Unsure if to buy now or not!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by renodude91, Oct 31, 2008.

1. renodude91 macrumors newbie

Ok, i haven't bought a mac in a long time, the last mac for me was a powerbook g4 and it recently (january) died, the internal fan quit working one night and i was playing a game and all i remember seeing was a spark and the computer was still running then i exited the game and shut the computer down because i was afraid i was overheating it, so the next day i turn it on and am checking my e-mail when the error sound from tiger keeps going and the screen is completely black then smoke appears from the back and sides and then a snap through the keyboard, the CPU exploded from not having a running fan! so i had to move to a PC because it was a Cheap and quick fix, that was the year vista came out and i want to go back to the familiar desktop i once used for all my digital needs! I'm putting off wanting to upgrade to the new macbook or macbook pro because i want to be able to play the sims 3 game and a few other games like age of empires 3 and civ 4, those kind of games, i went to the apple store downtown and they said the macbook pro for sure would play all the games and many games of the feature then i looked at the price and decided to wait to know if i want the macbook or the macbook pro?
    What should i do??
    :apple: =:D+:) =:cool:

2. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

Wait a few more months and get the new MBP as an Easter gift to yourself. :D :apple:

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Might not be a bad idea, as there's a growing thread on issues with the "late 2008" MB/MBP's. ;) A couple of others can be found as well. :(

Rev. A strikes again. :p

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You should never wait to buy, unless there are reasonable rumours that something new is coming out next week. There is always a new model coming in six months time, wait for that and you never get a new computer.

The new MacBook is a fine computer. For games, it has decent graphics built in. The major difference to the MacBook Pro is the larger screen. You have to decide if the screen size is worth the price difference to you. And have a look at the old-style white MacBook as well. Not so great for gaming, but if you add your own 4 GB RAM and 320 GB hard drive, you have one hell of a computer for much less money.

5. renodude91 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input!

Sehnsucht- That sounds like a good idea, all tough the sims 3 game comes out on February 20th 2009!

nanofrog- Issues? I haven't really heard of any so far, but i'll go look around the forums for any issues, thanks!

gnasher729-
    From the looks of the new macbook it looks like it will be a great computer for moderate gaming, the old white macbook is not a great gaming machine because of its 64mb intel graphics card! i'm just gonna buy a new Gateway pc for gaming and then get the macbook in december!

Thanks for the input on this decision!

I've come to this decision because most games come out on pc first and thats what i want, i dont want to do the whole boot camp windows thing on the way too nice macbook! Sure the macbook and the macbook pro would be great for games but i'm going to use it for basic work and movie making and just a great computer that i know wont fail on me for many years to come! I'm going for the gateway because it has a quad core intel 2.5GHZ Cpu dual SLI Nvidia graphics cards and its only 779 here in nevada!

6. borjasanz macrumors newbie

And it has Windows Vista, that is why it's so cheap, get a :apple: