Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
i took your advice and downloaded the beta today. I have not experienced any unresponsiveness, whereas i was getting them frequently everything on ios 12. Hoping this is permanent.

Good luck! I want to believe! But I'm not a believer anymore.
Unfortunately I've seen many times here and on iFixit how there were reports from several people who updated to various betas (12.0, 12.1, 12.2 etc) that seem to have fixed the problem for them. Some of them were definitely paid Apple employees. But then after the final release there was a big wave of folks who updated but the update didn't change anything. The responsiveness and all the touch problems came back after a while. That's a hardware problem after all.

Reactions: g75d3

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Good luck! I want to believe! But I'm not a believer anymore.
Unfortunately I've seen many times here and on iFixit how there were reports from several people who updated to various betas (12.0, 12.1, 12.2 etc) that seem to have fixed the problem for them. Some of them were definitely paid Apple employees. But then after the final release there was a big wave of folks who updated but the update didn't change anything. The responsiveness and all the touch problems came back after a while. That's a hardware problem after all.

How are you sure its 100% hardware? Has that been confirmed?

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
Well my IPP 12.9 gen 3 will be shipped back to Apple to be “fixed” I have no faith in that happening after reading all these pages.
[doublepost=1565533351][/doublepost]Well my IPP 12.9 gen 3 will be shipped back to Apple to be “fixed” I have no faith in that happening after reading all these pages.

mia-rafael

Suspended
May 21, 2016
Well my IPP 12.9 gen 3 will be shipped back to Apple to be “fixed” I have no faith in that happening after reading all these pages.
[doublepost=1565533351][/doublepost]Well my IPP 12.9 gen 3 will be shipped back to Apple to be “fixed” I have no faith in that happening after reading all these pages.
I just got a refurbished 12.9 inch 2nd gen iPad Pro and noticed the glitch with the screen during the first hour of use, I was told to send it back for a replacement.

From googling and reading all these threads I’m now wondering if apples QC took a nose dive, I had stuff in the past like faulty Bluetooth in a Mac mini, batteries, 4g and even video cards and Apple refuse to admit this and even had their cyber bullies insult me and bury the threats until a large number of people started class actions yet they only offered lollipops solutions compared to the money we all spend on their products, it’s more and more clear that apple knows that most of their customers who are willing to pay the price and upgrade do so almost immediately upon the date of their release and they toss they new iPhone over their shoulders selling them even while under Garanties still.

Reactions: DragonX

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
I’m assuming the general public, unlike us on forums, are NOT aware of the widespread Screen Freeze problems. Otherwise, how could Apple expect the iPads this Fall to sell? Unless, if they know it’s a well known problem so they demonstrate it has been fixed beforehand.

Personally, after all this time I now highly doubt it’s a simple software/firmware fix, otherwise the fix would have been rolled out long ago, but more likely it’s a hardware problem that can’t be fixed, but can corrected in the new hardware design.

Last edited:

mia-rafael

Suspended
May 21, 2016
I’m assuming the general public, unlike us on forums, are NOT aware of the widespread Screen Freeze problems. Otherwise, how could Apple expect the iPads this Fall to sell? Unless, if they know it’s a well known problem so they demonstrate it has been fixed beforehand.

Personally, after all this time I now highly doubt it’s a simple software/firmware fix, otherwise the fix would have been rolled out long ago, but more likely it’s a hardware problem that can’t fixed, but can corrected in the new hardware design.
they should recall all these iPads

Apple has been extortioning everyone from the factories to the customers for money money money for accessories that should be included for the price we paid such a Smart Cover with a backlit, a fast charger, a Apple Pencil since it only works with apple ipads, even specific models, that alone is a red light coming from apple...

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I just got a refurbished 12.9 inch 2nd gen iPad Pro and noticed the glitch with the screen during the first hour of use, I was told to send it back for a replacement.

