Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
People still miss the forest for the trees: the Mac Pro is designed for the future, not the past, and gets much of its performance from the extra GPU. Luckily, I'm buying for the future too!

And that SSD!

It's really annoying to have a really powerful Mac Pro bottlenecked when you press "open with..." on something and have to wait for an external hard drive to wake up while Finder hangs.

I don't believe you're required to allow drives to sleep. And I don't think Thunderbolt makes drives sleep in some way that is different from internal bays.

P.S. It's fun to see people who would never buy 24 cores complain to other people who would never buy 24 cores that they wish they could buy 24 cores. "Bullet list marketing" at its finest :p Catchy specs over results? No mention of OpenCL, even from people who like to brag about performance numbers?

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Hhmm...

...MacPro, new car, MacPro, new car, MacPro, new car, MacPro, new car, MacPro, new car, MacPro, new car.........:D

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 2,396

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Folks, if you actually need 24 cores, then you probably know what a "render farm" is or you are capable of writing software to parcel out your complex task to more than one Mac Pro on a 10gbps LAN. MapReduce, anyone?

Or is there really an application for 24-cores in a workstation?

So it sounds like what you're really asking for is a cut-down Mac Pro with no GPUs and a Thunderbolt-to-10GigE adapter. Because I'm guessing that, aside from the GPUs, the 12-core CPU is the main cost in the machine--so why not just buy more than one whole machine? Although, an array of whitebox Linux servers will probably fill out the farm more economically.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
How can't you be excited? It's the MiniPro Fan-Blower TrashCan™ Mac!

This tiny black beast will blow your socks off!

Also called the 'Mac Pro SuperBucket™" above...

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I would think that multiple Titan's would provide more bang for the buck than adding a second Xeon processor (in the case of rendering). Depends on choice of rendering software I suppose.

It does depend. For instance, something like Bryce does not use the GPU at all for rendering, it is sole;u the CPU(s) it uses. I think Maya and other more pricey, modern programs use a combination of both and can take advantage of CUDA.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Actually not "trolling". Im not 15 for one. I am just making a joke about the possible cost of the machine, so, you know, calm down.

new car......

Tough call man. Mac Pro can make money. It's supposed to be a productivity power house. Also, it'd be something to brag about as the top of the line Mac.

Buying a new Smart Car is not much to brag about. Also, it's not very productive and adds extra liability to your finances.

I'd say go with the Mac Pro if you already have a car... especially if you live in a busy city like New York. Parking just costs way too much.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
I don't believe you're required to allow drives to sleep. And I don't think Thunderbolt makes drives sleep in some way that is different from internal bays.

Not unless you want to shorten their lifespans. I'm aware of the setting in System Preferences to set hard drive sleep. What I really want is an option to make it not even look at the hard drive when you do something like an "open with..." or save a file. I have an external one that keeps waking up because of certain tasks that do not really involve it.

----------

There will be 1. The MP page on apple.com clearly says "configurations up to 12 cores".

D'oh, I missed that before.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
As there might only be a Mac Toy going forward, I started looking at Supermicro the other day.

Also, the next VMware Fusion only allows 16 cores per VM.

It's bad that Opteron does not yet have PCIe 3.0 . The price of Xeons is outrageous.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
a 12-core monster beating the bejesus out of <12 core processors in multithreaded apps, while taking a pounding in less multithreaded apps? Man, what a surprise...

Please :apple:, give us some configurations focusing on Gigahertzes also, not only the number of cores.There are a lot of choices.

I would like:
Quad: Xeon E5-2637 v2 (3,5 Ghz, no Turbo, TDP 130W)
Hexa: Xeon E5-2643 v2 (3,5 Ghz, no Turbo, TDP 130W)
Octo: Xeon E5-2667 v2 (3,3 Ghz, Turbo 4 Ghz, TDP 130W)

Prettyplease...

RGDS,

eltaurus

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Waiting waiting waiting for 2 new Mac pro for office .. since 2years ... Come on Baby.. come out ..

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Woow, that is one kick ass work station CPU. Now, with that graphics and the PCI SSD, the total machine is going to be pretty sweet I think.

r3m1

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2012
Earth
It's really annoying to have a really powerful Mac Pro bottlenecked when you press "open with..." on something and have to wait for an external hard drive to wake up while Finder hangs.

I hear you - this one of the most annoying things - FW/USB drives all hang in the finder when opening them - even if it is on a alway-power-on mode for the external drives.

----------

Now if only Apple would put TWO of these in the new Mac Pro, instead of only offering a single socket configuration...

Others do it ... why not Apple?

http://www.boxxtech.com/Products/3dboxx-8980-xtreme :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.