Update: Downgraded to 2.21, this is for those who get the 1600 error

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ki2594, Apr 13, 2009.

1. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

Alright so..

I had 3.0 beta 2 (registered dev) and i got kinda sick of the bugs and stuff so i decided to go back. Everytime i put the iPhone in DFU mode and then restored to the 2.2.1 file, i expected the 10XX errors that everyone else was getting, but i continued to get the 1600 error!

THIS IS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING, and still can't get the CORRECT error in iTunes

So this is how i ended up doing it, and it worked :) I have a fully functional 2.2.1 iPhone 3G.

(Used a combo of Mac & PC)

1. DO NOT DFU MODE your iPhone. Simply connect your iPhone to your mac, and OPTION+CLICK on "Restore". Then scroll to the 2.2.1 ipsw file on your harddrive and let iTunes do what it does.
    2. About half way through, iTunes stopped and gave me an error which i believe was (21), i got scared but actually i was able to continue. My iPhone had the connect to itunes thing, and i thought the best thing to do was to just restore and go back to 3.0, i didn't wanna mess up my phone.
    3. I think option-restored again and tried to put 3.0 back on (scroll to your 3.0 ipsw file and click restore). Half way through this restore, i got the 1013 error! This means 2.2.1 was already installed on my phone. SWEET.
    4. So now i just had to bump it out of DFU mode, so i opened up Quickpwn on WINDOWS, did what it directed (hold the home/power buttons for 15 seconds and let go of the home for 2 seconds) and boom, i had 2.2.1 :)

I then brought it back to my mac were i restored from a previous 2.2.1 backup, and now all is well and bug free :)

Obviously, i'm not sure if this will work for everyone, but it worked for me and one of my twitter followers that guided me through it.

Good luck!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

160x errors are errors from bad USB connection. A quick USB swap or restart of whole Mac or PC takes care of this.

3. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

congrats on the fix. i was actually thinking about today!

bleu

4. arubinst macrumors 6502

This phrase is priceless!!! ;)

5. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thats what i thought, but for some reason nothing was working for my iPhone, thank god for my twitter followers :)

6. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

haha :p

7. PartisanEntity macrumors member

I have a question that is related, so I am posting it here, hope you don't mind.

Once you downgrade and jailbreak, can you then restore yet again without jailbreaking? Or do you have to keep jailbreaking until you upgrade to the official OS 3.0?

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Don't quite get your question. Can you rephrase it with more detail?

9. ki2594 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i think he means that if he jailbroke the phone in the process of downgrading to actually perform the downgrade, if he can now restore from the jailbroken firmware, to the original stock firmware through iTunes..

And from what i've read, people are getting errors when trying to do so.