Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I just realized I got the updated Maps in Ohio on my iPhone today. I was using directions and I noticed it said out loud a useful detail that it had never said before for me on a highway exit I use occassionally. Then, I looked at my phone and realized everything is a lot more green than I had ever seen it. When I got home, I confirmed that Ohio had been added for me. I'm so happy! I live on an urban college campus that has a lot of alleyways and those were never listed on Maps. I'm so glad to finally have them and just have more detail overall. Not only that, directions are obviously more useful too considering that's how I realized I got the update. The update is not available on my MacBook Pro yet though.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Well, as we discussed before, green (no) traffic on Google Maps is “no” traffic on Apple Maps...do, they’re showing the same thing.

And more than half the “points of interest” are private rentals...AirBNB? One of the local recreation areas comes up as well on Apple Maps, but not the campground Google shows.

Apple Maps uses a much different zoom level for POI’s than Google typically.

015fff09403773da29a44f5f3cb36efc.jpg

I do have to say, for an area that doesn’t have new Maps data yet, driving through a city with CarPlay is fun. Very accurate directions, traffic and POI info for my morning in Toronto.

73b7cd6b73eba9280c51e698e1352a24.jpg

4f994a22fd778da58161a2718afe472b.jpg

7b993dff450c0b4bd5d34d184718443a.jpg

c08fcba764bc6dabff419adb8f2b6dec.jpg

80c73617937e7855ec31e95c6ae4308a.jpg

Even going to a closer zoom didn’t help AM.
For me an example that I will play with AM but depend on GM for normal use.
Zoomed AM view ... Still provides minimal poi detail. They’ll get there I hope.
9144B8ED-7068-48AC-8109-1224504BC426.png

Last edited:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Even going to a closer zoom didn’t help AM.
For me an example that I will play with AM but depend on GM for normal use.
Zoomed AM view ... Still provides minimal poi detail. They’ll get there I hope.
View attachment 869444

I’m still confused what you are seeing or trying to see? In the example you give above, this is what I see on Google Maps....just the private rental info on certain houses. No POI’s.

2b60d627bc71ba94e487006a9a711291.png

Oh...and Google's mapping of the road is inorrect which is why houses seem to be sitting on the road. Apple is correct.

Apple Maps at least shows Pugsly’s Trading Post on both of our views. Not sure why Google has no mention of it. But other than that, the views are identical at almost every zoom level for this spot.

81e929ac2271bd8bce51f356d699f6c7.png

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
I’m still confused what you are seeing or trying to see? In the example you give above, this is what I see on Google Maps....just the private rental info on certain houses. No POI’s.

Oh...and Google's mapping of the road is inorrect which is why houses seem to be sitting on the road. Apple is correct.

Apple Maps at least shows Pugsly’s Trading Post on both of our views. Not sure why Google has no mention of it. But other than that, the views are identical at almost every zoom level for this spot.

Here, as close as I could get to scale, is AM vs GM.
E0549E54-C82B-43A1-AF4D-14CFBD40D989.png 99BFFC20-8B0B-4081-8953-6FFD69C6BF5A.png

Take a look at the labeled points. In GM, there are significant labels. In AM, very little.
When visiting small towns, resorts, recreation areas; places I looked at on my trip to Yosemite, and previous recent travels, I found AM to be very limited for anything other than roads. AM does pretty to very good in most bigger cities. Where I have found AM wanting is when it comes to less “major” locations. This is an area I hope AM works on moving forward and a reason why I continue to rely on GM, especially for trips or other such travels. It was an aspect I was hoping to see major updates as the newer maps and map data was rolled out.

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
Where I have found AM wanting is when it comes to less “major” locations.

I live in a county of 8,729 (2017) people. It's probably less than that in 2019.

Apple Maps is about equal to Google Maps here as far as POI, and Apple's probably more accurate. Google does have street view and building outlines, but Apple should offer the outlines part within the next month or so.

I do try to report things here and on Google Maps, with varying degrees of success. There seems to be a few people that actually try to correct information on Google Maps here, while I think I may be the only person to work on Apple Maps corrections.

Reactions: dk001

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Here, as close as I could get to scale, is AM vs GM.
View attachment 869480 View attachment 869481

Take a look at the labeled points. In GM, there are significant labels. In AM, very little.
When visiting small towns, resorts, recreation areas; places I looked at on my trip to Yosemite, and previous recent travels, I found AM to be very limited for anything other than roads. AM does pretty to very good in most bigger cities. Where I have found AM wanting is when it comes to less “major” locations. This is an area I hope AM works on moving forward and a reason why I continue to rely on GM, especially for trips or other such travels. It was an aspect I was hoping to see major updates as the newer maps and map data was rolled out.

Got it...I guess I'm in the camp of viewing those POI's as mostly pointless to the average user...at least more than half of them. Why do I care about houses for rent on a map? Most of the "pinkish" colored POI's are pointless for the average traveller.

