Updated iMac and eMac in April?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
ThinkSecret reports that Apple will be bringing updates to both the iMac and eMac line in April.

The iMac, code-named Q45 C/D, is expected to come in at 2GHz but with few other changes.

A faster eMac upgrade is also expected with speed bumps possibly up to 1.5GHz, and video upgrades. The eMac's future has been in question with the recent release of the Mac Mini. Some reports had indicated that the eMac was being phased out, but apparently may not be the case.

aranhamo

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2004
Finally!

Finally somebody publishes a rumor! Now I have some time frame to look forward to.

plastique45

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2005
narco said:
How about lower iMac prices, and discontinue the eMac all together.

Fishes,
narco.

I agree 100%, but unfortunately, LCD prices are still to high for them to do that.

From 1.8 to 2Ghz? Hum, ok... But get rid of the FX5200 and put a 128 mb 9600XT as entry level card and give buyers the option to pay more for a 9800 256MB in high end model(s). Now make that rumor of 512MB of default ram in all desktops true and you'll have a heck of a great machine in your hands for the price!

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Keeping eMacs!!!

Thank the lord!!! I'm so glad that Apple has decided to update the eMac to a 1.5GHz G4 and a better graphics card!! Dropping it would be dumb because there would be no middle computer!!! Also, a 2GHz iMac!!! Very nice but DON'T keep the nVidia FX 5200 in that computer!!! Put it in the eMac and put a FX 5600 Ultra or something similar in the iMac with 128MB of graphic memory.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Well i think apple is in some truoble if they dont update the PM. The iMacs will be blazing and close to the PM range. If they can fit a 2GHz iMacs then a Powerbook cant be to far behind can it? (ps dont meen to sound like im complaining.) This should be interesting to see where the eMacs go

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I really think they gotta keep the eMac around specfically for the education market. I mean let's face it, a eMac is gonna hold up alot better in a classroom full of grade 3-4 students than an iMac will.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Any news on the iBooks...? :p

I think it's great if they keep the eMacs, along with the Mac minis and iBooks they make a great low end line-up... and for people with deskspace who care less about style the eMacs are great (and virtually unstealable) machines...

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
ryannel2003 said:
Thank the lord!!! I'm so glad that Apple has decided to update the eMac to a 1.5GHz G4 and a better graphics card!! Dropping it would be dumb because there would be no middle computer!!! Also, a 2GHz iMac!!! Very nice but DON'T keep the nVidia FX 5200 in that computer!!! Put it in the eMac and put a FX 5600 Ultra or something similar in the iMac with 128MB of graphic memory.
I would like to see options on the graphics cards for the iMacs. 256 seems unlikely, to me. But at least the option of a 128 should be mandatory.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I think this is great news.

The iMac will really scream now at the top end, and I like the position the eMac fills in the line up (between $500 and $1000).

Anyone know if it will be possible to put one of those 8x superdrives in a Rev A iMac G5? Can you even get the part? I know I would be very interested in doing this (and I know I can go external, but I'd rather not).

Sargiel

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2005
West Sussex, England
Great to see that the eMac will remain with us !! :D I've been holding off of buying a mac mini while waiting to see what happens to the sturdy eMac - and given the rumoured upgrades it looks like I'll be plumbing for the latter when it arrives.

Lots of great news today.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
New iMacs alongside Tiger seems plausible. I'm not so sure about the eMac, though. If Apple keeps the eMac, it might only be available for educational customers. Otherwise, it wouldn't make sense to remove eMacs from Apple Store's kids' section. But I wouldn't be surprised if Apple drops the eMac (at least the current form factor) completely.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
It's certainly about time that the eMac is updated. Just wonder what the changes will be like on the iMac, can't imagine that it would be much more than a sped boost.

nek

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2003
Canada
plastique45 said:
From 1.8 to 2Ghz? Hum, ok... But get rid of the FX5200 and put a 128 mb 9600XT as entry level card and give buyers the option to pay more for a 9800 256MB in high end model(s). Now make that rumor of 512MB of default ram in all desktops true and you'll have a heck of a great machine in your hands for the price!
Yeah the 200MHz bump is expected, but unless they also improve the graphics and increase default RAM to 512, they are making a mistake. And the ability to choose better graphics at the time of purchase is also a necessary change.

I'd like to see the X700 Pro as an option, since its slightly better than the 9800XT. I think its only PCIe, but so was the X800 until ATI released it for the Mac.

joeswinehart

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2002
central oregon usa
stock RAM upgrade, too?

Might the RAM get boosted to 512 to accomodate Tiger? I know the word was an across-the-board increase in June, but would they ship new iMacs with 256 and Tiger? Seems awkward. I'm looking to add a G5 iMac to the mix, so hopefully this update will be just what I need...

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
Inland Empire
I'm hoping for an updated graphics card as well. That's the main reason I held off from buying a Rev A, and it would be slightly disappointing to have waited six months for little more than a minor speed bump. As for Tiger pre-installed -- well, I can buy Tiger separately; upgrading the GPU isn't so simple.

I plan to have this iMac as my primary computer for several years, and I can't help but feel the existing 5200FX would be severely limiting the longevity of the computer from the outset. I still haven't got the bitter taste out of my mouth after discovering that my two-month-old iBook wasn't equipped to handle Quartz Extreme and the related video effects like the much-flaunted user-switching "cube." With the advances (and hardware demands) that Tiger is expected to make after its release, the 5200FX will be doomed to rapid obsolescence.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
AL-FAMOUS said:
are you lot mad??

all this talk of x700s and 256mb 9800s

they still have 5200s in all but there top of the range powermac (and even thats got a 9600)

come on guys, get real please
true, but the apple store allows users to upgrade - letting iMac users do the same would be great. i can see it happening for the 20" iMac only though...as another incentive for people to buy it.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I'll be glad if eMacs stay around a bit longer. The eMac still makes sense for classrooms. Apple can push consumers to switch to LCDs, but schools will be slow to follow. Eventually, protected LCD screens might survive in a K-12 environment, but that's not the hardware of choice yet.

By the way, I think "Q45" is an excellent choice of name. Let's go with that name for the retail release too!

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
Ambrose Chapel said:
true, but the apple store allows users to upgrade - letting iMac users do the same would be great. i can see it happening for the 20" iMac only though...as another incentive for people to buy it.
only on pro lines though - dont get me wrong im all for it - but the talk of x700s and 9800xt ;)

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Mac mini and a generic PC monitor makes more financial sense than Apple trying to keep updating a dying eMac line.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
AL-FAMOUS said:
are you lot mad??

all this talk of x700s and 256mb 9800s

they still have 5200s in all but there top of the range powermac (and even thats got a 9600)

come on guys, get real please
Ha ha, "getting real" is not really a strong suit of this crowd, I'm afraid.

I agree though that Apple should have BTO options for the graphics card. I doubt there is much overlap among people who buy iMacs and Power Macs. They're totally different beasts. Apple should let people accessorize and max out their iMacs to their hearts' content.

It'd be awesome if the new iMacs come with Tiger. I'm thinking of picking up the low-end one for my Mom (it'd be her first computer).