Upgrade Date Changed?!? What Gives?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thehopscotch, Jun 3, 2010.

1. thehopscotch macrumors regular

thehopscotch

I have checked my upgrade date via the AT&T website several times recently (as recent as about a week ago) and it always said 6/7/2010 was the date I'd be eligible for new contract pricing.

After reading through the FAQ thread, I decided to check by sending the *637# (or whatever it is) to check eligibility date by receiving a text. That message said I wasn't eligible until 9/7/2010. NOT HAPPY! (ETA: I have not changed anything on my account recently either)

So...I went back to the AT&T site again after sending that message and it now shows 9/7/2010 too.

Anyone else had your upgrade date pushed out? I'm planning to contact AT&T tomorrow to figure out what happened because I am not happy about waiting or paying a bunch of extra money for something that has been telling me I'd be eligible for weeks.

2. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

What does it say when you do this?

My txt version said 12/22, but when I did that from Apples site, it said I'm eligible (w/o 2yr re-up) now for a cheaper iPhone ($399 for a 16GB 3GS) which is a helluva lot better than what I was planning on having to pay (full blow $599)

3. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the link. I think what it shows is that you get a partial discount, which is $200 less than no discount and $200 more than a complete discount. I am scheduled to be able to upgrade on July 2nd and I get the same prices as you do. And it is the same price as I got on the AT&T website.

4. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Late payment on a bill?

5. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

AT&T website is not good. What model you have? I had the original iPhone and it always was pushing the discounted price for upgrade date. I went to the AT&T store and got a 3GS without any issue. I paid the full price for the original iPhone and the discounted price for the 3GS.
    Check at the store and ask for the manager in case the associates don't help you.

6. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Mine is still 2/7/11 lol......

I got the 3gs on the day it released for $299 (32gb), skipped the 3g, got the original on the day it came out.

7. thehopscotch thread starter macrumors regular

thehopscotch

That shows $399 for a 3GS 16GB right now...but I wouldn't expect it to show anything different until 6/7/2010 when I was initially quoted for an upgrade via the site. I'm calling AT&T today to find out what is going on. I am trying to figure out when I'll be eligible for $199 pricing (not $399 pricing) because that is what initially was showing 6/7.

8. thehopscotch thread starter macrumors regular

thehopscotch

Thanks for that info. I have the 3G...never got a 3GS (which is why I really want the next version). I've had the 3G since January 6, 2009.

9. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Definitely give them a call soon. Something doesn't sound right.

10. thehopscotch thread starter macrumors regular

thehopscotch

You were right! I called and they said the only thing that had changed was that I paid my most recent bill a couple of days late. I had no idea that could affect upgrade eligibility. It wasn't that I didn't have the money...just slipped my mind. I asked if I set up an automatic payment through the site, if they would change it back...and she said there is absolutely nothing they can do to override it and that it is all computer generated.

She said in store they can override it within 30 days of the upgrade date, but that's it...which still puts me at 8/7/2010.

Contract termination for me at this point is $95, so I may just end up going that route. Annoying, but it is cheaper than paying an extra $200, and I'm not tied to my number at all (I actually hate it).

Ugh...do I have any other options?? Can Customer Service (over the phone and in store) really not do anything until 8/7/2010 or are they just saying this??

11. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

You can cancel your contract, but you do realize that you can't become a "new" AT&T customer for another 90 days (or something) afterward, right?

And as far as I know, they have very little control over a lot of things on customer accounts.

12. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i am sure you can talk to a csr manager about this. i dont see why they would let you go as a customer. force that upon them and hopefully you will get your date back, good luck.

13. thehopscotch thread starter macrumors regular

thehopscotch

So, I called again...got another CSR...she told me there was nothing they could do. I asked for her supervisor - she had him look at the account and he said that the change from 6/7 to 9/7 was due to a rate plan change that took place back in FEBRUARY.

I checked as recent as last week and it was still showing 6/7. I asked if I went back to my old rate plan (450mins to 900mins) if it would change back to 6/7...she said no.

I threatened to cancel my line, my husband's line, and my parents' lines if they couldn't put it back to 6/7...she said she'd put me through to the cancellation team.

What happened to retention call centers? Most will do anything and everything to keep you as a customer (especially multiple people)! Apparently AT&T just doesn't care.

14. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

If it was that easy to hold them hostage everybody would get whatever they wanted and AT&T would start losing buckets of money. Most threats are idle, especially if you have that many lines. They know this.

15. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Someone posted an interesting internal memo awhile back that had the things they look at to decide whether or not they care whether to give you any incentives to stay or not. It had the "script" and everything. I wish I could find that again.

16. elephunkman macrumors 65816

I believe it has to do more with your late payment because I do remember I read a memo somewhere that explained it. I highly doubt you got your date pushed back because of a rate change.

17. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

that would be interesting to look at, you should try and find it!

18. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

19. thehopscotch thread starter macrumors regular

thehopscotch

I am a business customer, as well...so you would think they'd care a bit more about business customers.

20. tesilential macrumors regular

I'm new to this, but couldn't you just add another line to your plan and get an Iphone on that line?

Then you could cancel yours for $95 and not have to pay for both lines.

21. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

http://consumerist.com/2007/08/inte...andling-all-kinds-of-customer-complaints.html

This maybe?

I quoted a snippet - I recommend everyone read it!:

22. thehopscotch thread starter macrumors regular

thehopscotch

Is that possible? Could I just add a line...then cancel my current phone and pay the ETF?

Do they allow that?

23. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

24. elephunkman macrumors 65816

They sure do! I'm happy to answer this question because this is what I plan on doing on iDay. Add new line, cancel current line and eat ETF. Even the CSR on the phone and at the AT&T store recommended I do this since my upgrade is not ready.

25. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

The date on that looks to be from 2006/2007, so it's possible things have changed.

However, no one should be surprised that big companies sort out their customers on terms of attractiveness.