Unusual Wake Up from Sleep Behavior for Late 2013 15" rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dgbarar, May 3, 2014.

1. dgbarar macrumors regular

dgbarar

Hi All,

I have a late 2013 15" rMBP operating under Mavericks 10.9.2 and have observed some unusual wake up from sleep since the April 28 security update.

When the computer has gone to sleep for several minutes wake up from sleep is normal as all keys immediately bring up the password pop-up.

However, if the display has just shut off and I touch any key to bring back from sleep, all I get is the cursor and a black screen. By waiting an additional 20 seconds, then the display turns back on and I get the password pop-up menu. This behavior seems new.

Has anyone else observed this behavior and know how to correct? Or, is this a new software bug that was recently introduced.

Cheers,

Don Barar

2. golf1410, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014

golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

Dear Don,
    You have posted on the wrong section. This is the mac pro section.
    To your question, there might be some ppl experience the same thing in your case as you have rMBP. However, I can speak for some Mac Pro owner. Some of them have issue sleep/wake up with dual monitors, some of external hdd. I suggest you to contact Apple care. if it is a bug, then they will fix it from that communication channel.

Best regards,
    Golf

3. dgbarar thread starter macrumors regular

dgbarar

Hi Golf,

Thanks for responding. Actually, I have posted in the correct forum. I have a late 2013 15" rMBP (retina Mac Book Pro) and this is the Mac Book Pro forum.

I was hoping there might be others that have noticed this behavior. I am attempting to determine if my MBP is unusual or if others have same experience.

Cheers,

Don Barar

4. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

This is likely a firmware problem not a hardware problem. I assume the next update will fix this. I have not had this issue at all btw :apple:

5. dgbarar thread starter macrumors regular

dgbarar

Hi Everyone,

My rMBP is from late November early December 2013. What vintage is your laptop?

Cheers,

Don

6. dgbarar thread starter macrumors regular

dgbarar

Hi Eveyone,

I went on-line to confirm the firmware versions available. My version is MBP112.0138.B02. This is the current version posted on Apple's website.

Might I ask that you share what version of firmware you are using?

I hate to be anal about this, but this wakeup behavior at times can be pain in the rear and I would like track it down and fix if possible with web information. Otherwise, I have to make a trip to the Apple store.

Cheers,

Don

7. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Hi Don,

You're not alone, I'm having this same issue as well and I'm glad someone shared the problem so that I know it's nothing wrong with my Mac :)

Waiting for 10.9.3 update :D

Cheers,
    Henry

8. dgbarar thread starter macrumors regular

dgbarar

Hi Henry,

Thanks for confirming. Maybe you can confirm this for me. Was it always like this? Or, did this appear with April 28 security update?

Cheers,

Don Barar

9. 5to1 macrumors regular

I also have the same issue with my late 2013 13" rMBP. Mine did it prior to the last security update.

10. TahoeBlue macrumors member

I have the same exact issue on my 13" rMBP Late 2013 ever since I bought it in February. It's really annoying, and I'm debating bringing it into the store.

11. dgbarar thread starter macrumors regular

dgbarar

Thanks for all that have responded to my thread. Even with the update to 10.9.3 I continue to have this problem. I also performed a re-install of 10.9.3 and the issue persists.

I have had a lengthy conversation with Robert (Bobby) Hebert in Apple secondary level support. Robert is pleasant, helpful, and knowledgeable.

Robert took me through troubleshooting this issue. Interestingly, in safe-mode there is immediate wake-up after just falling asleep. However, once I re-boot with full OSX the delayed wake-up comes back. I enabled Power Nap to determine the results. This appeared to make a difference at first, but even this no longer works.

Bobby believes that it takes time for computer to write the sleep state to the drive and if you attempt to rewake the computer while this is occurring then you get the delay upon rewake.

Since so many of us are having this issue I am not certain there is much that can be done. Of course, if someone has an idea what to do try I am willing to try.

I am not certain this if this is a hardware or software. Maybe 10.10.x will resolve.

Cheers,

Don Barar

12. wuush macrumors member

Same issue with a late 2013 rMBP 13"

There is also a difference for how long the screen stays black, at least for me.
    Sometime only seconds, sometimes it seems to take up to x minutes.

