Up/down arrows on new 2016 MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yuvster, Dec 5, 2016.

1. yuvster macrumors newbie

yuvster

Hi,

I have a weird problem with the up/down arrows of my new 2016 MBP (15"). The buttons function well only if you press them in the center. if you press them on the right or left side, they some times do not work properly. All other keys function well if you press them on the edges. Anyone else noticed that or is that a defect in my machine?

Thanks,

-Yuval

2. blairian89, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016

blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

My arrow keys function like the rest of the keys do. That doesn't necessarily mean that yours are defective, but if you feel like something is wrong then by all means take it in.

Try pressing the keys quite a few (one hundred+) times and see if that solves the issue. I have seen reports on Reddit and some other sites that say mashing the funky keys quite a bit fixes the problem.

3. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

I have this issue too. I didn't notice it until I read your post. I can either press the center lightly, or press the sides a bit stronger. Not too annoying, really, unless it gets worse.

4. Pengli_2002 macrumors newbie

I spent quite some time with the demo MBP 15" in an apple store and the down arrow key has exactly the same problem, for instance, in excel, all other arrow keys work well, but I have to press down arrow key hard to make it responsive. Not sure if this is a universal issue
    --- Post Merged, Dec 14, 2016 ---
    Seems other people reporting the same issue. Just ordered my 15", if this is a mechanical issue, it'll be disappointing

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...rd-up-arrow-key-broken.2018878/#post-24005739

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7769526

5. Xombie11 macrumors regular

My up and down keys do this too.

I didn't notice until this post how annoying it is to press the down arrow on the new keyboard layout with the lip of the keyboard right there. Your thumb rubs up against it and it's difficult to press down. It makes traversing through code a hell of a lot more difficult on this new machine than my old one.

6. Pengli_2002 macrumors newbie

It'll be really shameful if such a small annoyance becomes an issue for an otherwise well built machine... unfortunately for folks who code or navigate through spreadsheet a lot those little arrow keys need to be reliable

7. mbezzo macrumors member

definitely seeing this too. can't tell if it is a problem for me or not yet...

8. SRTM macrumors regular

Seeing this as well. Bit of a pain when coding sometimes.

9. otakustay macrumors newbie

otakustay

My first nMBP (returned already) has the same issue with the number key "0"

10. OCDMacGeek macrumors 6502a

OCDMacGeek

I am the OP of this other thread on this issue, and it is still really annoying me. http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...rd-up-arrow-key-broken.2018878/#post-24005739

I use the up arrow key a lot. I have no Apple Store in my whole state, and so I would have to send it off for repairs. Its annoying enough that I will have to suck it up and do it eventually. Has anyone else tried to get a repair? I wonder if its a bad key part, or if the butterfly mechanism, is at fault.

11. yuvster thread starter macrumors newbie

yuvster

I have not repaired mine. I was waiting to see if apple comes back with a statement about the battery, because I'm not too happy about it as well. I'll probably just schedule an appointment at the genius bar and see what they have to say about it...