updating ipad in six months really?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by biscuitdunker, Mar 27, 2011.

1. biscuitdunker macrumors newbie

2. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

No one except a few folks at Apple know for sure.

3. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Possible? Sure

Do I think it will happen? Nope

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

Completely agree :)

5. chrisfromalbany macrumors 6502

Steve said "this will be the year of the ipad 2".. Not the year of the iPad 2 & 3... I figure not.. I don't see anything out there to compete with iPad2 and in order run the retina, I believe going to need next generating processor for the graphics. So No..

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

it would make zero sense for Apple to release an iPad 3 this fall because:

1. The iPad 2 is selling so well that Apple can't even keep them on the shelf long enough to collect a spec of dust.

2. It would hurt them if they release a new product this fall that is unavailable to purchase by the average customer if it were to suffer from the same high demand that the iPad 2 is having.

3. All of Apple's products are on a 9-12 refresh cycle.

4. The iPad 2 is not even available in every country yet, so releasing a new iPad before this model has had a chance to be released in other parts of the world make no sense.

7. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I think it would reasonably upset too many iPad 2 owners. I mean, is there any precedent in this industry for an update like this occurring so soon?

8. leenak macrumors 68020

I don't think it will happen, but if it did, not sure why it would upset current owners. I was going to buy one last year until I did a little research and saw the iPad 2 would be coming soon so I waited. I wouldn't have waited until September though.

9. fanboy05 macrumors regular

Not gonna happen ... People like to make crap up to get attention, but unless they add a different size screen say a 7 inch, the innards will be the same anyway ... Most likely if they were to add a different size they would wait till next spring with the iPad 3

10. biscuitdunker thread starter macrumors newbie

its not outwith the realms of possibilty, apple have released 2 updates of various mac products in the same year, imac and macbook, i think it is unlikely but an alternative model ipad is possible, retina display ipad hd or a 7inch:cool:

11. The Jambo macrumors member

They have it perfect right now...

Q1: iPad
    Q2: Mac
    Q3: iPhone
    Q4: iPod

Can't see them mixing them up more.

12. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

Ahhhh this wouldn't make any sense what-so-ever.

1. Extremely high demand of current version (mentioned earlier).

2. Customer base is still deciding to stay with iPad 1 version or not. So to stop production of a high demand item as the iPad to might show complete overkill to the market and will most likely hurt MAXIMUM profit for both iPad 2 and 3.

Conclusion...not happenin!

13. redman042 macrumors 68020

After reading that rumor, here's what I think... IF it's true that iOS 5 is all about cloud services and IF a September release is also true, then I could imagine an "iPad 2 Cloud Edition" (but obviously with a better name than that) which would be a less expensive iPad with a low amount of on-board storage that relies heavily on the new cloud services. This would not replace the current iPad 2, just add another option to the product line. Yes, I know that's a LOT of models but this doesn't seem to bother Apple so far.

If that happened, I don't think anyone who upgraded to the iPad 2 would be disappointed, nor would the release of such a device change the statement that "2011 is the year of the iPad 2".

In my mind, a retina display upgrade would have to come with a MAJOR model upgrade, and that would not be until 2012. Lots of technical hurdles yet to overcome to make a usable portable device with that many pixels on the screen.

14. St. Germain macrumors 6502

Yes, but it won't be a replacement for the iPad 2. It will just add another model to the iPad line.

15. frenzo142 macrumors member

I feel like this stuff about the next generation of *insert Apple product* would surely come from:
    1) direct competitors of Apple; and/or
    2) Apple-haters and jealous freaks,
    who want to chip away at the potential consumer market that Apple has secured as part of a concerted attempt to stall sales.

Of course, if an "iPad 3" comes out in September or October 2011, you can bet the rumor mill will start churning on the "iPad 4" by the first week of January 2012.

It's never-ending.

For me personally, I do not care anymore for these rumors. I waited long enough for "iPad 2" and I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it. It is, and still will be an amazing product for many years to come. It does all that I want it to do right ... it meets my needs of information-access on the go, wherever I go, whenever I want.

16. Reluctant Adept macrumors member

Given how long it took the original iPad to get to some countries I suspect the gap to iPad 2 felt absurdly short. Likewise, if the iPhone 5 comes out on the usual schedule then the gap for Verizon buyers of the iPhone 4 will be even shorter than six months. It's important to recognize that not having the latest and greatest doesn't make diminish what you can do with the prior product. Apple will do well to keep releasing compelling products every chance they get. Some people will upgrade at every release, others will wait two release cycles, or three, or four.

That said, I don't believe there will be an iPad 3 this fall. There were plenty of rumors of a new iPad model last fall as well, and it never materialized. I don't think Apple will have an "A6" ready in that timeframe so anything that could come out would be a relatively minor change. Could there be a 128GB model released if competition ramps up? Sure. Could Apple stick with the "year of iPad 2" banner and release a retina-inspired iPad 2HD? Sure, but even that scenario seems unlikely since it would perform perceptibly worse than its lower resolution counterparts.

I'd expect the annual release cycle Apple established with the iPhone and has carried forward with the iPod Touch and iPad to continue.

17. cue003 macrumors member

What if...

Apple was concerned about comptetion so it updated the iPad to iPad 2 before any o the others got off the ground.

Then they wait till July to see how the bulk of the competition does and how much impact, if any, apple feels.

Then sept timeframe they realease iPad 2 upgraded model to combat wherever the competion is really and truly smacking them. Most likely in screen resolution, camera and ios 5.

Just a thought. Unless apple ha another trick up it's sleeve which will get introduced with ios 5 that somehow improves the cameras capabilities.

Just a thought. :)

18. Bob Sanders macrumors member

That's a wishful thought. I'll give you a 1% chance and that's probably too generous.

19. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

It's as possible as it is to search for probably a dozen other threads discussing the same thing rather than starting yet another one. Just saying...

20. matt550 macrumors 6502

One with a better display is what I was thinking. They will not introduce a whole new iPad.

21. Zeos macrumors 6502

Only if the iPad sees a worthy challenger, then Apple might feel pressured. Overall, though, not likely at all since I'm sure they wouldn't want to take the attention of another profitable line (the iPods).

22. Cool Hwhip macrumors member

Anyone with a brain knows for sure.

23. tdream macrumors 65816

If they do it, it will be like this.

iPad 3 will not replace the iPad 2, rather complement it as the high end version. All version of iPad 2 are basically the same. This new iPad, maybe iPad HD will be more expensive than the iPad 2 and have more features, the main one being a high res screen.

24. Blakjack, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  25. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

No, not going to happen. 2011 = year of iPad 2.