Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

star555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Cambodia - Thailand
I have just downloaded the latest update ( 10.5.5 ) and then rebooted my iMac , next the software Update
box appeared on screen as usual, saying .. Installing 1 item , configuring Installation .
Then the Blue progress bar started to move to the right , went about 1/4 of an inch and stopped there, I left the iMac running for Two hours and the progress blue bar had not moved. I then turned off the iMac , re booted , re connected to the internet , clicked software up date, the 10.5.5 update was shown again, I then clicked to download this update, then the do you want to shutdown now notice appeared, so I shutdown again and the whole same process started again as before . So basically It seems that the update 10.5.5 has been downloaded onto my iMac, but gets stuck on the .. Installing 1 item - configuring Installation part.

I have gone through the Zap PRAM and Repair Permission , but that seems not to have resolved any thing
I did un plug any external USB items while the , Installing 1 item - configuring Installation part was in operation.

Other that that the iMac is running fine.

I am still in a learning Apple Mac mode, so any help would be most appreciated.

star555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Cambodia - Thailand
Thanks for the advice, I just used the normal update and having a external usb modem this update took all day to download at 321 MB , ive just looked at the Mac OS X 10.5.5 Combo Update web page

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1055comboupdate.html

and its showing the combo download at 601 MB which on the usb external modem will probley take a few days to download , or as a newcomer to Mac's am I missing some thing :)

Neil321

macrumors 68040
and its showing the combo download at 601 MB which on the usb external modem will probley take a few days to download , or as a newcomer to Mac's am I missing some thing :)

Nope your not missing anything, i normally do a complete reinstall of the OS when a major update is released ie .4 to .5,mine was 601mb with the combo update ( MBP ) but unlike you mine only took a few minutes to download

star555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Cambodia - Thailand
Thanks neil, I am just hoping that some how the 10.5.5. update is installed on my iMac some where and I don't hve to go through the long winded download again , ive just got to try and find an answer as to why the update seems to stick when the configuring Installation begins .. :(

star555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Cambodia - Thailand
can any one tell me how I can check to see if the 10.5.5. update I downloaded
and will not install itself, is actually some where on my Mac..?:(

Neil321

macrumors 68040
I'm not sure where to check if it downloaded correctly but if you to "about this Mac " :apple: symbol top left in the menu bar it'll tell where you are .4 or .5. If it says .5 then i take it, it installed correctly,if not then the combo is the way to go

star555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Cambodia - Thailand
Thanks neil, the About This Mac , says 10.5.4 , when I downloaded the 10.5.5 Update , the warning box poped up to say that the download was complete and I needed to restart my computer to install the Update, so I am assuming as that warning box appeared on screen then the Update was downloaded to my iMac, so I am wondering if the 10.5.5 download is sitting in a file some where on my iMac and I can could then possibily install it from there ..?

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
It should be sitting in "whatever your hard disc is called"/library/receipts...

Try running it again from there

star555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Cambodia - Thailand
Hi logana , well ive had a look and can only find this ..

a.receiptdb

that was downloaded at the time I downloaded the 10.5.5. Update ,
its a 242.1 mb document , ive tried to open it but no luck yet.

not sure what to do next

Thanks

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
If it is only 242.1 then you have found the problem - it should have been 321 !

That is why it is not installing...

Time to download the combo I fear - are you on dial-up or something ??

star555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Cambodia - Thailand
logana, all I can say is OMG , the 10.5.5. 321 mb took nearly two days to download , this is enough to make me take to the bottle again, If I download the combo up date and my internet connection gets cut off , if I have to start all over again downloading the combo Update , will on the second time of my trying to download the same combo Update start from the last download point, and not start all over again from the start , as I am sure some where along the possible Four day Update download period, my dial up internet connection will be cut, and I will have to re start it :(

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
I appreciate your problem but can you maybe "borrow" somebody's broadband connection - not knowing where in the world you may be located doesn't help either !!

