Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
It seem to work on 320m with 10.9.4 on my 13" 2010 MacBook Pro.
I installed Cuda as well and J can run CUDA-Z and have the GPU perform CUDA calculation so I would say yes it can.

Would the driver simply revert to the default OS X version in the next update? If I read between this thread's lines correctly that sounds about right...

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
It seem to work on 320m with 10.9.4 on my 13" 2010 MacBook Pro.
I installed Cuda as well and J can run CUDA-Z and have the GPU perform CUDA calculation so I would say yes it can.

It seems to be running fine both CUDA and the nVidia driver. Thank you. Scrolling now seems to be smoother on my 320M.

Cardsnk

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Most of us as well I think... Its an old release that was not updated at the same time that the driver was.
I have the error message on 2 MacBook Pro, my Mac Pro and my hackintosh...

is this happening with your rMBP with the latest version of Cuda (6.0.51) and Nvidia GT650?

EvilMonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Would the driver simply revert to the default OS X version in the next update? If I read between this thread's lines correctly that sounds about right...

Yup you're right!

----------

is this happening with your rMBP with the latest version of Cuda (6.0.51) and Nvidia GT650?

Yes it is... I don't know why, its happening on all my computers... Mac Pro as well with the official driver...

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
So @ this time, would you suggest holding off? I'm a bit confused now, saw the nVidia dialog popup suggesting the 6.0.51 update, Googled 'safety' on a MBP, found your thread. I'm using several, but two I'd like to immediately update. A pair of 2012 15" rMBPs.

I don't 'care' if the dialog box shows an update is necessary, as long as you're machine (an mine) are running stable, CUDA isn't having issues (I'm a heavy CC user) ...and last, I'm assuming my 'best' option is to D/L from your link, not the direct from the nVidia control panel front end?

Thanks, sorry I'm a few days late. Kinda bummed I wasn't able to turn my laptop on for the past week!! I've actually 'missed' it. Weird. Thirty years, never felt like that about a computer;)

J

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
So since 10.10 is not an option, would these run on 10.9.5 beta? or can they be modded to do so too? thanks!

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
Hi,
I installed the latest cuba drivers from the nvidia site for my late 2012 27" iMac which has gtx660m 512mb, the cuba version is 6.0.54 so that means i already have the latest nvidia drivers on my gtx660m or i am still on the old outdated drivers, should i download your updated drivers or do i already have them cause i got the latest Cuba version? This is mentioned in my system preferences for my vidoecard- ROM Revision: 3707
Appreciate you helping us getting the latest drivers.

Thanks..

UPDATE-
I just installed the modified drivers & all i can say THANK YOU so much:D
i did a compare in cinebench & the OpenGL results are higher abit by 1.5- 2fps on my iMac also Tomb Raider seems to run much much better now with these drivers, wonder why apple doesn't update their driver frequently, Thanks again EVILMONK its members like you that make the Mac community rock :apple:

Last edited:

Cardsnk

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
CUDA updated to 6.0.54, update with system preferences pane of Cuda, Nvidia Mac Archives website is still on 6.0.51, now the web driver shows no errors on my rMBP.

Attachments

• Screen Shot.png
    Screen Shot.png
    270.6 KB · Views: 169

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
CUDA updated to 6.0.54, update with system preferences pane of Cuda, Nvidia Mac Archives website is still on 6.0.51, now the web driver shows no errors on my rMBP.

Did you initially install from nVidias 'panel' in sysprefs or from the OP? I'm considering the update on my '12 15" rMBP (650m) like the OP. We've got the just updated but essentially the same '13 update, just with the base RAM, without cost, I splurged the five Cs for the TB PCIe SSD. Damn, these machines are rockets. We took delivery of the new MP in March as a CTO & as a replacement/supplement to an 08 MP tower, 3.0GHz octa core and 2010, the second to last tower that still does a helluva Job when we need the speed, it's a hex. That said, the two rMBPs tend to run circles around my 8 & 10 MP towers, obviously because of the speed of storage, updated 'guts' and IO, as well as the option of thunderbolt to my dock, slick as hell. I'm a bit nervous as I love in AEfx, Premier, C4D, DaVinci and FCPx. While FCPx is obviously optimized for these rigs, I understand the incredible speed ...but more amazing IMHO is running the CC suite with CUDA ...with the nearly GB/s read/write speeds and a dedicated 700 for calculations, essentially eradicating the 'need to render'. With faster memory but limited to 16GB in the rMBP, AE can only do so much with your frames before limiting out, then paging. That said. Paging small files that quick while a sixth the speed or bandwidth ...less? Than the RAM itself, I've had a very enjoyable experience ..for the first time on a laptop in the field doing edits, quick titling, animation or multi cam live switching ...transcoding, encoding, decoding audio or motion is phenomenally quick and when AE runs outta RAM, seemingly the paging is fairly quick as OSx clears the unnecessary frames from the buffer as these do need rendering ...obviously

