UPDATE: Have successfully modded iPad 1 dock for iPhone 4!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by alexjholland, May 4, 2011.

1. alexjholland, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011

alexjholland macrumors 6502

Hey

I have an iPhone 4 and a Nano currently. I plan to sell my Nano to a friend and get an iPod Classic and will likely get an iPad this year.

Getting a dock that fits all these devices, which all use the same connecter should be no problem. But it seems it is!

The universal dock is ridiculous. I'm not messing around with inserts every time I switch devices. All you need is the 30 pin connecter at an angle, with some lightly-spring-loaded rear (even a flexible strip of plastic) to take the varying weight/depth of whatever device is docked.

I heard someone mention the iPad dock works with the iPhone 4, is this true? Would it also work with the iPod Classic?.. Couldn't care about keyboard, I just want something neater to sit them in for sync/charge.

If iPad dock can cover all devices then that's me sorted - even if it is a little big.

2. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

the original ipad dock is the one you want. it will accommodate all of the devices you listed. the new ipad2 dock has a lip that prevents this.

3. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

Great, thanks buddy. Will the iPad 1 dock work with an iPad 2 ok? Sure it will cover all those devices? I'll order one immediately if so. Let me know if you know of anywhere in the UK that stocks them!

4. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

5. woodguy32 macrumors newbie

6. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

Wood looks nice, those supporting levers are a good idea - but not my style. My room's all modern, white, with black wood - Apple's stuff looks perfect.

Also, I don't like giving money to anyone who thinks it's a good idea to write 'lol' on a page promoting his business endeavours.

The iPad 1 dock should be at home when I get back today. I'll test it with my iPhone 4, Nano and sister's iPod Touch and report back.

7. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey Oakie, thanks for just wasting £25 of my money. The iPhone 4, even without a case, does NOT fit the official iPad 1 dock. No way.

If I push it right down and hold it, to the point where the connecter is surely bending, a connection is made - but it pops straight off. Completely useless.

Unless there is some information I am missing (looking at the basic dimensions, the iPhone 4 is simply too deep to fit) you've just sounded off completely false information that has cost me cash.

Thanks, really ****ing useful!

8. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

sorry you got some bad advice. I've been in the same predicament. I found this thread but have been afraid to try it. check it out and report back. I'd love to know if you can pull this off.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1010200

9. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey, looks like that's my only option - thanks! Have the base off already.. Not sure which part of plastic he intends me to trim.. Easiest would be to sand away the vertical plate the device rests against, but then it would be scratched..

10. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I have no idea what he's talking about. That's why I was hoping you'd be the guinea pig. The directions aren't very clear. I also can't figure out why his iphone is in Hebrew but his itunes and keyboard are English. A little weird. Whatever he did clearly worked. I've been thinking about trying it for a few days.

11. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

Done. Can confirm, it works with iPhone 4 and the Nano 6G no problem - I'd like to test it with a Classic before I upload a proper how-to-guide for everyone though.

For now, here is how I did it.

Tools:
    - Scalpel/sharp stanley knife
    - Two thin flat screwdrivers

First I removed the sticky rubber pad, by simply sliding a screwdriver off and lifting it off. The adhesive, an hour later, was still strong enough to reattach. Otherwise I'd have used some glue - easy.

Hardest part was removing the plastic base. I was concerned there may be delicate electronics, but once it was open (as you can see) it's clear that most of it is solid metal.

Use the two screwdrivers to slide around the base, holding open one part whilst you open another. I did most of the work around the side areas (you are going to get a few chips), but you will need to lever the front at some point due to the angle of the vertical resting-plate - just be careful.

[​IMG]

This first image was after I had started a little carving. As you can see there is a tab indent on both sides, although I'd started to remove the one on the right.

Through trial-and-error, I established you have to slice all the raised grey plastic off forwards of the slot. All the way to the white. You also need to remove a little (perhaps a mm) to the left and right as well.

Once the slot was the correct dimensions, I simply clicked the stand back on and placed the rubber pad back, using some heavy pressure.

[​IMG]

What I'm left with, is the dock connector defaulting to the same position as when I started, but easily flexing forwards to accommodate my iPhone.

My iPhone 4 easily slots into place, no resistance and sits neatly on the base. Really happy with the result.

I just need to test this with the Classic (ordering one in the next week or so). Any other model iPod I can think of should surely sit on it, no problem.

