Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
For me it was always worse to see "generic" products in shows and movies. I also hate it when they are using real products but go out of their way to hide the logo or name (like an iMac with a sticker covering the Apple logo on the back).

I think there's a middle ground that needs to be found. The generic labels always seemed a bit off, but so does the blatant placement of logos/products within the frame. I get why it's necessary, but it would feel much more organic if someone picking up the can of Coke didn't always have the label unblocked by their hand or other similar instances.

No other smartphone or tablet would be capable of shooting an entire episode of a TV show.

:rolleyes:

Imagine what this trend and capabilities mean to aspiring future movie and TV producers!

Equipment size/cost/etc. has been going down for years. The iPhone is a pretty nice little camera, but it's hardly ever going to replace a dedicated camera. It will have much more of an impact on news gathering, since it's paired to a device people have on them already.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Man, Al Bundy is old!!! :)

BTW, I tried to watch this show. I just can't to me Ed O'Neill is always Al Bundy and watching him in another role just doesn't fit.

funny, i just see him as a more mature Al Bundy later in life and it works just fine. he is a divorcee in the show after all.....

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Actually, Apple is paying for it. In this article, it says Apple provided ABC with iPhones, iPads, Macbooks, and a Mac Pro for editing and post production.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/17/8050553/modern-family-apple-mac-episode-connection-lost

LMAO! I like how you didn't bother reading it properly. It's okay though, I understand that you were trying to win your losing argument. ;)

It said "THE SHOW APPROACHED APPLE" about the episode and they wanted to use Apple products. That's hardly the same as Microsoft shoving the Surface in our faces on TV. Nearly every sports network or show has a Surface tablet on their table with the word SURFACE on the back of the tablet. Hmm, funny though, I've never seen a Surface tablet with the word SURFACE written SO BIG on the back of the kickstand. Yeah, that's because MS is shoving that thing in people's faces.
Let's just say it's hardly believable that the sports networks approached Microsoft and begged MS to allow them to promote their Surface tablets. :)

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
LMAO! I like how you didn't bother reading it properly. It's okay though, I understand that you were trying to win your losing argument. ;)

It said "THE SHOW APPROACHED APPLE" about the episode and they wanted to use Apple products. That's hardly the same as Microsoft shoving the Surface in our faces on TV. Nearly every sports network or show has a Surface tablet on their table with the word SURFACE on the back of the tablet. Hmm, funny though, I've never seen a Surface tablet with the word SURFACE written SO BIG on the back of the kickstand. Yeah, that's because MS is shoving that thing in people's faces.
Let's just say it's hardly believable that the sports networks approached Microsoft and begged MS to allow them to promote their Surface tablets. :)

I did read it properly. All I said is that Apple provided ABC with Apple products for filming and editing. Was i wrong?

I never said Apple paid them to make the episode (I said they paid some costs in making it), nor did I ever compare Apple to Microsoft. I know that it was ABC's idea, and they approached Apple and Apple gave them equipment. The point I was making is that Apple probably saved ABC tens of thousands of dollars to make the episode. So in a way, Apple paid for it.

Again, I'm not comparing Apple to Microsoft. What they do is pathetic.

SaraMac95014

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2014
Seems like a gimmick just to get viewers.

Big fan of Modern Family but this seems lame.
I hope it's realistic (being a wall-hugger, Siri screw-ups) ,etc. But I doubt it.

Ed O'Neill is great in this role which is a 180 from Al Bundy. Yes, he's cranky but his love of family really comes through.

----------

Nah, nice try though. Unlike MS who needs the throw the Surface in everybody's face to get people to buy them Apple's products are generally placed out of the movie studio's choice. You should already know that. Apple's products don't need shameless promotion tactics unlike Microsoft's non-selling stuff.

Wrong. Apple's products are shamelessly promoted.
The bottom line is that Apple assisted with production, which is the equivalent of writing a check. Maybe a check was also written. It's not much different from a subsidy from the government, except it's Apple consumers who are subsidizing, not taxpayers.

TV production is a business. It doesn't necessarily include ethical behavior. I doubt we'll ever know the whole story.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Nah, nice try though. Unlike MS who needs the throw the Surface in everybody's face to get people to buy them Apple's products are generally placed out of the movie studio's choice. You should already know that. Apple's products don't need shameless promotion tactics unlike Microsoft's non-selling stuff.

Apple is one of the most prolific promoters of their products in popular media.

Don't be fooled to think they're any different than Microsoft or Google or any other tech company.

While it's true Apple doesn't pay anyone to use their products on TV, thus not paying for product placement. Apple actively provides "hollywood " with free products for use on screen (TV and Movies). it is not often always by the "movie studios choice" either. A buddy of mine in the film business has had apple approach him to just USE Mac's on screen so that they would have their logo's seen.

it's not uncommon to watch programming where 90%+ of all computers are apple devices. And clearly marked as Apple devices (the Logo's are always clearly visible, never covered, and always clean and perfect looking)

This is a stark contrast to the real world where Apple computers are < 12% the market.

to believe Apple doesn't participate in product placement advertisement is disingenuous

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Apple must have paid HANDSOMELY for that

$$$$$

Apple must have paid handsomely for product placement.

