Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whoseanthony

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2018
Always purchased my iPhones and iPads from apple or Best Buy but in wifi configs. This version I went with a cellular model. I purchased through my AT&T account and after purchasing I noticed the price was $50 more expensive than the same model at Apple.com.

Best Buy and Verizon both had the same $50 premium on cellular models. Is this common?

Called AT&T and they told me nothing they could do but cancel my order and I order from Apple (which would kick my order back 2 weeks vs delivery day from AT&T)

I did just get $120 worth of activation fees waved from iPhone xs upgrades for the fam so I guess still coming out ahead but what gives??

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
That's weird. Verizon website (viewed from California) shows same price as Apple MSRP. Same goes for AT&T and Verizon models thru Best Buy (I didn't check AT&T website).

Verizon thru Best Buy is actually $100 off with installment plan promo and $200 off with 2-year contract.

Do note, cellular is a $150 upcharge over same capacity in wifi, not just $100.

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Always purchased my iPhones and iPads from apple or Best Buy but in wifi configs. This version I went with a cellular model. I purchased through my AT&T account and after purchasing I noticed the price was $50 more expensive than the same model at Apple.com.

Best Buy and Verizon both had the same $50 premium on cellular models. Is this common?

Called AT&T and they told me nothing they could do but cancel my order and I order from Apple (which would kick my order back 2 weeks vs delivery day from AT&T)

I did just get $120 worth of activation fees waved from iPhone xs upgrades for the fam so I guess still coming out ahead but what gives??
Sorry, but I don’t see what you’re talking about. The prices for a cellular version on Apple.com are the same as on AT&T.com for all sizes. If you look at the Verizon site, the price is also the same, but if you add one to a cart, the price lowers $50, with a two year contract, than the Apple site. The carrier sites have the benefit of purchasing on an installment plan that’s interest free as long as you include a data plan.

Reactions: Proteinaceous

whoseanthony

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2018
Sorry, but I don’t see what you’re talking about. The prices for a cellular version on Apple.com are the same as on AT&T.com for all sizes. If you look at the Verizon site, the price is also the same, but if you add one to a cart, the price lowers $50, with a two year contract, than the Apple site. The carrier sites have the benefit of purchasing on an installment plan that’s interest free as long as you include a data plan.
So I went back to look....here is something interesting. The app on iOS and apple.com on SAFARI shows $1299 but using a Chrome browser it comes up $1249 for the same config??

Yes this is apple us
https://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-pro/11-inch-display-512gb-space-gray-wifi-cellular

Attachments

• Image 11-3-18 at 8.32 AM.jpg
    Image 11-3-18 at 8.32 AM.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 146

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007

it's this totally asinine and offensive thing they do if you don't buy a cell contract with them "because they don't make money on the device itself"

I was a Best Buy customer for decades and was a member of their elite high level whatever loyalty program. Two years ago I pre ordered from them and they tried to charge more- never bought a thing from them again.

Also - FWIW- now that Apple has raised it's prices nothing is out of stock there or at other retailers so no need to pay the higher prices at Best Buy. I bet they lost a lot of customers because of that policy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.