[​IMG]

12. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

how is the connection between the dock connector and the circuitry in the stand. If you have it flexing to support multiple devices aren't you worried it'll lose connectivity after a short time? What about your iphone with a bumper on? does it fit?

13. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

I am no engineer, but the dock connector is connected to the internal electronics by a ribbon cable. It's also fitted on a plastic hinge mechanism that seems almost purpose-designed to move. Again, I may be mistaken - but it seems great all round.

From what I've seen in this device, the only reason Apple haven't released a simple universal dock for all devices, with no plastic inserts, using a hinge/spring-loaded dock connector is sheer greed. This is nearly it.

Again, there could be something I haven't thought of yet; and I haven't tested it with a Classic - but this is great so far!

14. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Wait, so you're saying apple is greedy. I would have never guessed. I'd say you've convinced me to try it. It sounds easy enough.

Do you have a bumper for your iPhone 4? Will you see if it works alright?

15. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm afraid I don't have a bumper on my iPhone yet, although if I can use one with this iPad mod then I'll probably buy one!

I did hear someone on another forum report success; my best buddy who has a bumper'd iPhone 4 moved to Australia yesterday! The rest are bumper-less..

In all honesty if I'm near the Apple store this weekend I'll likely chance it and get one.. It's difficult to walk past without visiting; and difficult to visit without purchasing something!

16. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I'll check back on this thread at the end of the weekend then and see if you did or not. I'm still debating wether or not I want to try this myself.

17. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry buddy, I think the white bumper looks sweet, but I checked reviews and they're shocking. Aside from falling apart, there are loads of reports of scratches being left on iPhones.. If anyone comes round who has one, I'll make sure to try it!

18. ARSkemp macrumors 6502

I've heard about the scratches as well. Its the dirt/junk that gets in between the bumper and the phone that causes the scratches. If you clean it periodically you should be fine, but if you want to be extra careful (I would, its an expensive device) then just putting some scotch tape around the metal band on the phone will prevent it from getting scratched up. I'm using a black knockoff bumper from dealextreme and have had no problems with scratches using this kind of method. Here's a link to the white version of what I am using:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/stylish-protective-bumper-frame-case-for-iphone-4-white-47526

19. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

20. alexjholland, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011

alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

21. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

UPDATE: I made it work!

Ok, so for the iPad 1 dock to accommodate an iPhone 4 with a bumper, we simply have to reduce height. Up until now has been easy; this is a little tougher - we're going to nulify the stand! (If you don't know what nulify means, don't hurt your eyes by Google image searching it).

I started with an ancient electric sander, which took down the grey plastic a bit. I had to get a very thin flat screwdriver under the grey plastic to prise it off though, leaving a raised ridge of white plastic around it.

I then used a stanley knife (you can get more weight behind it than a scalpel) to take the edge off so I had a flat surface, then I used light sandpaper to finish the surface off flat.

(As I recall from craft at school, wet and dry sandpaper would get a pro job - but this looks good enough.)

So I'm now left with a flat surface, albeit with four small holes. It actually looks better in real life, without flash. I may apply something to finish it, like a high quality matt spray all over (naturally after disassembling), or maybe a strip of white electrical tape along the bottom - any other ideas?

[​IMG]

And here is the final stand, with my bumper'd iPhone 4 proudly aloft. It still works fine with my Nano - will test with my Classic when it arrives!

I'm glad I persevered, because the white bumper does look pretty sweet. All I need to do now is get slim 3.5mm audio cables!

[​IMG]

22. iamartimus macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thank you for the updates and How-To instructions. I ordered 2 of these off of eBay for $7.50 shipped, but was bummed to hear that it didnt work with the bumper. Thanks for the update! Can't wait for mine to come in so I can work on my project!

23. alexjholland thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey man, I don't make promises - but mine definitely works! Nice and solid too. Once a few more people have done this successfully and confirmed compatibility with the following models, I'll feel comfortable uploading a guide:

- iPhone 3GS
    - iPod Classic
    - iPad 1
    - iPad 2

Also, how did you get yours so cheap? Are they official? All the ones in the UK I can find are still full price of £25 - around $50! I wouldn't mind doing another super-neat now I know what I'm doing..

24. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I know you're in the uk but I'm planning to pick up two from this seller and use a process like you did.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dock-Station-Cr...ccessories&hash=item4aa9bde671#ht_2312wt_1398

25. iamartimus macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nah, not official. These are from China. No way am I going dish out $50 and it still need some mod work. $7.50 for 2? If it doesn't work, trash em!