Apple shows ALL of the actual "public" POI's (restaurants, lodging, etc.).

The one thing I love on GM in your examples are the picnic/camping areas, but as I've found locally, many of them are off limits are not accessibly and are only listed for information purposes only..like, there wouldn't even be a sign marking them in real life...hah.

Alan Gordon

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2014
Dawson, GA
The one thing I love on GM in your examples are the picnic/camping areas, but as I've found locally, many of them are off limits are not accessibly and are only listed for information purposes only..like, there wouldn't even be a sign marking them in real life...hah

There's an option to add campground sites to Apple Maps. No one in Bass Lake has apparently taken the time to add them.

I added a park near me that is a park in name only. It's essentially a gazebo on a median with a sign on it, but it's shown on both Google and Apple Maps, because I submitted a report on it.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
I live in a county of 8,729 (2017) people. It's probably less than that in 2019.

Apple Maps is about equal to Google Maps here as far as POI, and Apple's probably more accurate. Google does have street view and building outlines, but Apple should offer the outlines part within the next month or so.

I do try to report things here and on Google Maps, with varying degrees of success. There seems to be a few people that actually try to correct information on Google Maps here, while I think I may be the only person to work on Apple Maps corrections.

Awesome. I do report error or major misses. Things like a small town having not much shown I don’t report. Figure Apple hasn’t gotten around to it yet.
[automerge]1571087784[/automerge]
Got it...I guess I'm in the camp of viewing those POI's as mostly pointless to the average user...at least more than half of them. Why do I care about houses for rent on a map? Most of the "pinkish" colored POI's are pointless for the average traveller.

Apple shows ALL of the actual "public" POI's (restaurants, lodging, etc.).

The one thing I love on GM in your examples are the picnic/camping areas, but as I've found locally, many of them are off limits are not accessibly and are only listed for information purposes only..like, there wouldn't even be a sign marking them in real life...hah.

I can see your point. Using this instance, I found I liked the area and wanted to see more detail about it. Many things close the first week of October or change to abbreviated hours. When I pull up a map and the default view shows very little, then I open the other map and see a lot ... impressions.

Side note, I did find a place I am checking out. Prices are not bad. For Cali. ;)

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
There's an option to add campground sites to Apple Maps. No one in Bass Lake has apparently taken the time to add them.

I added a park near me that is a park in name only. It's essentially a gazebo on a median with a sign on it, but it's shown on both Google and Apple Maps, because I submitted a report on it.

Where is that at? I only see Business or Landmark, Street or Address, and Other ...

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
An add suggestion / recommendation item. Thought it might be something different.
Thanks!

I like to say this every 20 pages or so...if they would just add a universal web version with reporting capabilities, I'd be submiting new POI's and corrections all day long. I only do it on my phone when the correction or addition affects me directly in the moment.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I’m going back to work tomorrow night for the first time in nearly three weeks. So I’ll get to drive into Manhattan (and experience different routes) for the first time with the new maps. Went to visit a friend in the Bronx today.

EB831149-7F38-4235-AF06-0D399EF19B2F.png

0CD4A1CE-F466-4002-A69B-DCF8160B806B.png

9D1E7B07-B758-4DD2-A42C-4DE81DCB6883.png

I read a report somewhere that the new Apple Maps seems to have been designed with much bigger car screens in mind, especially ultra-wide screens, which are becoming more commonplace. I can see this as being true. It really feels to me like the new maps is not quite as “optimized” for my fairly large screen as it used to be on iOS 12.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I read a report somewhere that the new Apple Maps seems to have been designed with much bigger car screens in mind, especially ultra-wide screens, which are becoming more commonplace. I can see this as being true. It really feels to me like the new maps is not quite as “optimized” for my fairly large screen as it used to be on iOS 12.

I'm not sure it was optimized as much as they HAD to go to a set ratio (50/50 split) on screen division for dashboard view which then also slightly changed the set ratio size of the info boxes. This means that a widescreen obviously gets to see more of the map while the info boxes stay the same size and pushed off to the edge.

As you can see in your pics, on a more standard 5:4 screen, the boxes almost take up the whole left side giving you only half the screen for routing area of the map. It hasn't bothered me on my screens that much as I find the information box much easier to read at a glance. I think that also addresses the fact that some people like the visual representation (particularly in a dense city) while others are fine with the "written" directions guiding them more.

But, adding the stop sign/traffic light logic? Whoa...that then brings the audible directions part to a whole new level...the trifecta!

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I like to say this every 20 pages or so...if they would just add a universal web version with reporting capabilities, I'd be submiting new POI's and corrections all day long. I only do it on my phone when the correction or addition affects me directly in the moment.

I think you answered your own question!

