Untethered Jailbreak 4.2.8 on a Mac

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cookietrog, May 24, 2011.

1. cookietrog macrumors newbie

I went through pwnage tool to jailbreak my iphone 4. It was running 4.2.8 and I created the .ipsw and went ahead and restored my iphone, after put into DFU mode, and it loaded the software just fine. It then restarted and the :apple: logo appeared and then....nothing...I waited, waited waited, tried doing a hard reset, same thing. I'm about to restore my phone again back to its boring unjailbroken state because I need my phone...But I was really hoping to get some help on this so maybe later tonight I could try this process again. I really want my jailbroken iPhone back

2. cookietrog thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm assuming this means no one has been able to JB from 4.2.8 on a Mac?

3. jredecop macrumors 6502a

4. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

I have tried three different sites pretty much with all the same directions for pwnage tool and I keep experiencing the same thing as you. I either get unknown error or it's stuck on the apple logo. Can some one please help us? I even tried the link above provided with the same outcome.

5. dani1217 macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same problem. I try to use Pwnage Tool and end up on the endless Apple logo boot screen. When I originally jailbroke my Verizon iphone back in Feb. I used Greenpois0n and it worked flawlessly. Why is it so difficult now?

6. Dan Cote macrumors newbie

Here's a bump to see if anyone has had any success with this yet?
    Any links I find with the tools I need are either broken or removed, and now seeing these posts don't give me much hope.

If there's a safe and easy way to JB 4.2.8 then I'll give it a shot. But since this is going to be my first time attempting anything like this, I'd rather not risk losing my phone over trying to acquire unique features.

7. iphoneblogr, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011

iphoneblogr macrumors member

I have used Pwnage Tool 4.2(make sure you are using 4.2 because the newest version 4.3 will NOT work for the Verizon iPhone) and Sn0wbreeze 2.7.3 to jailbreak 4.2.8 iPhones multiple times, it is both safe and easy. Also, there is absolutely no way to break your phone using these methods. As long as you use official tools there is no risk whatsoever. You can follow either of the tutorials below(depending on your operating system) to jailbreak 4.2.8:

Sn0wbreeze 2.7.3 Tutorial (Win)
    Pwnage Tool 4.2 Tutorial (Mac)

8. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

The video in mac link is not working, i tried this last night with no luck. i am trying again but i do not able to click the button to activate the phone (under general settings).

9. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Why are you guys WASTING your time with pwnagetool on 4.2.8? You SHOULD be using redsn0w since there is no baseband to preserve since there is nothing to unlock.

Redsn0w has been updated by the iphone devteam. I'd much rather use that than some patch made by some guy with an outdated version of pwnagetool.

10. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I went to their site but i am not able to find a JB for the VIP 4.2.8 on a mac

11. From A Buick 8, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2011

From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Ok i did find the redsn0w JB for the VIP4, and it was simple and did seem to work. The only difference i see on the surface is i now have the Cydia App.

Two things about the redsn0w (for me anyway) it was not clear in the instructions that you need to allready have the right .ipsw downloaded prior to starting the app and you need to be ready to hold the power and menu button when the tool tells you too, that part came up quick.

12. iphoneblogr macrumors member

I have updated the instruction video for adding the 4.2.8 firmware bundles to Pwnage Tool 4.2 in the original post. Please note that redsn0w on 4.2.8 is a TETHERED jailbreak. You should use either Pwnage Tool 4.2 or Sn0wbreeze 2.7.3 to do an untethered jailbreak.

13. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Ok just now reading about TETHERED JB and it does have me a little uneasy.

14. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

because it works!

15. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Ok so I used redsn0w to JB and it did work, but from what I gather it is TETHERED and that is making me nervous.

So if I want to start over and try Sn0wbreeze 2.7.3 or pwnagetool should I restore the phone back to factory fresh.

16. iphoneblogr macrumors member

No, you don't need to, just follow one of the tutorials I posted earlier depending on your OS and then put your device into Pwned-DFU mode and shift+restore the custom firmware you created and you're good to go!

17. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Ok so i just go from the phones current state (JailBroke with redsn0w) and just follow through the with Pwnage Tool 4.2 Tutorial (Mac) instructions from above.

18. nfrederick macrumors newbie

I jailbroke 2 iPhone 4's just the other night with Pwnage Tool. 4.2.8 untethered. Ran into a couple issues timing the DFU mode right, but once I got it figured out everything went smooth.

19. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Yea i had tried Pwnage Tool and ran into some trouble (not able to click the button to activate the phone (under general settings)). I also was alittle slow and unsure on the DFU mode part.
    So i switched to redsn0w and allthough that did work and i like the extra capabilities that JB brings i am a little concerned about the redsn0w being TETHERED, so i am going to try Pwnage Tool again

20. From A Buick 8, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Ok so i can get through the Pwnage tool part and it creates the custom ipsw, but then i am not sure what exactly to do in itunes. I assume i need to somehow point i tunes to the custom ipsw but i am not clear how to do that.

Looks like all i have done this go around is to restore the phone to pre-JB state. I m definitely doing something wrong.

21. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Ok i think i have found my issue, i should hold option+restore on a mac.

22. iphoneblogr macrumors member

Correct, it is shift+restore in Windows and option+restore in Mac, if you have any other questions or issues, just let me know!

23. AndrewDonnadio macrumors newbie

24. iphoneblogr macrumors member

Yes, thank you, I did not realize that they had updated to rc18, I thought 16 was the latest version. I will update our site. Thanks for the tip!

25. AndrewDonnadio macrumors newbie

so basically, i can use the newest redsn0w to untethered jailbreak my VIP4 4.2.8? with no additional steps necessary?