Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borgusio

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
I am going to buy the Air 2.

Rationale behind it:
- I would buy the Pro for the more precise pencil
- In my daily usage performance is more impacted by RAM rather then computing power (I switch a lot between office apps and use a lot of safari tabs)
- I use a bluetooth speaker when I watch movies, so no need for the four speakers
- I use an apple keyboard with my iPad, so no need for the new keyboard connection

-> All in all it comes down to the pencil. At present I use a bamboo stylus which is not that great. However.
- iPad Air 2 64 GB: 659 EUR
- iPad Pro 32 GB + pencil: 938 EUR

It is 279 EUR or 40 % more to get a better pencil and 32 GB SSD less. I will get the Air 2 with 24 months financing at 0 % interest rate and sell it once a pro with 4 GB of RAM comes out.

My two pence

Reactions: Devyn89

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
None until Apple drops support for features in the new OS versions; ala Air 1 no multitasking. Yes I get it's a RAM issue, but things aren't quite as smooth on iOS9 on an iPAd 3 or 4 or even Air 1.

But you have the Air2.

Apple loves customers like you. Bought the Air2 and will do the same on this new one...you didn't even skip one generation.

Nice work if you get can it... but wholly unnecessary.

Last edited:

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
if the air2 was only 12months old, then i would say yep go for the air2. but 18months old? hmmm i really think the extra £150 for the pro is hard to ignore :)
For someone buying new I think the extra money is worth it, but for existing Air 2 owners who don't care about Apple Pencil I am not convinced there is enough new stuff in the Pro to justify upgrading; unless they just want to have the satisfaction of having the latest and greatest thing.

Biggest issue is below. This says a lot about future-proofing your purchase a bit. How long before the Air 2 becomes the dog of the iPad line on new OS updates?

I was dead set on a refurb 64 Air 2 to save $150 or so, but this is kind of eye opening that the jump from the A8x to A9x is 3 times the jump from the older A7/A8 to A8x.

That really worries me how long the Air 2 will handle future OS versions if it's not much higher than the already killed off A7 devices (prior Minis and Air 1) and soon to be A8 (mini 4 when it's upgraded this year) devices.]

The Air 2 will be the lone wolf device under 2,000 Geekbench as soon as the Mini is upgraded; even the current iphones surpassed it.

iPad-Pro-9.7-charts.001.png

What that benchmark fails to show is the vastly improved multicore performance of the A8X compared to the A7, the vastly superior GPU performance and the doubling of RAM to 2GB. Make no mistake the Air 2 will last much longer than the original Air, which is still able to run iOS 9.3 quite nicely.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
For someone buying new I think the extra money is worth it, but for existing Air 2 owners who don't care about Apple Pencil I am not convinced there is enough new stuff in the Pro to justify upgrading; unless they just want to have the satisfaction of having the latest and greatest thing.

What that benchmark fails to show is the vastly improved multicore performance of the A8X compared to the A7, the vastly superior GPU performance and the doubling of RAM to 2GB. Make no mistake the Air 2 will last much longer than the original Air, which is still able to run iOS 9.3 quite nicely.

But you still think the extra $150 is worth it? For someone with no iPad now.

That's the really tough question. I get upgrading an Air 2 doesnt make much sense but buying new is a tough choice now.

The IPP 9.7 may be a BIT more future-proof if terms of what features Apple doesnt cut out of the OS (potentially); plus the Air 2 is going to be 2 years old come this fall.

Is saving $100 ($150 for refurb) really enough to buy a nearly 2 year old device is the real question. And is iOS 10 going to be a big "doggy" on it vs the IPP 9.7 come 1 year from now. Frustration with usage isn't worth saving $150 to me in the overall scheme. It's $10 more per month if you look at it that way.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool

That's the really tough question. I get upgrading an Air 2 doesnt make much sense but buying new is a tough choice now.

The IPP 9.7 may be a BIT more future-proof if terms of what features Apple doesnt cut out of the OS (potentially); plus the Air 2 is going to be 2 years old come this fall.

Is saving $100 ($150 for refurb) really enough to buy a nearly 2 year old device is the real question.

The new 9.7 pro has pencil support, smart connector, true tone display, and the stereo speaker setup. If you don't think you will ever benefit from those features then the air 2 is a great choice.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Let me try to explain a bit better I didnt say it very well.

Lets say you go get an Air 2 today. Say you get a 64gb refurb for around $450. You can go sell that in a year from now for $300, a $150 loss (it will be a 2.5 year old refurb device then and 64gb Air 1s are going for about $300). To get back into the new ipad line (assuming the $599 price continues) you need to chip in $200 on top of what you sold it for. Overall you paid $650 (450 up front an 200 on the back end)

Now say you get an IPP 9.7 today. You can go sell it next year for $499, a $100 loss too (less loss than selling a 2.5 year old device). You only need to pony up $100 to get the newest iPad. Overall you paid $699 (599 up front an 100 on the back end).

This is the issue. At some point you will have to upgrade and what is the future loss/resale taken into account. There's only a $50 difference in that scenario.

