

appleofmyibook

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
Just to clarify. I leave the Pencil attached overnight while the iPad charges. I use my iPad without being plugged into a charger. Pencil detached = stutters, Pencil attached - no stutters.
That’s exactly the same with me!

I think all of our issues are because of Bluetooth. Even when we turn Bluetooth off.

OK let me see if I can narrow this further:

Does everyone experiencing this issue have a Pencil?

Reactions: Codeseven and dk001

FaustsHausUK

Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I’m experiencing erratic touch response on ipad pro 12.9 2018. Initiallynal was well, but it started a month or two ago In my case it goes like this: sometimes scrolling in apps get unreaponsive, sometimes I have to retry to scroll several times untill it works. Sometimes I’m loosing seceral first characters typed on onscreen keyboard. Today I"ve noticed that this issue starts showing up after app is brought from background. See attached film, where safari geta unreaponsive when brought from background. You can see as it ignores my swipe first, then starts interpretting as text selection (what?!?). I was able to reproduce 100%, also in other apps like mail. But then I’ve restarted and the issue is gone. But I know it will go back because it always comes back. Hopefuly, in case of this model, it is software issue. Because it seems so.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0b0uvrrsff4jnGt0c0iPO2urw

Yep, this is the issue I had. It was more pronounced on my first iPad Pro, but the replacement Apple sent me also has the issue. I'm pretty certain it's an issue with the hardware as built at this point.

iJohnnyG

macrumors regular
May 7, 2011
Newcastle

I think all of our issues are because of Bluetooth. Even when we turn Bluetooth off.

No. I don’t have a pencil and I’m on my second 3rd gen device.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014

IPP 12.9 G2 with Pencil and ASK. The issue started about 4-5 months after my initial purchase and am now on my 4th IPP.

spacebro

Suspended
Oct 1, 2015

I have the pencil and I'm on my 4th iPad with this touch issue. The issue happens whether the pencil is connected or not. 2 of them were 2017 and I'm on my 2nd 2018 and I had Apple Pencil for both versions. I have not yet seen the touch issue in this latest one but I've only had it for a week. These things work without glitching, in the beginning, even when the iPad is warm.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014

My first iPad Pro 10.5 started having the touch screen issue about 6 months in. Didn’t own a pencil. Had it replaced in November, so the one I have now is coming up to the 6 month mark. I now have a pencil and have had one paired to it for a couple weeks now. My new and current iPad Pro 10.5 has not had any touch issues (knocking on wood).

I’m not sure what the common cause with this could be. So far I’m not seeing any difference between pencil and no pencil.

All is good so far and hoping it stays this way.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.