Should be interesting, I love that show. Under all the comedy, it has a nice message of what makes a family "whether the one you were born in or the one you made for yourself", as Gloria says (she's hot btw)

----------

OF COURSE they are ! Only dedicated fanboys believe Apple products are great they automatically make their way to shows and movies:

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-product-placements-in-tv-and-movies-2012-8

They have been paying for it for years!

omalansky

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2014
Perfect!

This is perfect! Crap production values to match the crap content that passes for entertainment these days. :cool:

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I hate the strange narrative structures Modern Family has been using this season. I think this will be pretty stupid. Although its fascinating how overt product placement is becoming in this day and age. And I think consumers have become so accustomed to it that they have gone numb.

Yea, I'm not feeling this either and it just screams cheesy product placement

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
This is perfect! Crap production values to match the crap content that passes for entertainment these days. :cool:

I wouldn't lump Modern Family in with the crap.

On the other hand, shows like "Fresh Off The Boat" and "Blackish" look like crap. I'm all for diversity in television, but those seem very forced.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
OF COURSE they are ! Only dedicated fanboys believe Apple products are great they automatically make their way to shows and movies:

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-product-placements-in-tv-and-movies-2012-8

They have been paying for it for years!

There is certainly some product distribution as a comp for placement - in addition, according to a few friends of mine in film and TV (wide range of professions, writers, CDs, ADs), Apple products are in such high percentage use in the industry, they're commonly the go to when tech is needed in the production. One friend specifically said - this person may or may not work on a well known show that may/may not be on HBO :D - the obfuscated Apple logos are often times on equipment the SD used, some “deal” didn’t happen, and there were no freebies (i.e., it was an internal design choice and had zero to do with corporate product placement).

Pretty interesting stuff. :cool:

(I’m currently engaged in something that has overlap into the film industry, and it’s _amazing_ the rabbit hole of ownership you have to deal with when considering the content of even a 5 minute scene.)

Mike49

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
Man, Al Bundy is old!!! :)

BTW, I tried to watch this show. I just can't to me Ed O'Neill is always Al Bundy and watching him in another role just doesn't fit.

Let it go, dude....the 21st century awaits your arrival.;)

commodorepet

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2013
I read a feature film at Sundance was shot on IPhones (instead of cameras costing tens of thousands of dollars). Imagine what this trend and capabilities mean to aspiring future movie and TV producers!

Look it up, I believe it was an iphone coupled with a cinema lens that cost, you guessed it, several tens of thousands of dollars.

edit : Looked it up : Tangerine. Less cost than I thought, but still not a "naked" iphone.
steadicam smoothie + moondog labs lens.

There was an older film that used a $$$$$ lens in front.

Last edited:

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Anyone who understands things knows this isn't "Product Placement" in the sense of Apple pushing a product, but instead the show wanting to use them and asking Apple if they can have some stuff in exchange.

But, the really brilliant thing is Ty Burrell is a Voice Over talent for Samsung. and if you watch Modern Family, you'd know Phil Dumphy has a similar mindset like Michael Scott from the Office, thinking high-end products make you a better person and a love of all things new and "cool"

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Who the hell cares, it's a show for morons!

For sure! It's that kind of politically correct, supposed-to-be-feel-good slop that mindless liberals and other morons love to watch on TV. With Apple's ghetto headphone line and talk of laptops too thin to plug anything into them this is hardly surprising.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
I love Modern Family and all but let's face it..most of TV productions who claim to use 'video chat apps' especially OSX ones are 100% faking it..anyone who has ever been at LAX or any major airport with their laptops would know that..leaving network speeds aside (which is obvious first no go) transcoding is pretty bad on Facetime to be even considered to be broadcasted or sold as HD quality..also summing up into obvious - most users even the ones in love with Apple are using Skype or other apps to communicate..Facetime being overly clunky starting from basic things like userflow and not being able to communicate crossplatform (those Android or PC users). But Modern Family in general is good TV and they probably got good $$$ for the whole episode ad sold to Apple so well done on that

Skype has its share of problems too. I listen to a lot of podcasts using it and they complain endlessly about that too. It's just more open-ended so it lends itself to productions better than FaceTime. But in terms of general usability and picture quality, FaceTime always wins with a good connection.

I casually watch this show but I will tune into the episode just to see how they handle the HD limitations of FaceTime used in an HD broadcast scenario.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
So the show is pulling a gimmick to compensate for its lack of creativity the last two years?

Who am I'm kidding. I'll probably watch it.

----------

I wouldn't lump Modern Family in with the crap.

On the other hand, shows like "Fresh Off The Boat" and "Blackish" look like crap. I'm all for diversity in television, but those seem very forced.

Both of those shows have been getting favorably critical ratings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.