Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kev1234

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Hi guys,

For those who just update it to the new Lion 10.7.2 (11C35) "Developers", do you guys notice the new update of "Launchpad" ? Now the icons looks bigger!!..... wtf !!! It looks pretty bad, at least for me..

Here is a pic:

screenshot20110807at425.png

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Holy crap, I love launchpad to death and think it looks great, but that's just awful.

natd1993

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Great Britain
Hmm, I didn't really notice a difference in the size of the icons when I installed .2 the other day. However, after reading this post, and then playing around with the Dock size, I've noticed that the larger the Dock, the smaller the icons are on LaunchPad. :D In the picture below, notice that my icons aren't nearly as big as the OP's, and the Dock is barely visible.

FYI, I'm on a 13" MBP.

screenshot20110807at221.jpg

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I just opened launchpad and the icons are definitely way bigger than before, while still spanning the same total number of icons per page. On my 27" inch iMac it looks totally ridiculous. Not that I was ever using launchpad before... I mean, I've been using this new dev build for a full day now and just noticed it.

Also, I've just gotta point this out: When has Apple ever made changes to the cosmetics of OS X during an interim update? I thought that all these things ended after GM, and the rest of the releases contain bugfixes and optimizations. Since they're still screwing with the UI, it makes me wonder if even they themselves don't feel launchpad was done properly, so they're tweaking it. Still, this is a step in the wrong direction. It's still very awkward.

Last edited:

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
GM Lion icons in LPad are smaller than the folders you can make with them.. looks as if the sizes are now the same.

Last edited:

mobtek

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
bugger the icons ;)

So have they fixed Kerberos tickets for machines bound to AD?

Cozmo85

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
I just opened launchpad and the icons are definitely way bigger than before, while still spanning the same total number of icons per page. On my 27" inch iMac it looks totally ridiculous. Not that I was ever using launchpad before... I mean, I've been using this new dev build for a full day now and just noticed it.

Also, I've just gotta point this out: When has Apple ever made changes to the cosmetics of OS X during an interim update? I thought that all these things ended after GM, and the rest of the releases contain bugfixes and optimizations. Since they're still screwing with the UI, it makes me wonder if even they themselves don't feel launchpad was done properly, so they're tweaking it. Still, this is a step in the wrong direction. It's still very awkward.

The option to turn off menu bar transparency came in a Leopard update.

o'glory

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2010
Canada
You should allowed to be able to toggle the sizes of the icons in Launchpad.
Because they look really bad when they're too small.

ktula

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2007
What's the sha1 checksum for the 10.7.2 update DMG file? You can find out by entering this command in terminal:

openssl sha1 <full path to the DMG file (you can drag and drop the file into terminal app if you do not know the full path) >

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I'm still rather surprised that Apple is getting so toylike. Launchpad is like a bad child's toy. Gimmicky, cheap looking, but hey, people eat up anything Apple dishes out & rave about it. You've got to give them credit for pulling it off. No one else could.

Lokheed

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
I'm still rather surprised that Apple is getting so toylike. Launchpad is like a bad child's toy. Gimmicky, cheap looking, but hey, people eat up anything Apple dishes out & rave about it. You've got to give them credit for pulling it off. No one else could.

I like it. Moreover, I think it looks quite elegant. For the most part, Apple has always gone to great lengths to design gorgeous icons (inexplicably phoning it in on some like Mission Control, Expose, etc.), why not showcase them? The blurring of the desktop background is also a nice tough.

As long as it's done nicely (Vista wasn't), I'm all for the addition of graphics.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA

And some people just bitch about anything new or different. Just because person A doesn't like it, doesn't mean persons B,C and D should dislike it too. Frankly, Launch Pad works so much better than having folders in the dock or using spot light when you use gestures to manage everything else on the UI, it is clearly an extension of the gensture interface to the UI and extreemly intuative to use.

Frankly I find using keyboad short cuts and the keyboard in general extreemly clunky when using gestures to navigate everything else in the UI. The new UI is sort of a complete set, Mission Control, Launch Pad, new gestures all work together, and when used together they really make for a seemless UI interaction.

Sure I can understand there is a learning curve and adjustment for people with years and years of short cuts built into PC use, but once that shift is made, it is amazing how smooth and easy it works.

j3roen

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2009
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Hd 3000

Does the update solve the sluggish HD 3000 performance? Still holding back the upgrade to Lion. Using latest top model 15" MBP, but the graphic performance is just horrible.

Other MBP I own, 13inch 2009 model works like a charm.

aeaglex07

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2007
United States
Does the update solve the sluggish HD 3000 performance? Still holding back the upgrade to Lion. Using latest top model 15" MBP, but the graphic performance is just horrible.

Other MBP I own, 13inch 2009 model works like a charm.

Likely not drivers. HD 3000 was a horrible choice by Apple.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
What's the sha1 checksum for the 10.7.2 update DMG file? You can find out by entering this command in terminal:

openssl sha1 <full path to the DMG file (you can drag and drop the file into terminal app if you do not know the full path) >

SHA1(os_x_lion_10.7.2_update_11c35.dmg)= d63ecc275f600d2a7a5c5101ce2c16fcba33d7bf
MD5(os_x_lion_10.7.2_update_11c35.dmg)= 37c255d6f9f4aeaed3da4f9749d60c4e

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
And some people just bitch about anything new or different. Just because person A doesn't like it, doesn't mean persons B,C and D should dislike it too. Frankly, Launch Pad works so much better than having folders in the dock or using spot light when you use gestures to manage everything else on the UI, it is clearly an extension of the gensture interface to the UI and extreemly intuative to use.

Frankly I find using keyboad short cuts and the keyboard in general extreemly clunky when using gestures to navigate everything else in the UI. The new UI is sort of a complete set, Mission Control, Launch Pad, new gestures all work together, and when used together they really make for a seemless UI interaction.

Sure I can understand there is a learning curve and adjustment for people with years and years of short cuts built into PC use, but once that shift is made, it is amazing how smooth and easy it works.

There really is no reason to bitch, on either side.

For those who like Launchpad -- great, use it and enjoy! For those who don't -- we still have the Dock, Spotlight, Finder, and open, in addition to fantastic third-party apps like Alfred. ;)

EEXOOO

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Likely not drivers. HD 3000 was a horrible choice by Apple.

My 6490m (although not a powerful GPU) is able to run 1080p smoothly yet struggles with Mission Control. I hope it's due to some software issues and not Apple creating an OS that does not work smoothly with their newest machines.

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I'm getting a real strange bug with this build: when using either Quicklook or Preview to view JPG images, black and white images are displayed as color-inverted. Since this doesn't happen in 10.7.0, I'm guessing it's a graphics rendering screwup.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005

Well that's appropriate, since most Lion users seem to be whining like children over nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.