Reactions: MozMan68

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I think you answered your own question!

Hah...seriously though. I'd be clicking way on my huge screen that I'm looking at right now...adding better categories for POI's, entrances, adding parks and camping sites...I actually enjoy doing that stuff and used to spend hours on Waze updating my local area or places I was visiting for work.

But doing it on my phone? Nah.

Maybe I need to get that iPad Pro I've been eyeing.....

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Hah...seriously though. I'd be clicking way on my huge screen that I'm looking at right now...adding better categories for POI's, entrances, adding parks and camping sites...I actually enjoy doing that stuff and used to spend hours on Waze updating my local area or places I was visiting for work.

But doing it on my phone? Nah.

Maybe I need to get that iPad Pro I've been eyeing.....
can you not do it in the Maps app on macOS?

tylert120

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2014
Penn Hills, PA
Hi everyone...new here. But I’m a huge GIS and mapping person, and probably have submitted thousands of error reports to the Maps team since it’s inception. I was excited for the revamped Maps, and it finally came to the Pittsburgh area several weeks ago. Though my observations though, it’s not all it’s chalked up to be. Over all the maps are better, but I think they need more improvement. They took certain detail away that needs to be brought back.
cemetery
This local cemetery is no longer shaded in gray, like cemeteries are supposed to be.

shopping centers
These two shopping centers have lost their yellow shading.

library / high school
Certain POIs have moved. For example, the library and high school POIs have completely been moved away from the building. They were previously correct. I have since reported them and Apple fixed these issues.

roads before / roads after
Before/after screen shot. Notice many of the main roads lost their yellow or bold shading. This makes roads hard to identify unless you are zoomed in very far. This is one of my biggest issues with the new maps.

Reactions: MozMan68 and dk001

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Hi everyone...new here. But I’m a huge GIS and mapping person, and probably have submitted thousands of error reports to the Maps team since it’s inception. I was excited for the revamped Maps, and it finally came to the Pittsburgh area several weeks ago. Though my observations though, it’s not all it’s chalked up to be. Over all the maps are better, but I think they need more improvement. They took certain detail away that needs to be brought back.
cemetery
This local cemetery is no longer shaded in gray, like cemeteries are supposed to be.

shopping centers
These two shopping centers have lost their yellow shading.

library / high school
Certain POIs have moved. For example, the library and high school POIs have completely been moved away from the building. They were previously correct. I have since reported them and Apple fixed these issues.

roads before / roads after
Before/after screen shot. Notice many of the main roads lost their yellow or bold shading. This makes roads hard to identify unless you are zoomed in very far. This is one of my biggest issues with the new maps.

Thanks for coming over from Reddit....should I post my response? Hah.

Here you go...some good observations on his part. Not sure I would notice many of them from casual use, but does look like Apple is missing some stuff.

Checked out some of your observations in the new map area around Baltimore for comparison.

Cemetery - All but one were grey...I couldn't determine why the green one was that way, but the fact that it is a POI "area" among other grassy areas leads me to believe that this is human error and simply needs to be noted as a correction. There's nothing really from a satellite view that determines which area is actually part of the cemetery, so either Apple needs to manually designate that or the owner of the cemetery does if it is private.

Shopping Centers - I would say this is the same as the issue with the cemeteries. All the ones I checked around Baltimore had the yellow shading around grey buildings.

Library/High School -- Seems like a limited issue for that particular area. Every school and library I checked was on the correct building or in the case of a university, located at what would be the main area of campus

Roads - This was noted over a year ago when the first updated Maps area was released in Northern CA. Apple changed the classification of roads via thickness as well as color based on their own driving data and which ones were truly side streets, main roads, highways, etc.

Reactions: tylert120

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I’m running the 13.2 beta, but I want to check this first before I send a feedback report (may be intentional and not a bug).

In areas with the new Maps, and having your phone in dark mode...when using turn-by-turn, does your map go from dark mode to light mode as soon as you start turn-by-turn? If not...I’ll send a bug report. It if this is happening to on non-beta software, I’ll just assume this is intentional. Seems more like a bug though, so I’ll get a report ready, just in case.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I’m running the 13.2 beta, but I want to check this first before I send a feedback report (may be intentional and not a bug).

In areas with the new Maps, and having your phone in dark mode...when using turn-by-turn, does your map go from dark mode to light mode as soon as you start turn-by-turn? If not...I’ll send a bug report. It if this is happening to on non-beta software, I’ll just assume this is intentional. Seems more like a bug though, so I’ll get a report ready, just in case.

Whoa...I noticed that last night when I was driving home. I had to switch to Waze because it was too bright (was a dark and stormy drive). I'd say it was a bug. I swear it went into dark mode on the drive to my destination 90 minutes earlier. For the life of me, couldn't get it to go into dark mode on the drive home.

Reactions: iOS Geek
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.