Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfgang666

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2010
i was under d impression the untethered jb for 4.2.1 was due to be released around christmas time and its almost the new yr!!! has ther been any major releases after the beta redsnow??
i knw i knw, i have to be patient in this scenario..but m just running thin on patience..
i am having a lot of battery drain issues on my 3gs and im on 4.1 and this has started happening only since last week..from a full charge it gets down to 30% within half a day!!!

wolfgang666

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2010
i knw it doesnt make any diff..but no harm in expressin myself rite??
anyways any ideas on why facing battery drain issues all of a sudden??

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
i was under d impression the untethered jb for 4.2.1 was due to be released around christmas time and its almost the new yr!!!

That was the plan but Comex thoughht he could do it with a specific bug, now it doesn't look like he can. It is no wonder the "backup plan" is now being worked on, which will only be a partial untethered jb for people with older shshs, not for everyone.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
That was the plan but Comex thoughht he could do it with a specific bug, now it doesn't look like he can. It is no wonder the "backup plan" is now being worked on, which will only be a partial untethered jb for people with older shshs, not for everyone.

Exactly what is 'a partial untethered jb'? It's either tethered or it's not.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Partial means it only works for some people and not everyone. Only those with 4.1 or 4.2b3 shsh blolbs.

That's true of every jailbreak. I suppose since everyone couldn't get limera1n or greenp0ison to work, they were partial untethered jailbreaks. :rolleyes: As if newbies aren't confused enough, the correct terminology should be used.

Jailbreaks are either tethered or untethered.

Last edited:

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Yes there will be an untethered jailbreak soon. And it will work for those with the iOS SHSH for 4.2b3. And yes, not everyone will have this available unfortunately. I for one am currently hanging on to my phone right now that does not have a functioning home button just so I can keep my jailbreak. :D
I am definitely hoping that Comex will come through with something soon so I can take this to Apple and get a replacement, but I won't do it till I know I can jailbreak untethered on 4.2.1.

For those of us who have been doing this for a long time, you may all remember the months that we all had to wait for an untethered jailbreak back with the iPhone 3G. Man, that was a rough one. But the team finally came through and got it done. Here's hoping to sooner than later. :cool:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Yes there will be an untethered jailbreak soon. And it will work for those with the iOS SHSH for 4.2b3. And yes, not everyone will have this available unfortunately. I for one am currently hanging on to my phone right now that does not have a functioning home button just so I can keep my jailbreak. :D
I am definitely hoping that Comex will come through with something soon so I can take this to Apple and get a replacement, but I won't do it till I know I can jailbreak untethered on 4.2.1.

For those of us who have been doing this for a long time, you may all remember the months that we all had to wait for an untethered jailbreak back with the iPhone 3G. Man, that was a rough one. But the team finally came through and got it done. Here's hoping to sooner than later. :cool:
This whole mess makes me wonder if they can even pull it off this time. Even jail broke, Springboard doesn't function properly with themes because of all the changes in 4.2.1. (it doesn't look like saurik is even looking into it)

It looks like a decent jailbreak may come out about 2 weeks before iOS5.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
That's true of every jailbreak. I suppose since everyone couldn't get limera1n or greenp0ison to work, they were partial untethered jailbreaks. :rolleyes: As if newbies aren't confused enough, the correct terminology should be used.

Jailbreaks are either tethered or untethered.

Well you have a point, but at the same time, for every single device there is an option to get an untethered jailbreak from some tool or other up until iOS 4.1. So pre-4.2.1 we can definitely say there is a untethered jailbreak. There things are simple and black and white. Regarding 4.2.1 things are different and messier. Some devices will be capable of an untethered jailbreak, the minority who have the needed shshs, and the others, the majority of idevice holders, won't even have the option to get an untethered jailbreak unless Comex or someone else can find a solution that does not involve the current plans, the dev team's "backup plan".

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
This whole mess makes me wonder if they can even pull it off this time.

Indeed, it would be a shame if Apple could get the better of them. They should charge 1$ or 2$ for the jailbreaks and use the money to hire a permanent staff that works full-time on cracking and expanding the capabilities of idevices.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Indeed, it would be a shame if Apple could get the better of them. They should charge 1$ or 2$ for the jailbreaks and use the money to hire a permanent staff that works full-time on cracking and expanding the capabilities of idevices.
I would gladly pay $10-$20 for a working, untethered jail-break and think most people would too. The current 'donate' approach seems like throwing money out the window though, with the lack of progress (I know, chicken/egg). Usually, though, if you want to start a business, you put out a product first and then charge for it.

You know a solid untethered jail-break would sell like hot-cakes.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
I would gladly pay $10-$20 for a working, untethered jail-break and think most people would too. The current 'donate' approach seems like throwing money out the window though, with the lack of progress (I know, chicken/egg). Usually, though, if you want to start a business, you put out a product first and then charge for it.

You know a solid untethered jail-break would sell like hot-cakes.

