Update now, or wait for Skylake?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrewtm, Mar 11, 2015.

  1. andrewtm macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2012
    #1
    I currently have a mid-2009 MBP and it's starting to show it's age. I'm in the market for a new MBP but I'm just unsure when to buy it. I was going to wait for Broadwell but after the new Macbook design and with all the talk of a Skylake redesign, I think I should wait it out. I really just don't want my computer to be obsolete in a few years (design-wise).

    So what do you guys think I should do?
    Any feedback is appreciated!
     
  2. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2010
  3. Agent-P macrumors 68030

    Agent-P

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    Location:
    The Tri-State Area
    #3
    Intel plans on having Skylake in laptops by late 2015, but seeing as they're always falling behind schedule that MBP may have to wait until 2016. So something to keep in mind.

    If you don't already have an SSD in your 2009 MBP then I'd suggest doing that to hold you over while you wait. As long as it's still functioning I'd say wait for the Skylake model.
     
  4. S.L. macrumors regular

    S.L.

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2012
    Location:
    USA
    #4
    I sell my current Macbook every year or two and recoup about 70-80% of its original value. I'm surprised more people don't do this.
     
  5. uptempos macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2015
    #5
    For me, I would just update now..if you need a laptop.
     
  6. Derived macrumors regular

    Derived

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2015
    Location:
    Midwest
    #6
    I would absolutely not update now...skylake will be coming this year for at least the 15". If you can hold out till the fall at the latest, you should be able to jump into one of those. It will be a huge jump over the current model.
     
  7. AleXXXa macrumors 6502

    AleXXXa

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2015
    #7
    It won't come out this year, probably Q1 2016. If you can wait, wait. if you need a new lalptop now, get one now. :)
     
  8. Derived macrumors regular

    Derived

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2015
    Location:
    Midwest
    #8
    A few sources that I've seen quoted have said this year, and it would make plenty of sense. No way they're going to wait another year to update a machine that's already using 2 year old hardware when the Skylake parts will be available in a few months.
     
  9. LV-16 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    #9
    I would wait. Not only for Skylake, but I think a redesign is in order to give the 15" rMBP rMB-like features. I feel confident that it'll come out this year.
     
  10. andrewtm thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2012
    #10
    I've read that Apple may very well skip Broadwell entirely for the new 15-inch and introduce a Skylake model at WWDC, similar to how Apple exclusively released the 15-inch rMBP at WWDC in 2012, while the 13-inch came a while after in Fall.
     
  11. Android300zx macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2012
    #11
    So will they have this Skylake for the MBP 13?
     
  12. Derived macrumors regular

    Derived

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2015
    Location:
    Midwest
    #12
    Probably very late in the year, leading to both early 2015 and late 2015 13" MBPs
     
  13. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2010
    #13
    Methinks thy question hath its answer true contained within these very words of thine.
     
  14. LV-16 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    #14
    That's what I'm seeing as well, I really hope so!
     
  15. mtneer macrumors 68020

    mtneer

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2012
    #15
    Since it is a 6 year old machine, you will not likely be looking at a big resale check. So, why not just run it to the ground and then buy whatever is latest at that time? There will always be something worth waiting for - just check out the "Waiting for Ivy Bridge/ Haswell/ Skylake" threads out here. And there will be something else in 2017 calling out when Skylake comes out for sure.
     
  16. Android300zx macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2012
    #16
    I just bought a MBP 13'', received it 3 days ago, sent it back so I can order a 2015 model that was just announced. Now I'm thinking I should wait it out until Skylake drops.

    I heard that it will support Wireless Charging, DDR4 support, wireless monitor capabilities, etc. So WWDC is in the Summer so is it safe to say it'll be available then? Does anyone know a Chinese local/child that is employed by Foxconn? I need the inside scoop.
     
  17. vegardhw macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2010
    Location:
    Norway
    #17
    For me this Broadwell update is a no-brainer since I've waited long enough and I need more CPU power right now. My mid-2009 MBP with SSD is perfect for surfing, email, Word etc but when it comes to video editing and working with raw photos it falls short. And not to mention faster ports for external drives... and retina.. and better battery... etc etc :) Ordered!
     
  18. Samtb macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2013
    #18
    So there'll be new rmbps at wwdc? Will skylake even be available by then?
     
  19. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #19
    Nonsense

    Skylake won't be available until the end of the year so that won't happen. You'll get a broadwell refresh in june and then a complete macbook pro line up update to skylake (with a possible redesign) in early 2016 would be my guess about a year from now.

    More importantly if your laptop is limping along and not doing what you want then you are subjecting yourself to poor performance for a year, no upgrade is worth that.
     
  20. Sickly Grin macrumors member

    Sickly Grin

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2015
    #20
    The latest Pro just seems like the perfect machine. Obviously the 2016 Skylake update will have new updates and features, but even so, that won't make the current early-2015 Pro outdated.

    If I had the money now, I would really be on the fence as to wait or buy one right now. In the end, it all depends on your choice.
     
  21. Jolly-boo macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 8, 2012
    #21
    I guess with the Macbook and Watch out of they way Apple will have the time to redesign some of their products. There's the iPad Pro, if that will come to fruition, but that doesn't seem enough.

    The iPhone will just be a minor upgrade, and I'll assume the same for the iPad Air and Mini. Haven't heard any rumors yet though. Don't quite recall when those starter to come around the last time the Pro and iMacs got their redesigns. Apple adding force touch to the Pro is rather quick, I'd say - though only to the 13 inch models. Dunno here.

    I hope there'll be an redesign of the iMac as well. I'm looking to buying one, a retina one, but I'd much like to buy it when it's redesigned, if even a little.
     
  22. jssrea macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2014
    #22
    I'm in the same boat: I have a mid-2009 MBP that doesn't even have SSD. The thing is, if we wait until Skylake is released and the MBP really gets a new design... People will tell you then to wait until the 2nd generation because the first one usually have a lot of issues (this is what's happening with the rMB). So what, we wait until 2017?
     
  23. Alakagom macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2015
    #23
    I bet by time Skylake Mac comes there will be threads here every hour with '' Should I get Skylake or wait for Cannonlake and its 10 nanometer node :p :D

    I agree with one poster previously here, because of Apple's strong brand, selling off the Mac after 1/2 years at good price shouldn't be a big problem.

    So yea, probably just buy it now and enjoy:cool:

    ( then again hearing the Wifi issues on the Yosemite and all, I understand why you'd wait for Skylake which hopefully would come with less problems..maybe.... but if you got the money now, go for it)
     
  24. wct097 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2010
    #24
    I see people claim this all the time. I personally haven't found that to be the case. How are you getting that kind of money for a used computer? I'm getting 50%, at best. I got about 45% for my 2011 in 2012, and i can't see getting more than 50% for my 2012 now.

    If i could get over $2k for mine today, I'd jump at the opportunity. Paid almost $3k. The base model 15" w/discreet graphics, today sells for less than 70% of what i paid and now has comparable specs to my higher end CTO model from 2012.
     
  25. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #25
    Depends how old they are...

    Because people sell them when they are only a year old, at which point they are the same as whats in the refurb store. Once you get to 2 years and 2 updates later it drops again to around 50-60%, Your 2012 is now 3 updates behind seems about right to me...
     

Share This Page