Premier, FCPx not at all. With CUDA. it's amaxing to me. Having a desktop powered 4 pound package at the foothills of Denali with a days worth of battery power, ½ that with the 6/750 but there's plenty of backup and powered rigs we've for field recharge. Point is to this ridiculously long explanation, my near three decade business has drastically changed over the past decade. iPads, iPhones, iMacs and rMBPs (I was a die hard 17" fan, still have the final 2;5, late '11 release I believe ...but the rMBP is like a different computer entirely. Wicked quick, awesome expansion and I work the Win7 partition for some of our CAD staging and rigging drafts, and the nVidia seems to hold its own! Not to be confused at all with the new MP. Looking forward to V2. These are machines that have literally cut our time in ½ while rendering or finalizing video, audio recordings and the CC Suite @ 50/month ( for the 'ultimate suite' ; web, production, and design/PDF management and other tools I never thought I'd use!).

Damn long time, what to do? I'm happy now, even happier if tomorrow we're 10-15% more efficient! Try it on all. Can't hurt. Not instabilities or 'negative' reactions to creative types? If you're animating, creating music, manipulation of video or final color correction, AE Pr or FCPx users, any challenges?

Lastly IS there a noticeable improvement in this type of 'work' or slight, maybe saving a minute every sixty to chew through the ones n zeros? Is there an actual, sanctioned and 'working' nVidia driver that's working for anyone (regardless of error, and assuming it's showing the 'current version' as the one you're currently 'on' or a .0x difference. I'm on the iPad but I believe my '12 is 3.xx.xxx or along those lines with the 4.x.x option in the CP. BUT our OP seems to know the details so I'm confident. Unfortunately don't want to get too cocky, I've still got to pay the mortgage :)

Thanks for your insight and sharing the information. Very much appreciates. Need a 'PayPal' tip jar bud. I'm sure most of us are willing to throw a few bucks your way for your guidance and skillset;)

Thanks for the heads up, wondering why the global site is not updating their mac driver :confused:, still, the UK site driver works with the mod.

Cool, I'm not the only one still curious. Is the UK site's driver compatible world wide? USA for me, but ispm curious, as I often fly to japan, is it something that screws with location and/or your GPU? In the sense graphical sites look screwy, UI messing up ...as well, multi monitor support on the latest revision (I bought the mid 14--- but it's the same as last Octobers. Graphically anyway. A TB of solidstate flash storage is really cool too, it was my treat. 27 year smoker/chewer. Did the 'reward thing' saving the ten or twenty a day I was spending and with a smoking wife, we've kicked now 18 months ago. @ 12 months we divided in half and went our own ways. Ended up saving $565-610/month. Ultimately ending up with just shy of $6800. Instead of monthly I wanted to 'prove' after 25 years, it would 'stick'. Amaxing how much that crap costs. Anyone under 25, and smoking or dipping, drop it ASAP. You'll love yourself when you're 45 (getting close, I'm 43), I know I'd go back in time and kick my 20 year old ass if possible. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Tl/dr--- business revolutionized. rMBP is hands down the BEST laptop built by anyone at anytime in history (I'm privy to the 15). The new MP, exactly the same. You could load damn near six under the desk using the same 'area' as my older Towers. Love the iMacs. They're awesome for weddings, reunions and corporate parties. But when it comes to my 'day job', the rMBP and new MP are genius. Thirty years of computing ...two years post purchase I'm ready. My '12 rMBP with AppleCare is used everyday, at least 10-12 hours. And has since I bought it, November 2012.

And this is only gen 2 and 1 respectively. Look at the difference in four years with the iPad. Three years from now, the fourth or fifth gen MPs will be out, reined and a big seller soon. It's absolutely gorgeous (& portable! We ran ?Seether, Tesla, Three Days Grace, and several other live shows these past 11 days. 7 rigs setup across the fairgrounds. The main EAW rig was both the large and small stages). 4,000 and 1900 capacities for each. Various other cross fair sertups as well. Ran most of the small stages via iPad and the new Mackie wireless consoles. SoundCraft at the main stage but again, talk about revolutionary. RTA, phhhn. Walk around the arena. Sit down, EQ, delay, compress or increase the kick drum gain. Unbelievable.