Not sure why though.

13. hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

I posted a thread regarding this issue in the Mavericks section and didn't get any responses.

Late 2013 rMBP here. The problem only started after the 10.9.2 update and is still present in 10.9.3.

14. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Didn't someone post that, even though the screen is black, you can type in your password and the machine will accept it and wake up....

15. dgbarar, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014

dgbarar thread starter macrumors regular

dgbarar

Hi Cold Case,

I saw that as well. But when I attempted to type in my password, all I got back was a beep for each character I typed. So this does not work.

Don

----------

I went to the Apple store today to see if a 15" RMBP with upgraded processor and separate graphics board has the same slow wake-up after just going to sleep. It did not. It immediately snapped back from sleep.

I now believe there is something wrong with either the software or hardware with our machines.

Back to Apple support.

Cheers,

Don

16. hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

I purchased all the upgrades for my rMBP and I still have the problem (2.6ghz i7 1tb 15 inch dedicated graphics). The issue has to do with the latest Mavericks update (10.9.2 and 10.9.3). Chances are the rMBPs you saw in store were running a previous version.

17. dgbarar, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 22, 2014

dgbarar

Hi H,

Good thought. I did check for that. The computer I tried at the Apple store in Chandler, AZ was running 10.9.3. That computer did not have any issues waking up after just going to sleep. It immediately snapped back on.

Cheers,

Don

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My computer crashes if I hit the space bar trying to wake it up from sleep, so I think you guys have it better off.

19. dgbarar thread starter macrumors regular

dgbarar

Hi All,

I took my rMBP to an Apple store today where they booted my laptop from an external drive. Sleep behavior was as expected waking up immediately with the selection of any key if the computer had just entered sleep on its own.

I was advised that somewhere there is a corrupted file in the operating system. The solution was to restore the computer to its factory state and reload my files.

Cheers,

Don

20. mobilebuddha macrumors regular

*knocks on wood* my recent purchase of a refurb late 2013 rMBP 15 doesn't seem to exhibit this problem (at least when I tried to reproduce your issue, I couldn't)

21. dgbarar thread starter macrumors regular

dgbarar

Hi Budda,

Outstanding. Neither did the rMBP at the Apple store operating 10.9.3.

It looks like what might happened is that the operating system can somehow become corrupted and that is what is causing the problem. I dislike saying this but it appears as though Mavericks can be corrupted. I had another issue earlier this year with Bluetooth interfering with the Wifi--another well documented problem that others were having. In this case, I had to delete the bluetooth plist file to get things to work correctly.

Currently, I am in the process of backing up the RMBP so that I restore the computer to its factory state and then reload my files. Hopefully, this will solve the problem for myself and others will follow my lead to solve their problem as well.

Cheers,

Don Barar

22. dgbarar, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014

dgbarar

Hi All,

Despite repeated attempts to delete my hard drive and restoring time machine back-ups in various different ways I have been unable to eliminate the delayed wake-up problems.

I am thinking I just have to start over with installation of applications.

Cheers,

Don Barar

23. dgbarar, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014

dgbarar

Unusual Wake-Up Behavior--Source Found!!!!

Hi All,

I believe that i have found the source of the unusual wake-up behavior that I have been experiencing. Just to re-iterate, after just going to sleep and selecting any key to rewake the computer there is a 25 second pause with a black screen and the cursor displayed. After this duration, the computer resumes normal function.

I have been able to turn this problem on an off by turing off Adobe Creative Cloud version 1.6.0.393. Removal of this software will eliminate the delayed wake-up. This is unfortunate because Adobe needs to have this software running at least once/month to for your subscribed to software to work.

I would be curious to know how many of my friends out their that have this problem also have the Adobe Creative Cloud installed on their computers?

Cheers,

Don Barar

24. henhowc macrumors regular

occasionally experience this same issue. i don't have adobe cloud

25. campyguy macrumors 68030

I have had wake from sleep problems for some time, which disappear when I remove all physical connections (HDMI, TB, USB3) from my rMBP. I have other issues with Creative Cloud - two kernel panics, specifically - including one after the recent update.

For me, the mystery continues...