They deserve some backpay for all the products they already put out. But you are right. They would have to implement it starting from the next one. Sure there would be some critics, but if they openly explained what salaries they needed to compel them to do it full time, and the projected # of users expected to use their solution each year, we could know how much each one of us has to give them. They should run a poll to find out. The donations are great, but no one will quit his day job on the basis of those.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
.. but if they openly explained what salaries they needed to compel them to do it full time, and the projected # of users expected to use their solution each year, we could know how much each one of us has to give them.

What??? Why would any business need to explain this? That's ridiculous. If they want to make this a commercial enterprise, then they should charge what they think is fair, their customers will either agree or disagree.

Another option: There are plenty of companies, e.g., biteSMS, Cydia, etc. whose success depend on jb who could fund the effort as well.

iAd4m

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2010
Another option: There are plenty of companies, e.g., biteSMS, Cydia, etc. whose success depend on jb who could fund the effort as well.

I think that would be the better way to go.

Because lets face it, if the dev team decided to start charging for the jailbreak program, a lot of people would not pay and just download it for free from torrents, megaupload, mediafire etc etc
They wouldn't escape piracy even if the fee was as low as a couple of dollars or euros.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I like this. It's to their advantage to get this jail-break team actually reliably producing something. And I don't think people have a problem with paying for the product.

The alternative is the mess we have now.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
I think that would be the better way to go.

Because lets face it, if the dev team decided to start charging for the jailbreak program, a lot of people would not pay and just download it for free from torrents, megaupload, mediafire etc etc
They wouldn't escape piracy even if the fee was as low as a couple of dollars or euros.

Right, but if we had a progress meter letting us know how much of their salaries was paid this year to date, we know if we don't cough up the one or two dollars to make up the rest, there won't be another jailbreak for the next update.

Getting sponsored by Cydia, etc. might be fine but it might not be enough to pay a full salary. If too much of a fraction of the cost per app is for the dev team, the result is the Cydia apps will be too pricey and the devs won't want to put their apps up there anymore since it is forcing high prices so low consumption. I'm just not sure about a cydia tax.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Getting sponsored by Cydia, etc. might be fine but it might not be enough to pay a full salary. If too much of a fraction of the cost per app is for the dev team, the result is the Cydia apps will be too pricey and the devs won't want to put their apps up there anymore since it is forcing high prices so low consumption. I'm just not sure about a cydia tax.

Then jailbreaking would cease to exist because there wouldn't be enough buyers for their product at a price people were wiling to pay. What's so hard to comprehend about this concept? Consumers don't look at the salaries of the employees of a company and then decide if they are going to buy their product or service. They look at how much that product or service costs and the value they get from it. If value exceeds purchase price, they buy it. If it doesn't, they don't.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA

Replacement iPhones (at least from Apple) are more than likely 4.1 jailbreakable. I just replaced mine a few days ago and received a 4.1

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
The people that make the jailbreak aren't really the ones that profit from it, they are doing it because they want to, geek challenge whatever.

If apple does a good job in fixing their security there just won't be another jailbreak.

The fact there are people that want it for whatever reason is irrelevant.

I think there is a donate button on the dev team site but I have never seen a statement on what that does or goes to.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Then jailbreaking would cease to exist because there wouldn't be enough buyers for their product at a price people were wiling to pay.

Right that kind of a model might not work.

What's so hard to comprehend about this concept?

Nothing is hard to comprehend about that concept. No need to get all worked up over it. People can have different view points from you, you know.

Consumers don't look at the salaries of the employees of a company and then decide if they are going to buy their product or service. They look at how much that product or service costs and the value they get from it. If value exceeds purchase price, they buy it. If it doesn't, they don't.

Sure with typical for-profit companies that might be the case. But that's not what I'm talking about. Things don't need to be broken down to a per salary basis. All I am saying is it wouldn't be that complicated for a team dedicated to JBing to say: look, we need X amount of dollars to operate and do this for you, full-time, to insure we can always remain ahead of the curve and have timely up-to-date jailbreaks. Each person only needs to contribute Y, but people can contribute more if they want. Heck, they could even add a few adds to the website to help bring in a few $$$ from google.

Now, someone who wants to benefit from the jailbreak and who sees that kind of a message, who realizes these guys aren't out to make a killing or a profit (which would be proven with open books), would likely be more sympathetic and willing to contribute Y, if they could, then to simply pirate it off some for-profit company that may or may not be gauging its consumers as much as is possible to fill their greedy pockets. The itunes model proved people were willing to pay for music and not pirate it all away like in the Napster days if the money asked for the product was reasonable. The reason Napster was so dam popular was because people were not willing to pay the high prices the music labels were asking for. As soon as a more reasonable alternative presented itself, like itunes, things quickly changed.

That is precisely why many people would be more inclined to "reassess" their value considerations and what they are willing to pay, if they have this additional information to take into consideration. So, if what the dev team is doing and what they are asking for is modest affair, I'm confident things would work out. The quality of the service would speak for itself. You can't tell me a dedicated team couldn't do better than what is being done now. Sure what is done now is fantastic, and we are all grateful for it. But that doesn't mean things couldn't be even better. All we need to do is to help bring that about. We can't rely on the dev team to do everything. Let's make them an offer they can't refuse!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.