Unstable home button 6S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcmanus7, Oct 20, 2015.

1. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

we have two 6S's one rose gold one space grey.

The space grey one of you lightly press on the left side or top there's a noticable click.

I cannot reproduce on the rose gold or right side of the home button.

Should I be concerned?

2. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

No. Some of them are like this and it is normal. However, you can always take it into a Apple Store and have them look at it for you.

3. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've heard that some audibly click more then others but I'm talking about clicking without enough pressure to press the home button.

4. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I realize that. Which is why I said to get Apple to look at it. No one can tell you whether this is normal or not without physically seeing your device. Apple employees are trained to trouble shoot issues and if this actually is one they can either fix it or replace your iPhone.

5. Adrlan macrumors newbie

I had this issue with the iPhone 6 Plus right before getting my 6S+, took it into the Apple Store and they replaced the screen under warranty as they don't repair the home button itself.

6. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I've heard that we had a iPhone 5 where the home button would spin and all they said they could do is replace the screen.

7. Speedman100 macrumors 6502

Speedman100

Yeah my home button has an terribly annoying click without even pressing with enough pressure to activate the button. I guess I'll take it to the Apple Store and see what's up. Hopefully they can fix the problem without replacing the whole phone. I like my iPhone 6s Plus a lot and don't want to get one with a really yellow screen or something after replacement.

8. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

It's normal for Apples ancient analog button obsession.

Slow a bit clicky & wobbly it's the reason it takes longer to do things than if they used a touch sensitive button like they use right next to it on the display.

Stubborn is the word that comes to mind. They know better but they won't budge.

9. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Let me know if they replace the screen of the 6s. I jus want my home button replaced too

10. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Even home button I have ever used is different from another. There is no normal, some click and some do not.

If it works . . . . .

11. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I scheduled an appointment for Saturday morning.

I have also noticed that when it gets really clicky the Touch ID stops working.

If the Touch ID still worked flawless I would leave it.

12. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Ask if they replace screens yet if you can please? Ty

13. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will do!

14. superevangelist1 macrumors member

superevangelist1

Really interested to see what the resolution is for you.

15. Speedman100 macrumors 6502

Speedman100

I have an appointment Friday afternoon to have them look at my really clicky home button. So I'll also report back with what happens here.

16. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Huh?

You mean how Samsung uses the same ancient button? Only ever had a problem with my button once and that was with a 3GS I think. The button is no slower/faster than a touch sensitive button that would replace it. Doesn't take longer, sorry to say. I would rather have the button than a soft button that could accidentally be activated and takes up screen real-estate. No thanks.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Enough with the bickering, lets keep things civil and on topic

18. jpgr15, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  19. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Okay I'll just wait. Don't want a new phone as my battery is beyond amazing.

20. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

My 6s home button is noticably easier to click than my 6. I realized it immediately as soon I turned on my 6s and compared it to my 6. I don't have any reason to take it to Apple since it's functioning properly.

21. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

I wonder, does it usually take this long after a release to get screen parts and training out to the techs? Or is this unusual because of the 3D Touch?

22. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Last year it took this long for the 6. Probably the same this year.

My phone is jailbroken, all set up and I loovveee my battery right now. Its a 6S. My previous 6S was HORRIBLE and I returned it and got the sim free one.

I don't want to play the exchange game so Im hoping a screen replacement is possible soon. I did this with my iPhone 6 a few times bc the front camera kept moving. Apple kept insisting a full phone replacement but I kept saying no just the screen lol.

23. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

See my issue isn't how hard or soft you have to press it.. It noticably clicks when you just apply even a bit of pressure.

Honestly without that + the Touch ID issue I wouldn't risk swapping right now.

24. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Hey everyone, I'm in the same boat too. On my 6s Plus, it clicks as if you've depressed it, but it doesn't activate anything until I've pressed really hard, or in some cases, pressed two or three times. My particular phone definitely has a defect and will need to be replaced. For the record, I'm not OCD about my iPhone nor have I ever made a return of any Apple hardware in the last 9 years. This is just something that isn't working as it should. No biggie. The only hassle is the nearest Apple store is a 45-50 min drive away.

25. Speedman100 macrumors 6502

Speedman100

So I took my phone to the Apple Store yesterday and they replaced the whole thing. They don't have parts to do screen replacements yet.