Untethered Jailbreak 5.0.1 iMessage send Pics don't work.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by steven5210, Jan 3, 2012.

1. steven5210 macrumors member

After upgrading to 5.0.1 and using the new redsn0w b2 to jailbreak I've just recently noticed that when using iMessage to send any pictures or videos it shows as sent but the recipient never receives it. When I turn off iMessage it goes through as a regular mms. I don't quite know what the problem is do any of you guys have this problem too?

2. Homy2gq macrumors newbie

Yeah! I did the same

Yeah I did the same thing and it will show as delivered but the person never receives it. I have to toggle back to text message in order to send it. :confused:

3. steven5210 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah have you checked your facetime also? Have someone facetime you and when you answer it will freeze. I just realized that today when someone else had the problem also.

4. JML5150 macrumors newbie

JML5150

Same Here except...

Im having the same problem except it only happens when I send pics to my wife. We are both jailbroken on 5.0.1. She can send me pics, but when i send I have to send as text message MMS. The pics I send that dont go through show up on my 3GS (5.0) also when I am on Wi-FI. But it also has the same problem. Everyone else I know who has imessage are not jailbroken and my daughter who is jailbroken can receive and send pics to me no problem. I wonder is it something in Cydia that I installed... She and I have alot of the same cydia items installed. I have restored many times using custom Sn0wbreeze firmware and Stock firmware with Redsn0w. It works for a while but them stops working, which is frustrating since she is the one I use imessage the most with.

5. steven5210 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I understand your frustration because after restoring the phone it only works for a little bit before it stops working again! I also found out that facetime apparently doesn't work either when someone tries to facetime me. It works when I am the one to initiate the facetime though... weird stuff.

6. voodoochild1979 macrumors newbie

same problem for me!

I'm having the same issue with iMessage...hope they find a fix for this with the next Redsnow update or something...very annoying!

7. dodoa macrumors newbie

I think they are going to fix it in a few weeks

8. steven5210 thread starter macrumors member

Really? That's great news I didn't even know they announced it. Do you have a link?:D

9. kickson macrumors newbie

I am so glad I found somebody else with the same problem. My wife's phone has this problem, but mine has been fine. I tried restoring, but it only worked through that night, and then had the same problem the next day. I am curious why this only affects some Iphones and not others. Is it possibly due to an older Iphone 4 model? I hope this gets resolved soon.

10. Bmw328xi, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012

Bmw328xi macrumors newbie

Imessage cannot send pictures / facetime freezes

Hi guys.

I have been loosing my mind on this problem for a while testing on 2 different iphones 4g both running ios 5.0.1 There is a definite issue with imessage and facetime when jailbroken.

I have restored and started over on both phones a total of at least 7 or 8 times. Imessage can send pictures initially from both 3g and wifi. facetime also works fine on wifi. After i used facetime to test (make a facetime call, receive a facetime call and attempt a facetime call while on 3g and get the message saying that it requires Wifi) i did a reboot. Immediately, imessage can no longer send pictures. It says its delivered but in fact, it never made it to the recipient. Facetime, also starts freezing on connection from this point on.

Disabling iMessage and re-enabling does nothing. My ipad 2 with a factory ios5 works all the time for both imessage and facetime. This seems to really be jailbreak related. The only apps i use from cydia are: sbsettings, inotifier+, anyring, installous and infinidock. I haven't tried a jailbreak without any cydia apps installed but i seem to be able to reproduce the issue at will. A few facetime calls and a reboot usually messes things up.

If anyone has similar cydia apps installed, pls let me know. Im curious to know if this is caused by the jailbreak itself or by a specific app. I have spent so much time on this that my brain hurts...:eek:

I will post an update if i find out more. Please do the same if you have additional information. All i know for now is that there are practically no posts on this issue yet this problem is very real.

11. steven5210, Jan 17, 2012

steven5210 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the detailed post because I've yet to find much people on this issue. As you have said though that even a fresh restore with no cydia apps also brings back the issue it is probably most likely the jailbreak itself. I haven't tried letting the Jailbreak team know because usually they don't answer general questions. Please post if you find anything else!

I also just upgraded the jailbreak with corona 1.0-3 that just came out today I believe. Rebooted turned back on my iMessage but still doesn't work.

12. Bmw328xi, Jan 17, 2012

Bmw328xi macrumors newbie

Just a clarification. I have NOT tried a fresh jailbreak with no cydia apps yet. I have always installed the same few apps as described in my previous post. Do you have any of these apps installed ? A friend of mine has done a JB on ios 5.01 today on an iphone 4g. He used Redsnow v 09.10b4 like i did. He only installed sbsettings so far and he has been sending me pics through imessage. He has done reboots and used facetime aswell. Other than a specific cydia app, im not sure what else can cause this since i would expect a lot more noise if this was purely the jailbreak causing it. There must be a specific set of conditions causing this issue. It would be helpful if people listed the cydia apps that they are using.

