*Updated 2012 model* Speck Pixelskin HD Wrap for the new iPad: FINAL THOUGHTS

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Vulcan4770, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Vulcan4770, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

Vulcan4770 macrumors member

Vulcan4770

Head on over to metagamers.com for more.
    Here are some better pictures.

https://twitter.com/#!/Vulcan4770/status/188711359482044416/photo/1/large

https://twitter.com/#!/Vulcan4770/status/188711543725236225/photo/1/large

I have updated the post to share my final thoughts on the case.

Now that I have been able to spend some more time using Speck's Pixelskin HD wrap for the new iPad I have a few more things to mention. First let me mention I wanted this case to hold up and be amazing. I also appreciate Speck's unique designs. This is an improvement over their previous design but due to price and a few problems with their features I have some complaints.

Here is my biggest complaint: Speck had months after the release of the new iPad to have their cases ready. Speck has also said on their twitter feed that they wanted to make sure that they had the right fit for the case. However other companies had cases available very soon after release that worked and fit fine.

You would think waiting for their case, would help make it problem free.

- Rolling up the cover as a stand like the smart cover is just ANNOYING. You would have to use it only on a table to get it to work. Since all your doing is rolling it up.

- More debris and fingerprints get stuck between pixels on case.

- The magnet will still put my iPad to sleep and awaken it but when I flip the cover into book mode, it has put it to sleep again (problem).

- Some are reporting that their magnet in their case wont keep the iPad asleep. I haven't had this problem though.

-Due to the material and design of the cover it wont always stay where you want it and sometimes will not want to stay flat.

- The edges of the case will bring up my screen protecter and sometimes start to slip off the edge a little.

- Speck had its cases available at some targets before people could buy it on their website and for cheaper. They ended up charging $49.99 on their website while Target was only $39.99. This frustrated alot of people on twitter along with me because that were patiently waiting for the case. Its harder to recommend the case at $49.99.

Overall

It would be easier to me to recommend this case even with its problems at $39 because its still a nice looking and stylish case, If your going to spend $50 on a case their are more options with more protection and features. Hopefully Speck will address these problems.

*writer/reviewer at Metagamers.com, follow me @vulcan4770*

2. batotman macrumors 6502

3. Vulcan4770 thread starter macrumors member

Vulcan4770

4. Cyacene macrumors member

Well it's down to this or the STM Grip. Which do you prefer? Looking forward to the video review.

5. DaQuickPG macrumors member

I just bought it and returned it. Didnt like how the cover doesnt stay closed on the edges. It flops. It looks bad too. Washed out color

6. glen e macrumors 68030

i would agree. I have one for the ipad2 - too bulky and inflexible....far better cases out there...

7. PittsDriver macrumors 6502a

PittsDriver

8. Vulcan4770 thread starter macrumors member

Vulcan4770

The cover is secure on the new one, I have no problem with it and the color was not washed out. My target only had black but they have other colors coming.

9. DaQuickPG macrumors member

Black, pink and purple. The case on mine said ipad 3rd gen and ipad 2(the picture here just says 3). The magnet didnt work either or i just didnt know how to enable the auto lock, didnt see it show up in settings.

10. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I've been totally looking forward to this case coming out but I'm disappointed with the photos. The case looks dirty and like something spilt on it. Maybe that's just the way the photo came out. I would really be interested in the weight as I like the iPad 2 version except for that it was so heavy. Almost doubled the weight of the iPad. I guess I'll just need to take a trip to the Target store this weekend and check one out.

11. Vulcan4770 thread starter macrumors member

Vulcan4770

When I get home ill take some better pictures.

12. glen e macrumors 68030

it's the same for the ipad2....the disadvantages for me were as follows:
    1. it really did not fold well - the triangle fold you make like the smartcover to prop it up is always fighting you even after broke in.
    2. the big one for me is it was so grippy, it was hard to get in and out of a travel bag like on an airplane - it did not slide easily.
    3. and it was heavy.

13. mushed macrumors member

Are there any discount codes? Only asking because $49.99 (£32) and then $25 (£16) seems a lot of money to spend on a case (£47)!

14. Rachael2050 macrumors newbie

Me too; I'd love this case but there's no UK stockists :(

15. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

So I picked up one of these at my local Target yesterday. They had all 4 colors in. While I really like how the case looks and all, I am having the worst time gettin the cover to stay folded up in its triangle position unless it is on a hard surface. In the lap, forget about it. There is nothing to hold it in place. It also keeps trying to peel up corners on my screen protector,although it goes right back down. I most likely will e d up returning this. If they had made it to where the cover would stay folded up, it would be great, but Speck messed up on how this was made.

16. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I was hoping that the cover in fours would somehow help make this a perfect case. I had the Pixelskin for the iPad 2 on my new iPad and liked it a lot except for the really heavy weight. The added sleep/wake function and clasp would have made the new design an excellent case for me. However, not having a solid and stable typing function would be a deal breaker for me.

Right now my favorite case is the Griffin Intellicase. It is extremely slim and lightweight adding minimal protection but no extra bulk. It also gives me a totally stable typing position with no slipping or sliding. Additionally it doesn't mess with my screen protector. The Pixelskin 2 pulled up the edges pretty good after only one week of usage and the screen protector never has fully recovered.

17. Sixtafoua macrumors 6502

Sixtafoua

I have the old pixelskin HD for the iPad 2, and it works on the new iPad, but it's a little tight because of the slightly thicker design. Have they made the case any looser to fit the new form factor?

18. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Mine is certainly not tight at all so I would guess that they did make it slightly larger.

19. fatpat268 macrumors newbie

I was hoping this was the case for me, but it looks like my fears came true... it's just too heavy.

To be honest, every speck product I've bought or tried felt like it was heavier than it should me. I remember I got a case for my old 13" MBP, and while most people loved it, I hated the added bulk and weight it added.

Same thing with the ipad 2 pixelskin. I saw one on clearance at Target last week. Thought about grabbing one for my mom's ipad 2, but after taking it out of the box, it felt like it was almost as heavy as the ipad itself.

I like Speck's designs, I just wish they used some lighter materials.

20. Vulcan4770 thread starter macrumors member

Vulcan4770

Are you taking about the old or new one? I don't think the new one is heavy at all.

21. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

So did you actually try one of the new ones? Is it any lighter than the pixelskin for the iPad 2? Speck's video said it was going to be much lighter in weight.

22. fatpat268 macrumors newbie

No, but others have already said the new one is heavy again.

I'll still check it out once my Target gets them in stock.

Edit: sorry, I guess what I was reading was that people were complaining about the old one's weight. Sorry, my reading comprehension sucks. Heh.

Hey Vulcan, is there anyway you can weigh the case? I'd like to see how it stacks up in weight compared to the others.

23. Vulcan4770 thread starter macrumors member

Vulcan4770

Unfortunatly no scales near me. It feels great to me.