It's not a LOT more money really, even if you get a refurb Air 2 now at that and not pay Apple pricing. You pay either way is the point, whether it is now, or a year from now. Unless younever intend to buy the newest one of course.

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015

Is saving $100 ($150 for refurb) really enough to buy a nearly 2 year old device is the real question. And is iOS 10 going to be a big "doggy" on it vs the IPP 9.7 come 1 year from now. Frustration with usage isn't worth saving $150 to me in the overall scheme. It's $10 more per month if you look at it that way.
Well to be honest I think it depends on the storage you need. If you need more than 32GB then buying a 64GB/128GB Air 2 makes much more sense than buying a 32GB Pro, especially if you can grab an Apple refurbished one.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Well to be honest I think it depends on the storage you need. If you need more than 32GB then buying a 64GB/128GB Air 2 makes much more sense than buying a 32GB Pro, especially if you can grab an Apple refurbished one.

Of course. I mean I have 36.8gb free of 55.6 (64gb) Iphone 6S, and that's with 145 apps. No movies but I rarely carry around my full movies.

So I can't really see using more than 32gb. Im only really using maybe 19gb on my iphone. And 1 is a game I need to delete that is hogging 1.7gb I never play, so really 17GB using.

I believe the 32gb gives you about 27-27.5gb free after the OS. So storage on either option really isnt much of an issue.

Last edited:

ShaunAFC3

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2016
I am seriously considering buying a 128GB 9.7 iPP and handing down the Air 2 to my wife.

So are you still seriously considering buying the 128GB 9.7 inch iPad Pro now?? Especially since in the latest reports its been revealed that the new 9.7 inch has 2GB of RAM instead of 4GB.....

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
It means nothing. If it can run on the current iphones and Air 2 it can run on the IPP 9.7

Smoke and mirrors by the critics.

ShaunAFC3

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2016
Air 2 still has low memory issues. Hopefully this has the higher amount of ram that the big Pro does.

Really?? Does it?? On my iPad Air 2 I have never had low RAM memory issues so far on mine even when I play heavy and graphic intensive games like Gangster Vegas, Asphalt 8, GTA!!

So what do you mean by saying "Air 2 still has low memory issues""?? o_Oo_O:eek::eek:
[doublepost=1458848085][/doublepost]
And this means WHAT exactly?

I won't be able to run my favorite apps?

Yes you will definitely be still able to run your favourite apps PERFECTLY fine even with 2GB of RAM!!

Calm down I never said that you won't be able to run your favourite apps jeez!

I don't really get why on here what is the fuss about the new 9.7 inch iPad Pro only having 2GB of RAM instead of 4GB, I'm pretty sure in 12-18 months time Apple will announce the next 9.7 iPad Pro with 4GB of RAM hopefully maybe!!

Last edited:
My upgrade cycle
iPhone - Every 2 years with the "S" model (3G S, 4S, 5S, 6S, 7S)
iPad - Every 4 years but with only even generation numbers. (iPad 2, iPad 4, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro 2)
Apple TV - the release cycle is so wide and the device is so cheap it's worthwhile to get the latest upgrade and give the last gen ATV to a family member who would like to have one. Dictation works great for me, meanwhile the ATV 2 is still rock solid at my mom's house and the ATV 3 has been put to good use in the kid's room.

MacBook/MacBook Pro/iMac - When the previous one died (about 6-10 years depending on what it was for) and when buying a new one I look at the current state of the market, how good is the next gen processor going to be compared to the current model, e.g. Skylake is better. I also look at the configurations and see how worth the money it is. As for now I will not be buying a Mac with a dedicated GPU until they get rid of the AMD graphics cards.

I think that covers the line-up of products.

ShaunAFC3

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2016
I have an Air 1 and Best Buy will certainly be a factor in helping push me along to upgrading. Oh yeah, the screen and chassis vibrations must NOT be a problem as they were on the Air 2. That's another big factor for me.

So are you going be upgrading to the new 9.7 inch iPad Pro then??? :cool::cool:

Reactions: Wowereit

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Title is my situation. Anyone considering that particular upgrade? I'm sure I can get a pretty good buck reselling mine and then buy the new one. Anyone see a really decent reason for it other than having the latest?

Well if you can, why not. You'll get a similar device to the Air 2 but with much better performance, a significantly improved screen, better cameras (if you want to use the worlds biggest camera :D) Pencil support if you want it. And so on and so on.

I did a similar thing. I sold my Air 2 a few weeks ago, once I new there was going to be a replacement and I got almost as much for it as you can buy one now new :) worked out well, one shiny new iPad Pro (albeit the 12.9")

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Really?? Does it?? On my iPad Air 2 I have never had low RAM memory issues so far on mine even when I play heavy and graphic intensive games like Gangster Vegas, Asphalt 8, GTA!!

So what do you mean by saying "Air 2 still has low memory issues""?? o_Oo_O:eek::eek:
[doublepost=1458848085][/doublepost]

Yes you will definitely be still able to run your favourite apps perfectly fine even with 2GB of RAM!!