Note: I have gone as far as restoring to factory ios5.01, re-jailbreaking and not restoring any backups by fear of importing the glitch. Same issue once jailbroke and adding my cydia apps. My next test will be jailbreaking with no cydia apps at all.

Thx

13. Bmw328xi macrumors newbie

Found the offending app

Alright,

Here are my findings. As I mentionned in my previous post, i have installous, notifier+, sbsettings and anyring installed from cydia. I have fixed my issue on 2 different phones by doing the exact same procedure. I have confirmed it resolves the imessage picture issue and the Facetime connection freeze. (Also reported as a oneway freeze)

1. Went in cydia.
    2. Uninstalled Anyring
    3. Shut imessage and turned of mms from "Settings, messages"
    4. Rebooted
    5. Turned on the imessage and mms (waited for activation).
    6. Imessage can now send pics and facetime works again

For those of you who do not have anyring, check if you installed any app to constumize your ringtone (for calls or messages). As you may have noticed, facetime uses a different ringtone than the default ring you can customize with 3rd party apps. I suspect that when you use anyring or another app that would allow you to change your ringtone, and that you place a facetime call which invokes a default ring, things go wrong...

I know its vague and just a theory but my issue is 100% resolved. The issue is deffinitly caused by something that you installed with your jailbreak. If the jailbreak itself had this effect, we would most likely see it all over the place. But we are only a handfull of people with the issue.

Start by removing cydia apps that have to do with rings, messages, calls in general. Shut imessage and reboot and restart imessage. I am sure you will identify the offending app as i am sure there could be more than one.

Please let me know if this info helped resolve the issue.
    Cheers

14. steven5210 thread starter macrumors member

Wow you are just......A-maze-ing because you just fixed my problems. I didn't think anyring would do that since it is compatible with ios5 but I guess wrong. I hope bigboss fixes it because I paid 4.99 for it :confused:. Great job! I can finally enjoy my iOS 5 jailbreak fully!:):):):)

15. Bmw328xi macrumors newbie

Happy it worked !!!
    :D :D :D

16. kickson macrumors newbie

Great find! I am going to try uninstalling Anyring on my wife's Iphone tonight and see if that fixes her Facetime problems. I'll post back with results tomorrow. I was in the same boat after I restored her Iphone. Things seemed to work even after I tested with Cydia apps installed, but then Facetime wasn't working right the next day.

17. Bmw328xi macrumors newbie

Great. Let me know if it works. Remember to follow the sequence as uninstalling anyring without signing out of imessage and rebooting is not sufficient. Also, it seems like installing anyring doesnt break anything untill you use facetime (inbound I believe) and reboot or perhaps just respring. This is why people say it works for a while and then it stops working.
    Cheers.

18. DenaMaDena macrumors newbie

White Screen of Death 3G Re-Assembly Problem!

I have a jail-broken, onblocked 3g iphone. Recently the WSOD apperared after a drop (I think). After trying the basic solutions, I openned up the phone to check and reseat cable#. It was not disconnected but I disconnect and reconnected it anyway. Had to reset (power/menu buttons) to get the phone back on and it is up and working like normal. But when I try to close it up, i.e. re-assemble, snap the front panel/screen back on, the white screen returns. I can use the phone as long as it is not closed. After careful observation, it seems that contact with the upper right corner of the phone (power button corner) causes the white screen to return. When I undo the contact, power off, then on, the phone is working again. What's going on??? If anyone has any idea of what the problem could possibly be, please help me. Thanks

19. voodoochild1979 macrumors newbie

You rock!!

I love you BMW328xi!! Did what you said and so far it worked! Can't test FaceTime yet but iMessage seems to be sending pics now...
    My phone did freeze when I turned off iMessage and MMS after unisntalling AnyRing, and also when I turned them back on after rebooting, but it seems to be working now - I can go in and out of the Messages Settings app without freezing, and people are getting my pics in iMessage...

I have about 20 Cydia apps installed so it would've taken forever to figure out the offending one so thanks again!! Will update when I test FaceTime tonight at home...

THANK YOU!!

20. kickson macrumors newbie

Just wanted to let you know this fix worked. I guess someone needs to notify the Anyring developer about this issue. Anyways, thanks so much for the fix.

21. steven5210 thread starter macrumors member

I tried to notify the developer but he doesn't have any way of contacting him. So I made a post on anyring's facebook wall and I hope he will see it.

22. Madmanjoe macrumors newbie

I had already informed him.

23. EastBayBeast510 macrumors newbie

I don't have Anyring installed and i still have the same problems as OP.. I'm also getting the FaceTime problem as well.. i have noticed, however, FaceTime only freezes on incoming calls.. my FaceTime works fine on outgoing..

24. whitebread42 macrumors newbie

Worked for me

I joined this forum just to say that Anyring was the culprit on my phone. I did these steps as listed and now all my issues are gone. Thanks Bmw328xi: