Updated to 2.1, now email doesn't fetch

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mchekaluk, Sep 13, 2008.

1. mchekaluk macrumors newbie

I updated my iphone to 2.1 and now my email doesn't fetch. I have to go into each account and then it fetches. All accounts are set to fetch. Worked before 2.1 now not working.

Anyone else seeing this?

Mike

2. s_gelboy macrumors newbie

Hi Mike!
    Had the same problem as you since 2.1. No fetching working on the mail app (was set up at every 30 minutes). Was obligated to open the app to see if I had new mail. I deleted my MobileMe account from the iPhone and restarted the iPhone. Entered my account details again and everything was working and back to normal. Hope it helps!

3. GAZ8 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem, and while I don't have a solution, hopefully more information will be helpful. (I also just posted this in the Apple discussion forum.) Playing around trying to figure this out yesterday, my observation was that while fetch didn't work when the phone was in standby, it did seem to work if the phone created an active network connection through some other application--e.g., if I connected to a WiFi network, or if someone sent me a text message, then mail would fetch in the background as expected. But it needed something to trigger the fetch, apparently.

4. s_gelboy macrumors newbie

Yeah! Seems to be coming back also... worked great yesterday when i posted.. problem seem to be back.. annoying...

5. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I'm having the same problem. Was fine most of the weekend. Problem started last night and continues. I reset it. No luck. Tonight i plan on restoring the phone and hope it knocks out some of the problems i'm having.

6. jbode macrumors member

Yeah I have the same problem
    anybody know how to fix it?

7. Toadjeep macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with mine after installing 2.1. I called apple and they had me do a reset of holding both the home and lock button until it shut completely off. Then turned it back on with no problems since.

8. mchekaluk thread starter macrumors newbie

Toadjeep, does this wipe the iphone clean or is it just a full reboot type thing? Anybody else try this?

9. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

It doesn't wipe anything out. Didn't help with the mail for me when i did it last night. But just this afternoon, the mail is fetching itself again. :confused:

10. Toadjeep macrumors newbie

Mike,

It doesn't loose any of the information on the Iphone.

11. mchekaluk thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the off/on toadjeep recommended and no luck. Only time my email fetches is when I go into the mail program on the phone. Frustrating because it worked perfectly before 2.1

Anyone else with any luck?

12. al82 macrumors regular

THIS IS A COMMON ISSUE AND ONE THAT APPLE IS AWARE OF

I am talking to a apple guy now on the help live chat and have tried everything.

Deleting the account and readding it works ONLY FOR THE INTIAL fetching of data.

It is a common problem and the guy from the live chat told me it IS A 2.1 FIRMWARE ISSUE.

I suggest you all PLEASE go to the link below and tell them as im sure the more complaints the more they'll move their butts.

http://www.apple.com/support/mobileme/mailchat/

Just click on the chat icon.

Also to let people know my ical events are syncing fine. Just push is gone AGAIN.

13. al82 macrumors regular

Sorry for double post, could not edit post above for some reason.

The guy told me a tech guy would email me.

However PUSH IS NOW WORKING AFTER I TRIED THESE STEPS.

1. Turn push OFF,set data fetch to 15 mins
    2. Hold down the power and home button until the iphone turns itself off
    3. Turn the phone on and turn fetch on, repeat step 2.

THIS WORKED FOR ME, PLEASE TRY IT AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON.

Ok maybe i spoke too soon, it has stoped working again.

Here is something the mac help chat guy said

"DillonS: I'm sure it has to do with the update. Might have to contact iPhone or wait for a patch to download."

im turning fetch every 15mins back on.
    This thing worked for 5 mins now it not again.

COME ON APPLE ITS BEEN MONTHS OF THIS CRAP.

For anyone still having problems, i suggest setting fetch data to 15 minutes, it's better than nothing.

14. GAZ8 macrumors newbie

So we (or at least I) were originally talking about fetch, not push....

For whatever reason, fetch does seem to be working intermittently for me now. Haven't really done anything. At least last overnight/this morning it did, even when I wasn't touching the phone. Don't get this....

15. Kujo macrumors newbie

yep its fetch.

mine is really not consistent. So is this a common issue?

16. ElBerserko macrumors member

This is a major flaw in 2.1 that needs resolving!

I am really surprised more people aren't complaining about this problem. My email has stopped fetching when my iPhone is in standby on battery since upgrading to 2.1 and it looks like a lot of other people are having the same problem:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=8087877

It seems like this should be a universal problem affecting everyone that has fetch email set to check on an interval. So either people haven't noticed, or there is some setting situation where this problem doesn't occur.

I have deleted my email account (Gmail IMAP, 'other configuration') an manually reentered it and it still is not working.

From the looks of the discussion, this is a critical flaw in 2.1. Since the iPhone will still fetch when asleep when charging, I am thinking some Apple engineer got overly zealous in improving battery performance in 2.1 and killed the fetch process when the iPhone is on battery. Could this be the entire reason behind the battery performance improvement listed in the 2.1 changelog, even if turning off the fetch service was unintentional? I certainly hope not. However, it would not surprise me if their tests concluded that 2.1 had better standby times without realizing the battery performance was better because they accidentally killed a critical service.

17. GAZ8 macrumors newbie

I just realized that that's exactly what's going on with my phone! Thanks, while this doesn't solve the problem, at least it explains what looked like erratic behavior.

18. giga911 macrumors newbie

Email fetch

Same problem with my iPhone. I have a Gmail acoount, using imap and the fetch time is 15 minutes. sometimes it works, sometimes not.
    :confused::confused::confused:

19. woodyrr macrumors member

<snip>

Add mine to the list - same symptoms. After 2.0 and before 2.1 mine would very often get hung up trying to fetch mail until the iPhone was restarted. After 2.1 no email unless I open the mail app an look!

These numerous email problems inherent in version 2.x are getting ridiculous. I have been a supporter and customer of Apple Computer since the 128k Macs were introduced. I’m wondering what the people for whom this second generation iPhone is their first experience with Apple Computer products are thinking.

20. Wolo macrumors newbie

My phone can't access the Exchange email server anymore since Wednesday. The other emails are working fine.

Anyone else experiencing this?

21. SkottDMD macrumors 6502

Same problem here, doing a reset fixed it for a few hours but now it's back to checking it on random intervals. It's set to fetch every 15mins but it's more like every few hours, sometimes it's gone over 8hrs without checking on its own.

22. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

Same issue here. Just been searching and found this thread.

3G on 2.1, fetching blueyonder email over O2-UK. No longer fetching after 2.1. I just went into email after not checking for a couple of hours and it downloaded five emails! Fur chrissakes!

This is a pain in the butt! :mad:

23. PDE macrumors 68020

Same thing here with my iphone and also my girlfriend's iphone.

24. syavno macrumors member

Thank God!! It's nice to know that I'm not crazy and I'm not the only one with this issue. I've posted this problem in two different threads and nobody replied. I thought that I was the only one with this fetch problem, and that I was screwed. Hopefully Apple fixes the problem THIS WEEK!! Fetch was the most useful thing on the iPod after Safari. I use it more than listening for music!