Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Wonder how they plan on updates? Went and looked at my old neighborhood by LAX which has been 95%+ torn down. The Satellite and Map view are around 1yr+ old. Is Apple basing the Map 3D off of the Satellite view or ...?

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Wonder how they plan on updates? Went and looked at my old neighborhood by LAX which has been 95%+ torn down. The Satellite and Map view are around 1yr+ old. Is Apple basing the Map 3D off of the Satellite view or ...?

I suspect it’s a combo of satellite, aerial sidescan (visible light and Lidar) and their ground units. A simple satellite or directly overhead scan will not yield the necessary 3D perspective to detail height and roof detail.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I suspect it’s a combo of satellite, aerial sidescan (visible light and Lidar) and their ground units. A simple satellite or directly overhead scan will not yield the necessary 3D perspective to detail height and roof detail.

That is why I asked. The Satellite and Map view match. Problem is the buildings are no longer there. Torn down over a year ago.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
That is why I asked. The Satellite and Map view match. Problem is the buildings are no longer there. Torn down over a year ago.
Yeah, I'm not sure how often they update any particular piece of geography. I'm sure for most areas its a several year cycle.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I just encountered something on the 12.2 beta: touching an alternate route while in Navigation overview mode on CarPlay now selects the alternate route. For me, at any rate, that was impossible before now. Touching the alternate route did nothing.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I rented a Mazda today for my drive up to Maine. I’m glad they added CarPlay...but now they need to add a touch screen!!

I kept tapping the screen to try stuff out. Have to turn their stupid dial instead. #lame

Reactions: dk001 and gwhizkids

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
in January we went up to NYC. Maps had issues; mostly getting the correct start location for the morning. Go figure our hotel room was on the 22nd story and had view of the river. You would think all the tall buildings in central park would mess Maps up and yes it did. Actually no tall buildings in the park but still a mess there too.

you would have to stop and re start Maps a lot. after a few resets it made more sense.
it would often fall out of transit walk modes and think your wanted to driving there
you would walk out of a shop onto the sidewalk and Maps was deer in head lights
didnt work in the rain

nice toy
[doublepost=1549728461][/doublepost]
in January we went up to NYC. Maps had issues; mostly getting the correct start location for the morning. Go figure our hotel room was on the 22nd story and had view of the river. You would think all the tall buildings in central park would mess Maps up and yes it did. Actually no tall buildings in the park but still a mess there too.

you would have to stop and re start Maps a lot. after a few resets it made more sense.
it would often fall out of transit walk modes and think your wanted to driving there
you would walk out of a shop onto the sidewalk and Maps was deer in head lights tho it got you to the shop in the 1st place
didnt work in the rain

nice toy

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I rented a Mazda today for my drive up to Maine. I’m glad they added CarPlay...but now they need to add a touch screen!!

I kept tapping the screen to try stuff out. Have to turn their stupid dial instead. #lame

Wow, that's a good advertisement NOT to get a mazda. Carplay without touchscreen is like a bicycle without wheels.

Reactions: MozMan68

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013

you would walk out of a shop onto the sidewalk and Maps was deer in head lights
didnt work in the rain

nice toy
[doublepost=1549728461][/doublepost]
No GPS-enabled service works well in NYC. Not sure which side of town you were on for your river view, but neither faces south to get best GPS lock

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
Wow, that's a good advertisement NOT to get a mazda. Carplay without touchscreen is like a bicycle without wheels.

Perhaps, but Carplay sans touchscreen (when vehicle is in motion, at least) is still better than most manufacturer's factory systems.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky

To be fair, they just added the capability this past fall, so I imagine they have no other choice but to bring it into cars that already had non-touchscreen capability… I have to believe he’ll be adding touchscreen from this point on…

Reactions: gwhizkids

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I use the dial control on my car. I prefer not touching the touchscreen. Fingerprints annoy me.

I imagine I could get used to it, but I found it quite a distraction...not intuitive at all when switching between apps.

The biggest issue Mazda has with this mid period, is that they don’t have (at least in this particular vehicle) a dedicated button for “forward” or “back” for music.

When in Maps mode I had to either turn the dial to go to the music app or press the “music” button to get to that screen...then turn the dial to the “forward” button to skip a song...and then dial or press the map button to go back to Maps.

And if you’re using Waze or Google, map button wont work as it only takes you back to Maps. You must use the dial to get back to guidance when using those other apps.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I imagine I could get used to it, but I found it quite a distraction...not intuitive at all when switching between apps.

The biggest issue Mazda has with this mid period, is that they don’t have (at least in this particular vehicle) a dedicated button for “forward” or “back” for music.

When in Maps mode I had to either turn the dial to go to the music app or press the “music” button to get to that screen...then turn the dial to the “forward” button to skip a song...and then dial or press the map button to go back to Maps.

And if you’re using Waze or Google, map button wont work as it only takes you back to Maps. You must use the dial to get back to guidance when using those other apps.

That sounds so awkward I’m surprised Apple certified it.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
That sounds so awkward I’m surprised Apple certified it.

Well...the buttons default to the Apple apps, so....honestly, the skipping songs thing was a major bummer for me.

Again, Mazda made it so anyone who bought a 2019 model could go back in and add CarPlay for free after they added it a few months back...and, of course, they added it to models not yet sold or still in production as well.

I love what Mazda has done from a design perspective and I’m even looking at their crossovers (gotta have something other than my 2-door for the 125 lb puppy that still has another 40 lbs to go...).

If they don’t add touch screen for the 2020 models this Spring... :(

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Just when I think it will never happen...

I’ve been pretty open (and fair I think) in saying that Google blows Apple away when it comes to POI database. So, was freaked out tonight when Apple won a POI “battle”.

Was walking down the street after work in NYC and passed a chicken place I never heard of...Sticky’s Fingers...I figured I’d try it for dinner. It was pretty damn good.

Went to Google Maps to see where they are in the city...and the one I just got dinner at doesn’t show up on the map...wtf??

Go to Apple Maps...type it in and the one I just went to pops right up as the closest one. Google has no reference of it all.

Score 1 for Apple...(so that makes it 5,324 to Google and 1 to Apple...hah)

a791181ea99780753cbb7a9525980261.jpg

7c4dd10a9c35a5127f5066a657edbd47.jpg

Reactions: permar

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
If the place is really new, it's possible the owner/manager is an Apple fan, and submitted his business info to be added to Apple Maps first? Or maybe Apple was just faster in adding it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.