updating apps problem iTunes 8.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cbflip2000, Sep 9, 2008.

1. cbflip2000 macrumors regular

iTunes 8.0 is not letting me update my iPhone 3G apps. I keep getting an error 5002 (unknown error occured). Has anyone been able to update apps using the new iTunes? I tried on 3 different computers that have 8.0 .

2. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Mine was erroring out saying the iTunes store was down or something like that. It eventually came back and made me approve a new TOS. I'm in the middle of a backup so I decided to cancel the update until this first backup/sync completes. Just hit 1 hour. :(

3. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I just tired and got the same error message with the 5002. It says I have apps that have an update but there is a problem with the iTunes store. I'll try again tonight when I get home from work.

4. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I was able to update apps last night fine once the store finally started working...

Phazer

5. techguy1 macrumors regular

Every time I plug iphone into USB using iTunes 8.0, it freezes.
    Can't do anything with iphone or iTunes :mad:

6. captain kaos macrumors 65816

captain kaos

And so the fun begins all over again!.....heres to another big update that doesnt work with Apples other hardware of software!

Anyone else feel like an Apple beta tester!

7. Tosser macrumors 68030

I have done so for years. I hope people will learn from these experiences and start opening their eyes to what else is out there.

8. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

ditto..

i'm sure it will work once the iTunes store calms down... seems quite slow at the moment even downloading podcasts or anything!!

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

You mean, like... oh I dunno, the Cowons that anti-iPod fanboys go on about, where the product is effectively in beta for it's entire shelf life?

The fact is that iTunes/iPod is among the, if not the, most consistently solid player-software combinations out there, more's the pity.

10. Tosser macrumors 68030

Hmm. "anti-ipod fanboys"? You mean people that think iPods are crap? Or perhaps you mean "people who decided to buy a dedicated DAP with plenty more audio quality, build quality, and several more hours of playing time. A DAP which has FM+DAB, are able to record, and, what do you know, are able to be used in disk mode just like almost any other player out there, except for the Touch and iPhone.
    Or perhaps you meant "People who prefer to be able to use a slot to upgrade the memory"?

I'm sorry, but you're really not saying anything. You're saying that all the problems with Apple's software AND hardware is the same as products getting a few bugs fixed and more features added?
    Sure, that's comparable :rolleyes:

I have been using macs for years and years, and the quality and the "integration" are all but gone, in essense making people beta testers, and in some cases, even alfa testers.

LOL, yeah right. Have you not taken notice of any of the recent roll-outs and updates from Apple? Obviously not.

11. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

12. cbflip2000 thread starter macrumors regular

just tried that. it does not work. anymore suggestions?

13. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

well it must be an issue that snuck in later rather than sooner, as I d/l v8 last night and sync my 3G this morning, including new b/u and update of 6 apps

14. marcol macrumors regular

iTunes 8 actually fixed the update problem I was having. The previous version used to tell me there were updates available but when I clicked the link to get them it told me there weren't any after all. iTunes 8 finds the updates and downloads them (and the little badge notifying of updates has finally disappeared!)

15. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Pot calling the kettle blacK

I'm sorry, but you're really not saying anything.

I'm sorry, but the one not saying anything is you. You just went on and on about this mega-fantastic product and didn't give the name. It may exist, but if you want to make a point that someone is having a vacuous rant, don't rant vacuously.

16. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I am having the same problem. 6 apps say they need updates, but can't download any of the updates, and wasn't even able to buy an app via iTunes yesterday. On the phone, all apps say they are the current versions.

17. marcol macrumors regular

My thought too. C'mon, Tosser, name the product we should all be swapping our iPhones for.

18. marcol macrumors regular

Have upgraded to 8.0?

19. Tosser macrumors 68030

Nope. I didn't go on and on about any "fantastic" product. In fact, it's a fairly cheap(ish) Cowon D2 I used as an example because you mentioned Cowon.

In fact, many of those features are available on a slew of players. I was countering the strawman argument presented by Sesshi – that there are actually players ut there that have a slew of features that the iPod is lacking. Sesshi could have mentioned iRiver, and I could have mentioned at least as many features the iPods lack. Hell, you could propably have mentioned six other companies and it would have been the same thing.

But, apparently I need to spoon feed it to you guys:
    Your argument is solely based on the notion that anyone that doesn't like the iPods for any given reason (I gave him a few of those reasons), they must be "anti-iPod fanboys" per definition. Hell, even the term "anti-ipod fanboys" are weird, unfounded and made up.

Why should I? It seems the fanboys are living in a vacuum and are intent not to break the seal.

20. drool6 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem yesterday. It seems error 5002 can be many different things, and others have solved it by reauthorizing, reparing disk permissions, changing store buying preferences. However, none of these worked for me. I found out what was causing me to get that error. One of my apps had recently changed (probably the link changed in the itunes store) and that was causing itunes to give me the error and hang in authorizing limbo. The app was Midomi. All I did was delete the Midomi app from my computer and redownload it. At first I was going through my whole list of apps trying to find the "problem app". After about half an hour, I realized that the Midomi icon in my iTunes was the generic App Store Icon, and not the original Midomi Icon. This fixed my problem and let me finish updating my 4 other updates.

Let me know if this works...

21. marcol macrumors regular

So we could have a reasoned debate as to its merits vs the iPhone? Although perhaps not in this thread as this is dreadfully OT.

22. Tosser macrumors 68030

The thing is, I'm not out to name a definitive player and/or phone. I'm asking people to open their eyes to a much broader world than that of Apple's crippled one.

I'm sorry if you think that it's only a reasoned debate if I _tell_ people what product to buy, instead of "merely" asking them to do some basic research.

I especially like the notion that the player I described was referred to as "fantastic" with an inference that it was a figment of my imagination. It proved my point splendidly.

23. marcol macrumors regular

Not much more to say then really. I've owned Palm OS, Windows Mobile and Nokia S60 handsets and did bunch of research before I bought the iPhone. The conclusion was that, for me, the iPhone was the best bet. Bought it, and haven't regretted it for a moment. It's not perfect but I like it much more than any other handheld device I've owned.

24. Tosser macrumors 68030

Fair enough. However, most of the fanboys on this site haven't tried anything else, nor are they even aware of anything else. As I mentioned before, my "fantastic fantasy product" really made me chuckle.
    With regards to the iPhone fitting you personally. That's fine too, just don't go about (as many do on this site) claiming that this "Apple-invention" is the end-all of smartphones, that the Touch is a "full-fledged PDA", that either is "more capable than anything else out there" and the like.
    I know you didn't, but plenty of other people tend to do that.

25. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Yes. Same error message, too.