Update must be close....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EmbraceNext, Oct 14, 2011.

1. EmbraceNext macrumors member

I went to my local Apple store to order a 15" with the high res display. They said they can't place the order. None are in-stock and not being replenished. Watch the site for the next couple weeks and come back in when you see an update.

So I left without an order but pretty happy there is an update soon.

2. Arsenal09 macrumors member

Strange, last saturday i ordered a 15inch MBP with Hi-res in a store nearby. But, I'm still waiting for it to arrive..

3. LeiQQ macrumors regular

LeiQQ

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hope so. I want to order a new MacBook pro right after the update

4. Quinoky macrumors regular

Quinoky

I certainly hope so. I was about to order one this week but I decided to wait just a week or two, since there are more and more indications that a new MBP is coming up.

5. LeiQQ macrumors regular

LeiQQ

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Me too. I went to order and saw the article and decided to wait a week or two.

6. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Thanks for sharing OP. here's to hoping Tuesday is the refresh. If it is a minor bump I can't see Apple letting the channels run dry for too long, considering there is probably minimal changes in production.

Processor bump and bluetooth 4.0 will make me happy, anything else I'm all for.

7. Jrv macrumors regular

If they put a graphics card in the 13 pro I'll be pissed. Legitimately the only fault of this machine. I really could care less about some minor processor bump or something.

8. StarHunter macrumors newbie

The spec update will simply use the new processors intel put out in September. Nothing else came out so there's nothing else to really upgrade. So we may see the 2.4 and 2.5ghz CPUs and that's about it.

9. EmbraceNext thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I am REALLY hoping that the 13in gets the same res as the 13in air. The 1280x800 killed me.

10. SParker1tx macrumors newbie

It's time for a major refresh, I've been holding off for about 7 months now. I can Feel it coming!

11. cooljoe349 macrumors regular

cooljoe349

I can't wait i'm hoping for bump in processor and graphics card

12. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Agreed. Its BS. I'd like to say video editing is much more valued on a 13" MBP than any MacBook air...(though I still love the air).

13. Berius macrumors member

I just bought a 13" yesterday. I would gladly return this and pay $250 more if they added a quad core or a dedicated gpu. Hopefully this update comes within 13 days lol.

14. mac jones, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

mac jones macrumors 68040

It might even be good if they offered this as a $50 HD upgrade, and also a $50 Anti-glare version, like they do with the other sizes. Of course paying for this is a drag, but the option for anti-glare just might be worth the extra. I don't like the glass very much. I've noticed that it also tends to make the laptop 'less balanced' (the glass adds about a half a pound, which concentrates the weight at the rear edge when used on your lap. Balance of weight on your lap is important as even distribution makes the laptop feel much lighter. When the weight is concentrated on one edge it can get uncomfortable. I watch a lot of iTunes movies so this is important to me)

Don't all jump on me at once :D

15. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I want antiglare on my 13" sooo bad not just for the antiglare but for the silver bezel which IMO looks better. Still looking for an after market silver bezel with an antiglare screen protector.

16. Stetrain macrumors 68040

13" should drop the DVD drive for a dedicated GPU with a 1440x900 display and anantiglare option. I don't think that will happen with this update, so far it's only been rumored as a spec bump, but the fact that the MBA has a higher res screen is pretty silly.

It was obvious for a while that the 13" MBP was actually the mainstream consumer Macbook. You see a lot of them at colleges and they were a nice choice over the plastic Macbook. The 13" MBA has pretty much replaced that segment though so I can't see the 13" MBP sticking around much longer without becoming more powerful.

17. Big Macs macrumors newbie

Hi, Macbook newbie here.

I'm planning on buying a MacBook Pro and am wondering if the spec bump will assuredly increase the price? It's gonna be my birthday/Christmas/grad combined present but I'd feel totally bad if I asked my parents for even more than the 1200 base price.

Kinda want to know if I should get my hopes up or just prepare to buy a refurbished...

18. randomrazr macrumors 65816

you guys are all wasting ur time.

Apples not gonna upgrade the macbook pros with new processors or anything.

If anything, the most would be an added higher processor like they did last year.

It wont be 2012 till intels ivy bridge processors are released. then apple will have a reaso to upgrade the pro line.

the current sandybridge macbook pros are plenty powerful for the average consumer. you can either play the waiting game or buy now if u need and enjoy.

im gonna enjoy my anti glare 15inch quad core macbook pro while you all wait :D

----------

you wont need anything more than a 13inch

19. iManiac macrumors newbie

So are you saying that the sudden stock outs are due to other factors like LCD yields or perhaps CPU shortages? What else but an update would cause such shortages across all lines? If they add a processor bump, why would they add product numbers to their system? In the past, I cannot remember an added BTO option getting its own unique internal product designation. Why would the retailer stock be delayed if they were only adding a BTO option that is only available from Apple? Wouldn't they just keep stock flowing to stores as smoothly as possible?

It is much more likely that they are speed bumping the line and not just adding a BTO option!

Apple has a very good reason to update in that Intel has provided better chips that will help keep the line fresher as a new update will not be until April or May and otherwise the line would be very long in the tooth by the end and not an attractive "pro" machine.

20. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Before making claims do a little research. Amazon is out of stock on all models except the 13". They didn't even go oos when they had the 20% promotion, so obviously it is a supply shortage. Anyone who knows enough about the internals knows Ivy Bridge won't be until next spring/summer; and therefore a major redesign won't likely occur until then.

If those of us on the fringe on buying decide we want to hold out for a potential minor refresh then so be it. Don't bitch to others that they should just buy now and be happy. Unless they critically needed it in the next few days, why not wait. Why not get more for your money. And if you don't want to read posts from enthusiastic would be buyers then don't hang out on a rumor website. There are dozens of sites devoted to everything else.

21. pingfan59 macrumors member

If you go to www.timbuk2.com and use the laptop fit guide to see which bag fits, the new higher processor speed mbp are in there with same dimensions as early 2011 mbp. I think i saw 2.66ghz and 2.8ghz

22. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Of course Apple still has stock. What do you suppose they have a clearance page for? They let the supplies diminish through other retailers so they don't get stock returned. It's illogical to think that they wait until every single unit of stock is sold until releasing a new model.

FYI apple has complete stock online prior to every update.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

1) You cannot order custom computers from the Apple Store, only buy the standard channel configurations they stock;
    2) Apple Stores only sell the 15" 2.3GHz model with a high-resolution [anti-glare] display;
    3) Just because they can't order a standard channel part, doesn't mean an update—could be many factors from back-ordered on production to simply Apple decided a specific configuration wasn't selling well so they're not stocking it in stores.

24. randomrazr macrumors 65816

sandybirdge processors are more tha enough powerfful for the average consumer needs. a slight processor inrease , uwont even notice it.

apple stores only have one customized option, and thats the highest level model, 2.3gh, anti glare screen etc. there is no, macbook pro with glossy high res at the store.