Resolved Updating from iPad 2 ... Air or 4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Michael Goff, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Michael Goff, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013

Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I'm looking at both, trying to figure out which one I should be getting when I eventually bite the bullet in the next week and replace my current iPad. I can get the 4 for cheaper, which is good because I'm low on cash.

Is the Air phenomenally better? I don't mind about a weight difference, I'm a big man that can hold that much weight IN ONE HAND.

:O

Anyway, it comes down to at least 130$ difference between the two.

Is the extra performance worth it? Does the screen look better? Are the speakers on the 4 bad/the 5 have so much better speakers?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The display is not radically improved.

The speakers, while there is two of them, is still on the same side of the device only providing mono-sound.

The 4 is the economical smart buy.
    The Air is the I gotta have the latest and greatest buy.

3. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Do you mean I'll be able to play my terribly graphically intensive apps like ... Infinity Blade 2, Final Fantasy Tactics, Clash of Clans, and so forth? :O

I was being sarcastic there.

Performance wise, though, just for the record ... what is the difference?

4. AndrewS macrumors member

Air definitely. Especially if you are coming from a 2. The 4 will feel like it is loaded with lead weights. Unless you absolutely can't spend a few extra $$ on the Air, the smaller size, weight and better processor are fantastic.

5. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Now I'm tipping toward ... still not knowing.

What is the difference, performance wise?

Edit: Weight also means nothing, btw. I carry around a Surface RT. It's about the same weight as a 4, I think.

6. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

Not much difference in speed IMO, played with both just the other day.

Is like comparing iPhone 5 to 5s speed, not so much

7. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

So I'd be paying an extra 130$ for it to be lighter, basically?

8. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

Pretty much, iPad 4 is still a great device

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Also for future proofing. The Air should get firmware updates for at least a year longer than iPad 4. Also, eventually there will be apps that will run only on the 64 bit chip of the iPad Air and later. (iPad 4 and earlier have 32 bit chip). How long it will be before that happens, hard to say.

10. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I agree here - I was in the same boat: I had an iPad 2 and wanted to upgrade but was attracted to the lower cost of the 4. But then I started messing with the Air on display at Best Buy. I took one home with me that night. :D

For $130 bucks, the Air is worth it. If it was $250 bucks then the money starts to come into play more.

11. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

From the 2 to the 4 will feel the same with increased speed and retina. If you go from the 2 to the air you will notice that it is a great improvement. I apwen from the iPad 1 to the iPad air. Dramatic improvement.

12. conorporter macrumors newbie

You want to get the Air or the mini with Retina.

Just make it happen.

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Also in terms of future proofing, if you wait 2 years to upgrade like you did the 2, the 4 will be worth considerably less than the Air, resale wise.

14. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I don't re-sell, I gift. :cool:

15. CthrewU macrumors member

CthrewU

Try one at a store...

I currently use a 4th gen and it has been great. Battery is on par with the new Air and the performance difference is not really noticeable as some others have said. The one thing I did notice about the Air that kept me from upgrading is the cheap feeling almost plastic quality to the glass on the screen.

As soon as I started messing with one at a store the tactile difference in typing is definitely noticeable. The iPad Air feels like it is filled with Air! It really does have a hollow feel and sound when typing and using the screen. I am a bit heavy handed but this is the first iPad that I have noticed the issue on. I was actually able to get the LCD to distort by just pressing on it with my index finger.

Just my 2 cents, but I would test drive one in a store before you decide.

16. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

lol at future proofing, give me a break guys. u really think apple will put 64 bits apps only anytime soon

17. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

And if I live in the middle of nowhere and can't actually get to a store? I don't really have a ride to the city about twenty miles away to go to the WalMart there. And I never saw the need to get a drivers license or a car when I live in such a small town. I just walk anywhere I need to go.

18. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

19. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Then Apple Online Store has a holiday return policy which extends returns up to January 7, 2014 apart from its standard 14-day return policy.

Apple is in a somewhat unique position since they're both manufacturer and seller. Unlike Best Buy, etc, Apple stands to gain more by keeping customers happy. I reckon customer service is also part of the reason why Apple products can maintain their premium pricing.

Apple Sales and Refund Policy

20. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Yes, but that hardly helps me test them unless I'm going to try, send back, try, send back, choose one. >_>

----------

Could somebody do the math (or maths if you're british) and tell me what the numbers are? :p

Also, I keep reading about Safari crashes on the Air. I keep reading about them here, mind you, but being unable to browser the web would really stink.

And does it really have to do with 64-bit taking more RAM while Apple didn't provide any more?

21. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

What I'm trying to say is get both now so you can try both until January 7 and then return the one you don't like. I think a month should be a long enough time to gauge which one you like better.

22. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I have 750$ extra money to last until I find a new job.

I can't AFFORD both, I'm going to have to lie like it is to not get jumped on for buying ONE of those two. :|

23. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

If you charge it to a credit card (assuming you don't carry a balance), you have a 50-60 day grace period for payment if you time the purchase right (just after statement closing).

Given that money is that tight though, I wouldn't be buying an iPad if I were you.

24. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I don't use a credit card, I use cash.

You're probably right about now buying an iPad. I could always just get a new cord for the 2 and deal with it.

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Safari does crash more often than it did on the earlier iPads, but not so often as to make it impossible to use. It's just that every so often, you get dumped out of Safari to the home screen, but you can start it up again, all the pages you had open before it crashed would reload, and you go right on browsing like you were before the crash.

Also, I'm sure Apple is working on fixing the problem. In fact I haven't had a Safari crash since I updated to 7.0.4. (Hope I haven't jinxed it now! :p)