Upgrade 2009 15" MBP to 2010 15" i7 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by katyoshi, Jul 18, 2010.

1. katyoshi macrumors 6502

I know I posted posts previous in the past this year about getting a 13" but figured since I am able to afford another 15", I'll look into that. Main use is for graduate nursing school and home. Won't be doing graphics intensive work except for the usual seldom iMovie editing to make videos or slideshows. I use a lot of iWork, office for mac 08, internet, email, pandora, itunes, etc. I have a 2009 15" 2.66 ghz MBP.

Some main points I see whats good in upgrading is the graphics card switches automatically and I don't have to always log out and close down my programs I already have open, its a little faster than the one I have now, option of getting glossy high-resolution since I'm mostly indoors with it, and battery may last 8-9 hours (is this common?). When I'm at starbucks and school just doing minor web browsing to search for research articles in Pubmed and writing a word document, it shows I get almost 6-7 hours at full charge, but most times it shows between 4-6 hours. I did get many times where it showed that I had a constant 6 hours :). I also see that it may be useful to have a few more hours of battery life if you're on the go lets say from starbucks (assuming all the seats and outlet plugs are taken up) to the university campus.

So is it worth it to upgrade or wait?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm sorry but I'm not even going to bother reading the whole thing. :eek:

You need to ask yourself if you really need a new Macbook Pro or not. :)

(just saying, but it's hard to catch up with technology) ;)

3. btownguy macrumors 6502

Just curious how you plan to get rid of your old laptop and how much you expect to get for it. I also have a 2009 and would like to upgrade before my education discount runs out in December.

4. katyoshi thread starter macrumors 6502

Doesn't Apple's education discount end in September? I think I could get $1400 because It's in excellent shape, no scuffs or anything, runs sharp, and has applecare. I got it last year for about $1,850 plus the applecare so slightly over $2,000. I know many people who buy MBPs are also taking into consideration of the looks of the machine. :D Tell me if I'm overcharging cuz I never sold a MBP before. However, I plan to give the one I have to my mom.