Update free to users 14 days or less!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by superman193, Jul 10, 2008.

1. superman193 macrumors regular

I just got off the phone with apple tech, and they told me if I bought my ipod touch 14 days or less ago, i would get 2.0 free SO they gave me a special code (ITunes gift code) worth 9.99 to buy my update!!!! :) Just call them up!

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

I take it that they asked for your serial number and whatnot?

3. imnotatfault macrumors regular

Ugh, just shut down. She didn't give me a code. Said I had to wait until tomorrow when I sign into iTunes to get further information about any "possible" credits. Yes, she didn't even guarantee it to me.

Annoyed.

4. superman193 thread starter macrumors regular

Yep serial and all, & @ last poster? you must of got a bad person because I got my code & guarantee. where might you be living?

5. imnotatfault macrumors regular

US. :mad:

6. superman193 thread starter macrumors regular

Call tommorw, im suspecting my rep made a mistake by having loose lips / giving me code early

7. fvalle24, Jul 10, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  8. imnotatfault macrumors regular

Called the Apple Store where I purchased and also called someone else at the 1-800-MY-APPLE number. Apple Store said no freebies for upgrades. 1-800 said that ALL iPod touch users will have to pay for upgrade, whether they bought it yesterday, tomorrow, or a month from now. She said that's the official stance and no one is getting a free ride for this one. I asked her how that even makes sense for someone a month from now to walk into the Apple Store, pay $400 for an iPod, get home, and be told they have to spend an additional $10 to get full functionality out of it. She said "you have a valid point, but that's what the powers-that-be decided." I also mentioned that I knew people who received gift codes and she said well I don't know how that happened, but that's not our policy.

I love it.

9. superman193 thread starter macrumors regular

wow this is really getting F***ed up :confused: I wish i had'a recorded the phone call :( cuz i bet ur starting not to believe me..

10. imnotatfault macrumors regular

I believe you more than them. At least your story is consistent.

11. dmkemick macrumors member

I just checked the site, and it says this under the iPod Touch app store info in small print:

*Access to the App Store requires the iPhone 2.0 Software Update for iPod touch, sold separately.

So it seems to me that you'll have to purchase the update even if you buy a Touch after the update. Kinda lame...I've been waiting this week to order mine and I wish I would have just done it earlier this week to make some shipping progress.

12. superman193 thread starter macrumors regular

Why dont you try calling this number 1-800-263-3394 thats the one I called...

13. thenewguy macrumors regular

Another confirmation that the 2.0 software won't be provided free on any future iTouch's. We all have to buy the software. (this came from applecare tech support)

14. superman193 thread starter macrumors regular

this is starting to piss me off :| how come I've got my code from the number ive listed above and NOONE ELSE HAS!?!?!?!?! WTF :confused:

15. tymmini macrumors newbie

or the OP can just share the code with us lol.

16. superman193 thread starter macrumors regular

Code most likly only works on 1... I'd be happy to share after I got my 2.0 tommorw :p ACTUALLY ill just share my ispw file tommorw with you guys :) drop me a pm to those who want it OR msn me @ akamcparland@hotmail.com

17. aethelbert macrumors 601

Ah, yes. Brilliant. Could you please post the one-time-use code that you've already used?

18. superman193 thread starter macrumors regular

Havent used it yet :rolleyes: im waiting till tommorw

19. imnotatfault macrumors regular

I don't understand this business model at all:
    July 15, you walk into Apple Store:
    Hi, I'd like a 32GB iPod Touch, please.
    Here you go, sir. That'll be $500 + tax

You go home. Plug it in. "This iPod needs a firmware update. Please enter your credit card information for the $9.99 fee."

That's bull. More importantly, you are PAYING APPLE to gain access to a store where they are encouraging you to buy applications that they receive a share of the profit on.

20. superman193 thread starter macrumors regular

Bud, thats BS Apple would never do that especially if I just got off the phone with apple Canada saying / giving me a code telling me ill get the firmware 2.0 free because i got my ipod 3 days ago!? I think these Reps are misinformed. Either my rep made a mistake or yours did...

21. imnotatfault macrumors regular

I'm going to give it until tomorrow before I call again. But I am fuming. I mean, as angry as I am about having to pay them to pay for other things, it's just that we're all being lied to. If everyone called right now, everyone would get a different story. There is no excuse for that kind of misinformation. This update didn't fall into Apple's lap. It's coming tomorrow and there's already been a press release. There should be one official story and that's it. As soon as they compensated you, they implicitly agreed to compensate everyone who purchased within 14 days.

22. tymmini macrumors newbie

haha from the sounds of it, it's yours :p

please do share the code after you use it tomorrow, be much appreciated!...got mine 3 weeks ago :(

23. superman193 thread starter macrumors regular

Ill do better then that, Im going to share the ispw

24. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

That's not quite legal. And that sort of activity isn't condoned on this forum.

25. DaveGee macrumors 6502a

Agreed... if I were the OP I'd quietly retreat to another thread and be happy with credit he was given... :D

To everyone else...

Lets all turn it down a notch... What was the iPod Touch firmware policy when the January Update was announced? Now what makes you think Apple would deviate from that policy when 2.0 comes out? I dunno but I think everyone should relax and wait to see what tomorrow will bring.

Dave