From googling and reading all these threads I’m now wondering if apples QC took a nose dive, I had stuff in the past like faulty Bluetooth in a Mac mini, batteries, 4g and even video cards and Apple refuse to admit this and even had their cyber bullies insult me and bury the threats until a large number of people started class actions yet they only offered lollipops solutions compared to the money we all spend on their products, it’s more and more clear that apple knows that most of their customers who are willing to pay the price and upgrade do so almost immediately upon the date of their release and they toss they new iPhone over their shoulders selling them even while under Garanties still.

Wow, disheartening to hear after we paid over 1k for these things. I’m one that trades Apple stuff a lot but I keep an iPad for 3-4 years. Not this one.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
My 11” Pro which was a total nightmare with a freezing and unresponsive screen suddenly corrected itself a few weeks ago and I haven’t had the issue since which makes me think that it is hardware. If it is hardware, then it could come back again and knowing my luck will re-occur when it’s out of warranty so I’m just wondering about swapping it out for the new Pro if there is a new model later this year

cap7ainclu7ch

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
My 10.5 is basically unusable now. Feels like it has about a 50% touch detection now. And that's with the iPadOS beta.

Last edited:

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
Does this problem seem to get worse as time goes by or does it just stay as something that happens even now and then? I’m trying to decide on sending it to Apple which I believe will be a waste or just taking it to BB and trading it for either a MBP or maybe even a Surface Pro.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
Does this problem seem to get worse as time goes by or does it just stay as something that happens even now and then? I’m trying to decide on sending it to Apple which I believe will be a waste or just taking it to BB and trading it for either a MBP or maybe even a Surface Pro.

In my case, and I’ve read that others experienced the same scenario, my new iPad initially functioned perfectly. It took about a month when I noticed just slight freezes, not enough to want to return it but noticeable. By the third month I was having to tip it to one side or the other to get the screen to unfreeze. By that time I was reading thread after thread of many others experiencing screen freeze. I thought about returning it until I read several posts where folks were still having screen freeze on they’re second and third new replacement iPads. In my case leaving the Pencil attached has cut down greatly on screen freeze but it’s still a very expensive device that doesn’t function properly.

I doubt the new iPads will have screen freeze because I suspect Apple has fixed it at a hardware level without having to publicly admit it in order to avoid being forced to replace a million defective iPads sold over the last couple of years.

Reactions: Resqu2

mia-rafael

Suspended
May 21, 2016
In my case, and I’ve read that others experienced the same scenario, my new iPad initially functioned perfectly. It took about a month when I noticed just slight freezes, not enough to want to return it but noticeable. By the third month I was having to tip it to one side or the other to get the screen to unfreeze.
exact same issue here, only one week and it went from freezing if i held it in bed to when i put it flat on a surface, UNACCEPTABLE for the price!

Some people suggested to get a better case for it like the heavy dull ugly logitech slim...i go that and it still freezes after longer use, very sad!

FRVES

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
Why is it that when you call Apple Care (I have called twice) there is no history or solution of the screen freezing?

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
Why is it that when you call Apple Care (I have called twice) there is no history or solution of the screen freezing?

What screen freeze?? First we ever heard of it lol. They think I poured water on mine lol. I didn’t even bother sending it in.

mia-rafael

Suspended
May 21, 2016
What screen freeze?? First we ever heard of it lol. They think I poured water on mine lol. I didn’t even bother sending it in.
yeah right! ok
they have no solution ,all the products seem to work for only a few years now...eveyrthing they discontinue ends up in a bin refurbished and back in the same loop....this way thy make more profits

Reactions: DragonX

thirdsun

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2018
My iPad Pro 11“ has been showing the touch responsive issues documented in this thread. However in my case it doesn‘t just ignore input, it also executes touches I didn’t perform. Has anyone experienced that too? The problem seems to be most apparent in the very top area of the screen as I frequently see the tap title bar to scroll to top action performed without me actually tapping anything. Reading longer articles in Safari without repeatedly losing my current position has become increasingly difficult. And that problem is in addition to the issue of unregistered taps/touches.