Calm down I never said that you won't be able to run your favourite apps jeez!

I don't really get why on here what is the fuss about the new 9.7 inch iPad Pro only having 2GB of RAM instead of 4GB, I'm pretty sure in 12-18 months time Apple will announce the next 9.7 iPad Pro with 4GB of RAM hopefully maybe!!

Agreed. I have multiple tabs open and never a reload.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
The 4K video alone is worth the upgrade. The display is a newer panel. IPad Pro A9X although lower clock speeds. The speakers are now 4x. The LTE bands are now supported (Band 12) - and LTE Advanced supported. Aside from these new hardware updates, the only thing they gimped on is the USB 2.0 interface.

Other than those things it's a much better iPad than the IPad AIR 2.

4K video without the 4K display of the 12" iPad Pro?

Nah

ShaunAFC3

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2016
and it will likely get a RAM bump too

Well the next 9.7 inch iPad Pro might get 4GB of RAM most likely I think but who knows.... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
[doublepost=1458849596][/doublepost]
Let me try to explain a bit better I didnt say it very well.

Lets say you go get an Air 2 today. Say you get a 64gb refurb for around $450. You can go sell that in a year from now for $300, a $150 loss (it will be a 2.5 year old refurb device then and 64gb Air 1s are going for about $300). To get back into the new ipad line (assuming the $599 price continues) you need to chip in $200 on top of what you sold it for. Overall you paid $650 (450 up front an 200 on the back end)

Now say you get an IPP 9.7 today. You can go sell it next year for $499, a $100 loss too (less loss than selling a 2.5 year old device). You only need to pony up $100 to get the newest iPad. Overall you paid $699 (599 up front an 100 on the back end).

This is the issue. At some point you will have to upgrade and what is the future loss/resale taken into account. There's only a $50 difference in that scenario.

It's not a LOT more money really, even if you get a refurb Air 2 now at that and not pay Apple pricing. You pay either way is the point, whether it is now, or a year from now. Unless younever intend to buy the newest one of course.
The new 9.7 pro has pencil support, smart connector, true tone display, and the stereo speaker setup. If you don't think you will ever benefit from those features then the air 2 is a great choice.

You forgot one more thing and that is a much faster and more powerful chip the A9X chip in the new 9.7 inch iPad Pro! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: swordfish5736

Bugdozer

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
I decided to order the new iPad Pro. I have the air 2. I was planning on getting my granddaughter the iPad mini 4 for her birthday next month. So instead the money I would have spent on the mini I will use on the pro and I will give her my air 2. I also had a coupon from Best Buy for 10% off one item and I was able to use it on the new pro. I pre ordered from Best Buy with pick up on the 31st. Ordered the space gray 128 g and with coupon was $674.

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015

No one is going to pay you $500 for a year old out of warranty 9.7" IPP when they can spend $100 more and get a new one.

Reactions: rui no onna

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
So are you still seriously considering buying the 128GB 9.7 inch iPad Pro now?? Especially since in the latest reports its been revealed that the new 9.7 inch has 2GB of RAM instead of 4GB.....
No. 2GB RAM made it a no-go for me. As providence would have it, Staples is running (what I consider to be) a killer deal on 12.9 Pro iPads. $150 off... That brings the 12.9 down to only $50 more than the 9.7. I ordered one and it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I want it but I can't rationalize it. It doesn't offer anything I need over my Air 2.

I use headphones, never use the camera, never use a keyboard and I can't draw to save my life.

I don't care for the pricing either. If it came with the stylus I could justify it. Or if it was priced to fill the 499 gap left by the Air 2 I could justify it. But all I see is a spec bump albeit considerable for more money for less storage. Its ace in the hole....sold separately....

Now I know I'm kind of being unfair because the Pro name does carry quite the bump in specs in this case. However you'd have to admit it is a little awkward the Air 2 and Mini 4 being priced identically due to this price jump.

Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way. Now might be an excellent time to buy an Air 2. Or an Air 3 is just around the corner that is going to fill that $499 price gap.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
I want it but I can't rationalize it. It doesn't offer anything I need over my Air 2.

I use headphones, never use the camera, never use a keyboard and I can't draw to save my life.

I don't care for the pricing either. If it came with the stylus I could justify it. Or if it was priced to fill the 499 gap left by the Air 2 I could justify it. But all I see is a spec bump albeit considerable for more money for less storage. Its ace in the hole....sold separately....

Now I know I'm kind of being unfair because the Pro name does carry quite the bump in specs in this case. However you'd have to admit it is a little awkward the Air 2 and Mini 4 being priced identically due to this price jump.

Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way. Now might be an excellent time to buy an Air 2. Or an Air 3 is just around the corner that is going to fill that $499 price gap.

It's not a legit spec bump with 2GB RAM

Also, almost nothing takes advantage of the power of the iPad Air 2 let alone the pro

No 3D Touch
No 4GB RAM
No 4K display

All of these are OBVIOUS additions for next years model that they purposely left out to make next years models enticing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.