star555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Cambodia - Thailand
logana , Yes sorry I should have included my location , which I think may shed some light onto my problem, I am situated on the border with Cambodia and Thailand. So getting to a broadband connection would take a few days traveling :(

star555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Cambodia - Thailand
Hi Neil, yes it would be nice to have a faster connection, but alas it took me Two years of waiting to get this normal phone line, and I live much too far from the ADSL footprint , so I am stuck with this slow dial up internet connection for some years to come. I am trying to confirm to my self that I have found the correct 10.5.5. Updtae download file on my iMac , Ive found a
a.receiptdb file that is I think the 10.5.5. Updtae download , do you know if this a.receiptdb could be an Update Download ..?

Thanks

Neil321

macrumors 68040
Unfortunately I've got stuck at work so I'm tapping away on a sony laptop & I'm unable to check for you, have you tried opening it ?. The only other thing i can think off ( but not sure if its possible ) is if someone downloaded it for you into a folder or something and e-mailed it to you. Hopefully logana will sign back in soon and answer that for you.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
E-mailing won't work since it will take a day to download the e-mail !!

Could somebody download it, burn to cd and post to you ?

Can you do a software update scan and see what it shows ? If you click on the 10.5.5 update it may well say "partially downloaded" and if so then it should only have to download the remainder...

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'll do you favor; I'm break the 5.5 update into many small RAR files and then you just download them one at a time (so if your internet dies, you won't have to redownload the whole thing) and then decompress it into the DMG?

If you want to do this way, just PM me.

star555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Cambodia - Thailand
This is my current situation with the 10.5.5 Update download

1. I have downloaded the Update and when this was complete, I was asked if I wanted to restart my computer now, I clicked yes restart now.

2. The computer shutdown .

3. The computer rebooted and the box appears on screen .. Software Update- Installing 1 item
then the small blue progress bar moves to the right about 1/4 on an inch .

4. The blue progress bar does not move any further after an Hour.

5. I shutdown the computer

6. I reboot and every thing seem's to be working OK

7. I reconnect the computer to the internet

8. I click on the  and then Software Update

9. The software Up date box appears ,

10. The software up date box now shows that the 10.5.5 Update is available to download

11. I tick the 10.5.5 and click the Install now

12. then the same happens all over again as in 3 - 4 above

13 . I am back to the same situation where The blue progress bar sticks and does not move any further

14. I have clicked  and about this Mac and it shows 10.5.4

15. I have looked in my downloads file and cannot see any thing related to the 10.5.5 Update I have downloaded.

I would like t try this ...

download the 10.5.5 Update again to my iMac using the Apple Update ,( smaller size than a combo ) just in case the first download was corrupted in some way , to do this I need to delete the first download file ( which keeps getting stuck ) so can some one please tell me where to look for the first 10.5.5 download attempt so I can now delete it and attempt to download it again , if that does not work for a second time, then I will have to go another route as suggested.

Or ..as my iMac is running OK is it better to wait until the next update and try again then:(

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Hi again - there won't be anything in the downloads folder because you used software update to download the file but the file is incomplete/corrupt/whatever.

Two choices - move the incomplete update (a.receiptdb) from the receipts folder to the desktop then run Software update again and it will download the file again (hopefully all of it this time) and then install the update.....or

Go to Apple.com and then download the update (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosx1055update.html - this will save it to your download folder and you will be able to see the download progress and should be able to stop and start the download as required.

Good luck !

star555

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Cambodia - Thailand
Thanks logana , I think I am going to try ...

Go to Apple.com and then download the update (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...055update.html - this will save it to your download folder and you will be able to see the download progress and should be able to stop and start the download as required.

just one dumb question .. when the download is complete , what do I have to do with it , so it Updates my iMac to 10.5.5 :)

alphaod .. Thanks for your kind offer, I am going to try the above first :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.