Some background information: This is my 5th or even 6th iPad. I‘ve been purchasing them since the original one and therefore know how the touch screen should feel and act. This is never happened to me before, even with earlier iPad Pro versions. I use my iPad naked, without case or screen protector. I don‘t own a pencil either.

Both problems appeared a few months into my ownership. When it became more frequent I contacted Apple and sent in my iPad Pro since the next Apple Store is rather far away for me. Despite extensive description of my issues they sent the device back without any repairs or other measures as they couldn‘t find any issue.

At this point I‘m rather frustrated and yet consider needlessly upgrading to the upcoming iPad Pro just to get rid of the problems. Usually I sell my old iPads for a decent sum, but in this case I‘m not sure if that‘s even an option as I don‘t feel comfortable scamming out potential buyers.

Surprisingly these issues don‘t seem to be related to hardware alone. After software updates and resetting the device (which I have done frequently, with and without backup restore) it seems to run flawlessly for a while - sometimes hours, days or even weeks, but both issues always return.

So has anyone experienced those unintended phantom taps or is this a less common problem?

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
My iPad Pro 11“ has been showing the touch responsive issues documented in this thread. However in my case it doesn‘t just ignore input, it also executes touches I didn’t perform. Has anyone experienced that too? The problem seems to be most apparent in the very top area of the screen as I frequently see the tap title bar to scroll to top action performed without me actually tapping anything. Reading longer articles in Safari without repeatedly losing my current position has become increasingly difficult. And that problem is in addition to the issue of unregistered taps/touches.

Some background information: This is my 5th or even 6th iPad. I‘ve been purchasing them since the original one and therefore know how the touch screen should feel and act. This is never happened to me before, even with earlier iPad Pro versions. I use my iPad naked, without case or screen protector. I don‘t own a pencil either.

Both problems appeared a few months into my ownership. When it became more frequent I contacted Apple and sent in my iPad Pro since the next Apple Store is rather far away for me. Despite extensive description of my issues they sent the device back without any repairs or other measures as they couldn‘t find any issue.

At this point I‘m rather frustrated and yet consider needlessly upgrading to the upcoming iPad Pro just to get rid of the problems. Usually I sell my old iPads for a decent sum, but in this case I‘m not sure if that‘s even an option as I don‘t feel comfortable scamming out potential buyers.

Surprisingly these issues don‘t seem to be related to hardware alone. After software updates and resetting the device (which I have done frequently, with and without backup restore) it seems to run flawlessly for a while - sometimes hours, days or even weeks, but both issues always return.

So has anyone experienced those unintended phantom taps or is this a less common problem?

I experienced something like "phantom taps" on iPad Pro 12.9". When I was clicking on one part of the screen, the other part acted like it was tapped. The same thing happened once with Apple Pencil - it registered touches not at the immediate point of contact, but instead a couple of inches away.

My explanation - or better call it a guess - to this and to the fact that sometimes after update iPad works normally for a while: is that on the hardware level the touch screen is broken and it doesn't redistribute static electricity and it produces errors in locating fingers on the operating system level. Also when you update the operating system resets the touchscreen data but then the errors accumulate more and more over time.

Until Apple recognizes, admits and explains this problem we can't tell for sure what's going on. If you're buying any replacement iPads from Apple you're playing a very expensive lottery on Amazon, Apple.com, Ebay - anywhere! There are tons of touchscreen-damaged iPads in the stores nobody knows about. Sometimes they replace your non-working iPad and then sell your old damaged iPad as refurb because their hardware "genius" tool doesn't recognize this problem. Even Apple employees don't admit they sell faulty stuff.

I've been in the Apple Store 4 times with this problem (3 different iPads) and they told me over and over they heard it for the first time.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I doubt the new iPads will have screen freeze because I suspect Apple has fixed it at a hardware level without having to publicly admit it in order to avoid being forced to replace a million defective iPads sold over the last couple of years.

