Update: No Apple.com Full Price Pre-orders

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zachnelson, Sep 12, 2012.

1. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Internal system information has changed. Tomorrow night, Apple is only allowing pre-orders for new contracts or subsidized upgrades. There will be no full price pre-orders. I've spoken to multiple people to confirm this.

If you need/want to pay full price, your carrier should allow such a thing.

2. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

3. bijju macrumors member

i am out of contract from last 3 days.. hope they takes pre-orders from 2morrow.

4. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's a crock of **** really. :/

5. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

By "full price", do you mean factory unlocked?

They never release a factory unlocked iPhone until a month or two after launch.

6. krizko macrumors regular

Yeah, how does this apply to those who for example bought a 4S at launch last year and are somewhere midway into their contract. They don't pay "full price", so does this not apply?

7. Lyons00 macrumors 6502

I called apple.com and they said I could upgrade while paying full price, unless it was going to be unlocked. Any help would be appreciated?

Jerry

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Considering there's only been one iPhone launch so far since unlocked phones were available in the US, you really can't draw any conclusions about trends. In other countries the unlocked phones have always been available on day 1

9. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

No by full price I mean, carrier locked, unsubsidized phones. Such as for one who may be in the middle of a contract with no upgrades.

How would one buy a phone mid contract and not have it be full price?

Three reps I spoke to, including one from Apple Care told me no full price pre-orders. Not sure what to tell you.

10. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

I'm assuming that by "subsidized upgrades" someone with an early upgrade is allowed to pre-order, right?

11. krizko macrumors regular

For example, I bought the 4S on launch day with AT&T.

When I check my upgrade eligibility it says I am eligible for an upgrade at discounted pricing. Which is essentially $199 + $250 fee + $36 fee.

Not the 599 full price.

12. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'd assume the early upgrade ($250 AT&T) thing permits ordering.

----------

See above, sorry I'm with Verizon and don't have the AT&T $250 early upgrade deal. I'd assume thats the exception to this case.

13. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I was hoping to select in store pick up like I did with iPad 3 but seeing as I wasn't ready for the early update pay the regular retail price

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

THIS. IS. NOT. NEWS. (We've been telling you guys this all along. I don't know if you weren't listening or were too busy starting new (redundant) threads, but this is not news.)

15. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I know how to use the search button and not start redundant threads:rolleyes:

16. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

A few hours ago Apple reps were telling me that full price pre-orders would be available this time around and I made a topic with such info. However I called back recently (a few times) after a user experienced the opposite response and the rep informed me their internal documents have changed in regard to full price pre-orders.

17. littleebo356 macrumors member

Now your talking out your arse there arnt u.....

18. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Didn't both the 4 and 4S offer the factory unlocked version months after launch? So that's not just one iPhone launch.

Yes, other countries have iPhones available on day 1 because they're launch dates are later than the US's.

19. KPOM macrumors G5

That's exactly how it was last year. Hopefully AT&T allows pre-orders from their site using no-commitment pricing.

I wonder if you will be able to call in an order from Apple. Sometimes they do things that they don't advertise.

20. PDFierro macrumors 68040

But can we really take this as confirmation? I guess we will just have to wait until its Friday and then try.

21. Mongol macrumors member

Does paying full price mean it is factory unlocked???

Are you sure we can do this through carriers at day 1? Can we just cancel the service plan right after?

22. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

No.

23. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

You can buy it at full price if and only if you are not eligible for any upgrade at all, I believe. I mean, how else will you get it? I think OP means you do not have the option to buy it at full price even if you have an upgrade available since Apple automatically defaults to the lowest price.

24. SayMilesAway macrumors regular

SayMilesAway

I got my 4S on launch day. I just checked the apple app for eligibility and its saying I'm not eligible for an upgrade until May 2013. I don't understand? I have bought the iPhone every year on launch day since the first one in 2007. What gives?

25. littleebo356 macrumors member

I have brought my 4 and 4s full price from launch day off the apple store site, (pre-order) and have used mutiple different carrier sims in it no problem In the uk, must be different in the usa