Lol, tl/dr. I ran the entire 17 day fair with others like FloRida. He bought me a new monitor. Told him to quit spitting on it. Fourth time I came out from backline mintoring as he was breaking and told him ...one more time dude. He did. $2679 later, he doesn't like me. Oh. Well. The Macs did. All seven stages. Sound. Lighting (DMX) and speaker control all run through the iMacs and rMBPs (music and lighting respectively). The LAST thing that can happen is having Chelsea ?Handler on stage and blow the source because I was dįckįng with my GPU! Don't get me wrong. I've definitely got faith in the OP but I've GOT to be sure give run into no stability programs. Creative specifically.

Serato, Traktor, dJay (I ain't judging. I love the last. And it's 5% the cost. That said, should I anticipate challenges bumps or instabilities uodating the GPUs. My iMacs are all 2011s. So I can access and replace my HDD or SSDs as the I continue to fall. Harder to spill a beer from that drunk 'requestee' at an event. Up higher than the laptop.

Sorry to ramble but this is killing me. That said, I feed, clothe, heat and pay the mortgage with these on the 'front' end. Doesn't matter if there's 900 large post 'hook' up. Always use a USB sound card in these situations. Cheap, bullet proof and excellent sounding is the Benringer UC202 (sp?). $30-35. In and out RCA jacks. Digital toslink (either direction) and a decent phono preamp/headphone jack. About the some of a deck of cards. Half the weight and so much better than using the headphone jok...I mean jack;)

Looking forward to next week. This fall and gen 2 MPs, gen 3 rMBPs will probably not pop until the broadwell Intel debacle ends and at that point, I'll be intrigues to see what happens with the steady 'equivalence' in horsepower with the iGPUs. I don't want to lose my CUDA discreet card though. Hopefully an option for a pr card, like a Quadro 5100, 4/3/2/1100m (I know @ 100watts the 51 is t going to work, but the 2100/3100 should be doable .... or FirePro choices (Adobe, are ya list sing? Life is t just 'CUDA' ...down the road as I could five a flying fart about gaming. Too old. Too boring and more than my single button/joystick, I've not the dexterity to play:)

Gonna be a fun Couple of months :)

PS, if anyone made it this far, stability is the questions and apps that are having issues or problems with the updated GPU. Many thanks

J

Last edited:

zoneee

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Hello, i just registered to give some feedback.

Installation went smooth, for the ones wondering it adds a new control panel item which let you select which driver to use (previous reboot after the change).

I have a late 2013 rMBP 16 Gb 512 Gb 750m GPU

I tried to run a game, League of Legends, and i noticed an average increase of 10 FPS, 1080p. I will report again after playing a couple of games and see if the stuttering with many things happening together got actually better.

So for now THANK YOU!

I hope that author will release an update for 10.9.5 which should come TOMORROW (according to rumors ;) ) and for Yosemite, as as far as I've read 10.10 does NOT include new drivers (shame on apple).

Last edited:

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
Hello, i just registered to give some feedback.

Installation went smooth, for the ones wondering it adds a new control panel item which let you select which driver to use (previous reboot after the change).

I have a late 2013 rMBP 16 Gb 512 Gb 750m GPU

I tried to run a game, League of Legends, and i noticed an average increase of 10 FPS, 1080p. I will report again after playing a couple of games and see if the stuttering with many things happening together got actually better.

So for now THANK YOU!

I hope that author will release an update for 10.9.5 which should come TOMORROW (according to rumors ;) ) and for Yosemite, as as far as I've read 10.10 does NOT include new drivers (shame on apple).

yes there is an improvement even on my iMac, hope the author makes it for the 10.9.5 update :)

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
10.9.5 just dropped, and as predicted by OP the driver simply reverted back and gave me an error saying it was not compatible with my current OS version.

zoneee

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
10.9.5 just dropped, and as predicted by OP the driver simply reverted back and gave me an error saying it was not compatible with my current OS version.

I guess we will have to wait for the new modified version :eek:

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
nVidia have not released the 10.9.5 version yet so no one can mod them.

FYI the actual modding is very easy, once nVidia releases their updated driver I'll try and do it myself :cool:

Actually, anyone comfortable with the terminal can do it:

Expand the .pkg

Code:
pkgutil --expand ~/Desktop/WebDriver-334.01.01f01.pkg ~/Desktop/WebDriver

use TextWrangler or other editor to edit var found_hardware = 0 to

Code:
var found_hardware = 1

Delete old .pkg then run this command:

Code:
pkgutil --flatten ~/Desktop/WebDriver ~/Desktop/WebDriver-334.01.01f01.pkg

theBostonian

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
So you can confirm i can safely update to 10.9.5 and install this package to have the newest nvidia drivers and the control panel to switch between default and web ones?

Yep.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 21.50.43.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 21.50.43.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 191
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.