Updating at launch or waiting?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Danform, Aug 4, 2013.

?

Updating at launch or later?

  1. At launch

    132 vote(s)
    82.5%
  2. Later

    28 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. Danform macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2013
    #1
    So basically the title, are you going to wait for mavericks to become more "stable" and see if there are any big bugs, or are you going to upgrade at launch?
     
  2. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

    mikecwest

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2013
    #2
    I would think, that most people who are viewing this forum are not "normal" mac users. They are now already running Mavericks, and will probably be up to the latest release of Mavericks by the time it is released. Typically, the last beta/DP release ends up being the final release, despite apples warnings that it will not be possible to update to the final release over the DP releases....Im an update junkie. I always crave the newest releases, whether it has any benefit or not. :|
     
  3. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

    Ddyracer

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2009
    #4
    Will grab it at launch and run mavy on the external hd, if all is well, upgrade.
     
  4. ATC macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #5
    At first (during the first 3 DPs) I was definitely going to wait but after DP4 I have to say I'm very impressed so far at how much it improved in the 4th (all major bugs for me at least are squashed, a few minor ones remain) so I'm now leaning towards a day one install.
     
  5. DramaLLama macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2011
    #6
    I'm too impatient to wait, even though I know I probably should wait, I'll be upgrading right away.

    edit: is there a timeframe within the Fall time frame when Mavericks is rumored to be released? beginning, middle, end of fall?
     
  6. maxosx macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2012
    Location:
    Southern California
    #7
    I have no desire to muck up my perfectly optimized MBPr. I'll gladly let others post their experiences here. I usually wait till .2 is out. If it gets good reviews then I've saved lots of time & headaches by waiting.
     
  7. macgeek88 Suspended

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2013
    Location:
    Illinois
    #8
    I always update every OS at launch. Never had any problems.
     
  8. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

    M5RahuL

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2009
    Location:
    Colorado
    #9
    I'm already running it as my main OS. Got rid of 10.8.5 completely and no regrets!
     
  9. Beavix macrumors 6502a

    Beavix

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2010
    Location:
    Romania
    #10
    On my Mac Mini (2009) DP4 has already better graphics performance than ML, so I'll upgrade as soon as possible.
     
  10. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

    WhiteIphone5

    Joined:
    May 27, 2011
    Location:
    Lima, Peru
    #11
    I'm thinking on October, along with iOS 7, iPhone 5S, MacPRO etccc

    Or early september
     
  11. Danform thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2013
    #12
    Is mavericks stable to use now do you think? I will still wait until launch at least though.
     
  12. Danform thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2013
    #13
    Oh, and also, how long after launch does it take for apps to become compatible usually?
     
  13. benwiggy macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2012
    #14
    The whole point of the Developer Preview is to allow devs to get their applications ready for the new OS by the time it is released.

    Mind you, there are some companies, like Intuit and Fontlab, who don't update their code for more than six years and then complain when Apple remove support for temporary frameworks like Rosetta.
     
  14. Bear macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Sol III - Terra
    #15
    Some apps immediately, others can take months.

    Waiting until 10.9.1 may be enough. I intend to await until I know all the applications I use (except for a few that don't matter that much to me) work fine under 10.9. I actually went from 10.7.5->10.8.4 when an application I used forced the issue. I expect to run into something a lot sooner with 10.9 that will force the issue so I'm not going to wait as long this time around.
     
  15. cbs20 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2013
    #16
    I'm planning on updating day 1 because I have a retina that suffers the lag issue and when I run Mavericks on an external HD the lag is completely gone. Just waiting until release so more developers can prepare their software for Mavericks optimization.
     
  16. ValSalva macrumors 68040

    ValSalva

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2009
    Location:
    Burpelson AFB
    #17
    I'm waiting until 10.9.1. That should be about two to three weeks after release.
     
  17. clukas macrumors 6502a

    clukas

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #18
    If all my software is compatible on launch day, I will upgrade on day 1.
     
  18. Danform thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2013
    #19
    Whats the lag issue?
     
  19. cbs20 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2013
    #20
    UI lag. Switching between desktops and full screen apps and entering Mission Control when using the integrated GPU.
     
  20. cambookpro macrumors 603

    cambookpro

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2010
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #21
    I'm too impatient :D

    Will be refreshing the MAS madly before release.
     
  21. Bokito macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 29, 2007
    Location:
    Netherlands
    #22
    It took me quite some time to upgrade from SL to Lion and from Lion to ML, but this one seems good to take. In this release Apple doesn't really remove big features and doesn't change a lot and improves a lot to make the system more stable and more responsive.
     
  22. stisdal macrumors 6502

    stisdal

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2010
    Location:
    USA
    #23
    As stated earlier, most of the people on this thread are already running Mavericks one way or another. I have mine on a separate partition. If the GM runs well after a day of testing, I will install on my main partition.

    For me, Mavericks has been great since Beta 4....
     
  23. Danform thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2013
    #24
    Awesome, I can't wait, I hope they retain 10.8 pricing! :)
     
  24. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Location:
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    #25
    I never install a .0 release; I prefer to wait for the inevitable bugs to be fixed. I usually wait for .1, sometimes .2 depending on how people are reporting issues.
     

Share This Page