Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Not for everyone.

It might be useful for studio photographers. If you mount the 'lens' on a tripod, you're free to walk around with an ipad as remote viewfinder. You can be in front of the camera while you adjust/reposition your subject, mess with lighting, etc., as you hit the shutter. Who needs an assistant anymore?

Or you can unobtrusively hold the lens above your head at sporting events with your ipad on your lap. That should please some folks. :)

This already exists for DSLRs, which would be far more useful in a studio for a pro, with their nice $2500 lens.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
That is absolutely when I would take the SLR, just like I will next week. A phone is ok for snapshots anytime. If I'm going out in the woods, I want a real lens.

You missed the point!

The reason you take an SLR over an iPhone is because of the 'Real Lens', hence with them now providing these 'special' lens' perhaps you can take your iPhone + one of these 'real lens'.

Granted it is not the same as an SLR, I am sure tech will improve with time.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
You missed the point!

The reason you take an SLR over an iPhone is because of the 'Real Lens', hence with them now providing these 'special' lens' perhaps you can take your iPhone + one of these 'real lens'.

Granted it is not the same as an SLR, I am sure tech will improve with time.

Um. Guess we agree.

Oh, also, my main point is that such outings are the best time for your best setup. Why can't you carry the camera there?

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
This is nothing new.
Is anyone of you aware of this:
http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/gxr/
Sound stupid to have a sensor for each lens, but it gets wise, when sensor price (which gets lower a bit like moore's law) is irrelevant to lens price.
Then you replace that Ricoh's camera back with cell phone and here we are.
Today's camera has 4 major parts: lens, sensor, brain(with storage) and display. If smart phone has half of these it's practical to add only missing parts. This is also nice for wireless remote display and interface.
Btw, is there an app for EOS 6D already?

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Um. Guess we agree.

Oh, also, my main point is that such outings are the best time for your best setup. Why can't you carry the camera there?

I am just saying it is easier to carry an iPhone + Lens than a full SLR setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.