Upgrade eligibility: "discount" vs "upgrade"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Slip Jigs, Jun 8, 2010.

  1. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    #1
    I want to sell my 3G S now, but I've checked everything and I'm still not comfortable with what ATT is telling me.

    When in dial *NEW# from the phone, the message says they can offer me an upgrade.

    The website says I "may" qualify for an upgrade.

    Calling 611 in the automated system, it says they can offer me a discount.

    Can anyone clarify this for me?
     
  2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

    Chupa Chupa

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    #2
    ATT has two upgrade offers: "Upgrade Eligible" and early. Upgrade Eligibile is $199/$299 and Early is $399/$499. You'd have to call ATT to find out which one you qualify for, but sounds like its the full.
     
  3. Slip Jigs thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    #3
    Thanks dude. I will try to call them again, but right away it was warning long hold times, so I'll have to try later.

    It does sound like an upgrade, but that discount word slipped in and that usually mean in between full upgrade and full price.

    Has any one else checked their status on the 611 recording or *NEW#? If so, what was the message you're getting?
     
  4. melman101 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2009
    #4
    Mine is 2/20/2011 and I'm not eligible for any upgrade price. I'm on a family plan, second line, and I have had a 3GS since launch.

    They want to charge me $599. Anyone else in a similar situation?

    Sincerely,
    Mel
     
  5. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

    FSUSem1noles

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2006
    Location:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    #5
    Yes, I'm in the same situation. My wife when she got her phone she unknowingly switched her number to the primary line so my line got bumped down to secondary..

    Of course, her line is eligible for the upgrade. So she's giving it to me seeing as she has a blackberry anyway and doesn't want an iPhone..

    The plus to that is, now I'll be fully eligible for the next iPhone release..
     
  6. Geckotek macrumors G3

    Geckotek

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #6


    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=10071580&postcount=100
     
  7. Surely Guest

    Surely

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #7
    Long hold times..... today? Imagine that!
     
  8. aneftp macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2007
    #8
    I wouldn't worry about that. If you upgrade more than 12 months ago, ATT will give you the partila $399/499 price.

    Watch on June 15th, when you preorder, it will give you that price, since June 24 will be more than 12 months from the June 19 2009 timeframe when you purchased the phone.

    Now if you only upgraded 6 months ago, you will probably have to pay fullprice. ATT estimates it takes about 12 months in order to give you the partial upgrade.

    The reason I sound sure about this is because when purchased iPhone 3G in July 2008 for full subsidy price $199/299.

    Since our primary line was eligible for full upgrade for 3GS launch, I paid $199 for full subdidy upgrade but the secondary line wasn't eligible till Dec 2009. So ATT gave me the $399 partial upgrade for the secondary line when the iPhone 3gs launched last June 2009.
     
  9. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2008
    Location:
    Germantown MD/ Columbus OH
    #9
    Ok someone please confirm this. I got the text that said I am not eligible for a full discount until 03/09/2011. Then it says, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade with a 2-yr commitment and $18 upgrade fee.

    It hasn't been 12 months since I owned the phone, got the phone July 9th, 2009. From understanding what I was reading above I can be offered the partial $399/$499 price July 9th, which would be 12 months.

    What i'm confused about is that in the text they said they can offer me a discounted iPhone upgrade with 2-yr commitment and $18 upgrade fee. Are they offering the partial $399/499 price right now?
     
  10. Geckotek macrumors G3

    Geckotek

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #10
    Yes. $199/$299 in March of '11.
     
  11. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2008
    Location:
    Germantown MD/ Columbus OH
    #11
    Ok, thank you! I just called ATT and they of course couldn't tell me anything except to do the text method to check which offers me a broad response. I know some others that bought the phone in July of 09 are eligible for the $199/299 upgrade since i've been hearing about ATT moving the upgrade dates around. The lady at ATT also said I can check upgrade options for the iPhone 4, but it is not available to choose as a possible upgrade yet. I am guessing on the 15th ATT will put up that option to check for current 3GS owners upgrade price. I guess if it comes down to it I will have to pay $399/499.
     
  12. Slip Jigs thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    #12
    I don't know why they make this like the Da Vinci code. My text never mentioned a date, but did mention the upgrade fee.

    Thanks gecko for that link, I'm going to explore that one.
     
  13. Geckotek macrumors G3

    Geckotek

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #13
    No date means eligible now.
     
  14. Slip Jigs thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    #14
    Sweet.

    I just gazelled my 3GS, will be getting $304 or about 20 bucks less if they happen to agree with the condition.

    Also noticed in then press release about the tethering plan. Hmmm.
     
  15. hellodon macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2006
    #15
    Same..no date, but My Text says:

    "As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee."

    (yesterday my upgrade date said 2/11/2011 on the website)

    Does this mean I can get the new phone for $199/$299 +$18, or $399/$499 +$18

    I mean...either way, I'm fine with it. I will be unlocking/selling my 3GS to recoup most of that...but I'd MUCH rather pay the lower price, obviously
     
  16. Geckotek macrumors G3

    Geckotek

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #16
    $199/$299.
     
  17. hellodon macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2006
    #17
    Wow...definitely? That'd be awesome!

    It is the same message that my friend at work just got, and he never bought the 3GS, his 2 year contract is up so he definitely gets that price. I'm really hoping that its for me too!

    I called them yesterday and even on the phone it was like they couldnt give me a straight answer. Told me to stop at a store to ask..which made no sense.
     
  18. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

    Eminemdrdre00

    Joined:
    May 10, 2008
    #18
    I signed a new 2-year contract in July 2009 when I got my 3GS. My text says:

    "As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee."

    So I can get the iPhone 4 for $199?
     
  19. hellodon macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2006
    #19
    This is the same boat a lot of us are in. I re-signed a 2 year contract when i got my original iPhone, my 3G at launch, and my 3GS at launch....I'm still not sure that price will be our price but Gecko says yes....sure hope he's right!
     
  20. Geckotek macrumors G3

    Geckotek

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #20
    Pretty sure I JUST answered that question.
     
  21. Slip Jigs thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    #21
    Exact same text.

    And to reiterate, the reason i asked the question in the first place was that when i called and used the automated system to check, the message was different and was talking "discount".

    Thanks again to Geckotek for clarifying all this.
     
  22. NateDogX macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2010
    #22
    Not sure if this has been answered yet in this thread, so here goes.

    I'm the secondary line on our family plan. Our first line is eligible, my line is not. My girlfriend doesn't care about the upgrade, so she wants to give it to me.

    My question is: can I still keep my phone number and everything if we do this or would we need to swap numbers?
     
  23. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2009
    #23
    I'd say just swap the sim card, but you'd have to do some modifying in order to do that, since the new phone uses the microsim. However, I think AT&T will allow you to swap the numbers.
     
  24. NateDogX macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2010
    #24
    If anyone else has the same question as I, I just got off the phone with AT&T and they say that my primary line should be able to get iPhone 4, then transfer it to my number without a problem. Also, the process can be done at either an AT&T Store or an Apple store.
     
  25. melman101 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2009
    #25
    Ok, like I said

    $599 I'm definitely out.

    But $399 I'll be in.

    Sincerely,
    Mel
     

Share This Page