Updated bought 2008 macbook pro having ISSUES HELP ME

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marshallbedsaul, Dec 5, 2010.

1. marshallbedsaul, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010

marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

Hello,
    My friend is offering me his 2008 macbook pro for 650 should I do it here are the specs
    Model Family: MacBook Pro
    Display: 15"
    Processor Type: 2.6GHz Core 2 Duo
    Model Number: A1260
    Color: Aluminum
    Factory: China
    Production Year: 2008
    Production Week: 22 (May)
    Production Number: 774
    200 gb hd
    4gb of ram

also apple care til jun 11

OK so I bought the computer for 650 from my friend and soon after buying found a problem. The problem was the optical drive not reading all the disc that I put in the system. So I took the macbook pro to apple they installed a new super drive. I get home today and try to install snow leopard and have a issue. The way I went about was starting up holding the option button and waiting to boot from the disc for a fresh install. First time I tried I got a symbol that look like the restricted sign you see when you cant smoke in a area ect... So I restart and try again this time I get to the install screen click does the estimation ect.. 34 minutes than goes to 28 minutes pretty much has frozen there now, and after waiting all this time about 20 minutes I get the spinning beach ball. Also forgot to say that the super drive is now super dooper annoying loud and make odd sounds too with vibration. So I guess make another apple gen bar apt? And have them possible replace the super drive again?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/8B117)

Sounds like a good deal as long as it works and is in good condition.

3. marshallbedsaul thread starter macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

it fully works and it has apple care till the summer

4. marshallbedsaul thread starter macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/8B117)

I think so, check with Apple or other forum members.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

applecare follows the machine, not the original purchaser

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't really buy anything used, but it doesn't sound like a bad deal considering you have AppleCare protection plan to back you up until next summer if anything goes bad. Is that the original warranty or did he already extend it?

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

A nice deal, especially if the machine has some software on it, as I presume it does.

Applecare is easily transferable, though your seller will have to initiate the transfer. I am assuming the machine is in good condition: no dents or other issues that could cause Apple to decline coverage. If it is in good shape, you're assured a nice situation. Since your machine is covered 'through June, pay special attention to the battery, hard disk, keyboard and LCD backlight starting around May, and bring any issues to Apple's attention before the warranty expires. (Batteries are covered if they diagnose as faulted, not if they just wear out with normal usage. Check the battery in the Power section of System Profiler, and if the health is anything other than "normal," bring it to Apple's attention.)

I've bought a used MacBook Pro before in a very similar circumstance and it worked out really well.

9. Macmel macrumors 6502

AppleCare does not need transfer. All they need is the serial number of the computer to check coverage.
    A 2+ year old battery is not going to be replaced. I have an early 2008 MBP and my battery went bad a few months ago and they said it was normal. Had to buy a new one.

10. marshallbedsaul thread starter macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

ok so I bought the macbook pro:eek:
    and the only issue I am having is trying to install os x 10.6.3
    currently it has 10.5.8
    I restarted the computer put in the disc and it tried to read it and spit it back out is this normal"?

11. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Where did you get the Snow Leopard disc, if it's an Install Disk from another friend it won't work you need to spend $29 and buy the Snow Leopard upgrade DVD. If you shop a little you may even save a couple of dollars.

12. marshallbedsaul thread starter macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I currently have that disc new leopard
    I tried to put a regular cd in as well the pro just spit it back out
    I guess make a apple apt?

13. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Do other CD's or DVDs work OK in the machine? Just trying to eliminate whether its the media or the Superdrive.

14. marshallbedsaul thread starter macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

leopard 10.6.3 didnt work
    regular cd didnt work
    regular dvd didnt work

I am not mad it was a good deal see the same computer on ebay for almost 1000
    so i made a app gens bar apt.

15. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Dude should had told you about the superdrive not working.

16. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

That's a low blow from a friend selling you the mbp without telling you the superdrive was bad.

17. marshallbedsaul thread starter macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

ok went to apple today they tested the system everything was fun except for the battery 710 cycles last over an hour.
    Every disc the gen put in worked just fine. I must of had scuffed up disc or unreadable idk.
    But with my Snow leopard disc I still am having issues. Do you think its because I have already installed it on 2 other macs that its no longer working on my new macbook? Should I take it to the apple store and say its not working and just get a brand new one.

18. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I doubt that is the problem but what you are doing is violating the license agreement and stealing. You may want to read the SLA so you're more aware.

19. marshallbedsaul thread starter macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

oh crappy I didnt know that at all I figured you buy it and can use it on the macbook you own. I have installed it on my black macbook and white macbook and tried with my pro. So I guess I will by another disc.

20. marshallbedsaul thread starter macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

ok I went to apple and first time guys said was fine made another apt cause a key was loose and asked the guy about my super drive and he said it needed replaced. So I had it replaced took around 2 days pretty awesome. Now I just got home popped in my snow leopard disc and hit option to do a fresh install during restart and the thing read the disc its super super load. And I get a symbol on the screen that look like the NO symbol circle with line half way through it.

So is that normal the crazy sound and start up of the spinning disc?
    and the no symbol ?

21. marshallbedsaul thread starter macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

The replacement they gave me
    HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N:

Capacity: 8.1 GB (8,101,199,872 bytes)
    Model: HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N
    Revision: AP12
    Serial Number: KZ08AS94919
    Removable Media: Yes
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk1
    Protocol: ATAPI
    Unit Number: 0
    Socket Type: Internal
    Low Power Polling: Yes
    Power Off: Yes
    Partition Map Type: APM (Apple Partition Map)
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
    Volumes:

22. hcho3 macrumors 68030

650 is not a bad deal, but it is not a good deal, either. I would not get it, though

23. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

This all sound like too much work for a used computer and you paid 650? What kind of friend is this?:confused:

I think you should get your money back and get a new one online at macconnection or somewhere. Just too much issues, one after another.:(

24. marshallbedsaul thread starter macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

That may be true also I have seen this macbook go on ebay for 900+ dollars with out applecare. So I dont see it as to much work to get things fixed under warranty.