I’ll politely disagree here and just say, I doubt Apple will address this until there’s some massive expose on iPad touch disease. They’ve had 3 years to work on this and nothing as far as hardware fixes.

I’ve given up on the iPads.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
So I had a Genius appointment because my Smart Folio case for my IPad Pro 11” was falling apart and whilst I was in there, I told the Genius about my issues with my unresponsive screen that had somehow cured itself a couple of months ago and I had no further issues.
He offered to run a diagnostic check which I said ok to so he ran the check and told me that the iPad was definitely faulty and needed replacing. He immediately ordered a new iPad 11” and folio case and both will arrive on Wednesday. That’s pretty good service.

mia-rafael

Suspended
May 21, 2016
So I had a Genius appointment because my Smart Folio case for my IPad Pro 11” was falling apart and whilst I was in there, I told the Genius about my issues with my unresponsive screen that had somehow cured itself a couple of months ago and I had no further issues.
He offered to run a diagnostic check which I said ok to so he ran the check and told me that the iPad was definitely faulty and needed replacing. He immediately ordered a new iPad 11” and folio case and both will arrive on Wednesday. That’s pretty good service.
ill believe i when you post the documentation, Apple Genius Bars dont do this unless you have Apple Care plus, employees ar usually told to lie and claim the whole computer needs replacement to sell a new model.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
ill believe i when you post the documentation, Apple Genius Bars dont do this unless you have Apple Care plus, employees ar usually told to lie and claim the whole computer needs replacement to sell a new model.
Nope I don’t have AppleCare Plus....just the one year warranty. He took some details from the settings and said a replacement will be here by Wednesday.
I will post the evidence when I get the email

mia-rafael

Suspended
May 21, 2016
Nope I don’t have AppleCare Plus....just the one year warranty. He took some details from the settings and said a replacement will be here by Wednesday.
I will post the evidence when I get the email
Prove to us all that your not another apple cyber troll helping cover up issues from the public, show us the paperwork, shmear out your name if you like, Apple never replaces a none apple care device, under warranty they only charge for a service when its hardware they cant identify as user abuse

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
91DA027A-F49B-4708-A817-1CC6779F9FBC.jpeg
Prove to us all that your not another apple cyber troll helping cover up issues from the public, show us the paperwork, shmear out your name if you like, Apple never replaces a none apple care device, under warranty they only charge for a service when its hardware they cant identify as user abuse
Ok I will when the email arrives. I have been a member here since 2012 and posted over 2,000 messages....check my profile if you don’t believe me.
I have uploaded the details of my Genius appointment in Bath. The guy told me that my iPad was faulty and that he would arrange for a replacement. I don’t troll. I am a mature adult.

mia-rafael

Suspended
May 21, 2016
Hello all, after the last two updates my ipad pro 12.9’ 2nd gen has issues with not responsive screen often. I need to exit the application or click the home button multiple times or lock the screen and all goes well after. Did a factory reset but nothing helped. Anyone else with the same issue? I hope it is software
Not saying your lying’ im hoping its true because apple needs a bit of help with PR these days, and if that is so true then why do other genius bar employees lie through their teeth pretending they never heard of un responsive screens? Should they be reported? Are they nutties?

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Not saying your lying’ im hoping its true because apple needs a bit of help with PR these days, and if that is so true then why do other genius bar employees lie through their teeth pretending they never heard of un responsive screens? Should they be reported? Are they nutties?
Can’t really say to be honest and I was very surprised when the guy said he would arrange a replacement as I was expecting him to arrange for it to be sent off for repair. All he said was to keep my iPad until the middle of next week when the new one arrived and then to bring the old one in. I think that Apple support is very inconsistent with their responses to issues. When my series 4 watch bricked because of the issues with the release of a new iOS last year, I was sent a new watch but I know that for others they were asked to send theirs in for repair so there is a lot of inconsistency and I think it depends who you’re talking to. To be honest I found my local store in Bath in the UK to always be very helpful. It’s not a big store but I’ve used them for 10 years now and they know me quite well in there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.