Upgrade every 12 months

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Loves2spoon, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

What plan do you need to have AT&T let you upgrade every 12? I have $89 plan with 3 data, and 3 texting plans yet I'm not eligible until nov. 2011.

I see some people saying they get to upgrade this June. How much do you pay monthly?!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I believe all you have to do is pay an early upgrade fee.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Either your a current iPhone owner or sign a 1 year contract.

AT&T has been making exceptions up until now for current iPhone owners (no matter how much you pay per month) to upgrade early, but the exception is that you have to upgrade to the next version of the iPhone and not any other phone they carry.

But this exception only applies to current iPhone owners, everyone else must wait for their contract to expire.

Also, if you are a current iPhone owner, and when the next version of the iPhone gets released and you are eligible, AT&T will bump up your upgrade date automatically. Their is no special plan you can sign up for.

4. Cartaphilus, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

Cartaphilus macrumors 6502a

My own experience has been that the size of the monthly bill, and a record of prompt payment, is only taken into account when you are just short of the required period, i.e., as another poster pointed out has been ATT's practice since 2007, one year. The waiver of the contractual two-year period has been announced shortly after the announcement of the ship date of the new iPhone model. So a customer who bought the 3GS in August of '09, and who wanted to buy the iPhone4 on the release date of June 4, '10, would be just short. Nonetheless, ATT permitted an early upgrade to a subsidized iPhone4 for such customers who had more expensive plans and had always paid their bill on time. There's nothing that requires ATT to waive the full two-year waiting period, but I think most customers have a high degree of confidence that ATT will continue their past practice. If you're upgrading an iPhone4 to the anticipated mid-year refresh, you'll be well over the twelve months and you won't have to be concerned about the size of your bill.

Otherwise, I can only tell you that ATT store managers have had some discretion in the past, and you might try asking. As in most businesses, if you're a good customer and making a reasonable request, you might be accommodated.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

this is directly from AT&T's website. Though this doesn't pertain to the 12 months you were asking, I think the same rules apply, the more you spend the sooner you can upgrade.

[​IMG]

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/upgrade-advantage.jsp

6. Missjenna macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

I was told that I get to upgrade every 12 months because I am a current iPhone owner, I am the primary on the account and I pay over $100/month on my bill.

7. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

I was told the same thing. I am the primary on my account, pay about $160.00 a month, and the day I upgraded, I did *639# and my upgrade date was exactly one year later to the date. The second line shows a 18 month upgrade date.

I do have an iPhone though so I'm not sure if its the same with other phones.

8. milamber macrumors regular

Wow I don't get how you Americans can afford things over there! $160USD is ridiculous! Although I did buy my iPhone outright so it is unlocked I'm on a plan that just now i pay 10GBP and I get 250 cross network anytime minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data with no fair use policy!

9. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I'm currently on the unlimited calling, data, and text plan which is about $150 after taxes per month and I'm elgible every year. Just picked up an iPhone 4 at the beginning of December 2010 and I'm elgible to upgrade December of this year as well.

10. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I'm on the same boat. This makes it extremely convenient to update every year to the newest iPhone.

11. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I looked at my account last week. Now granted I upgraded to the iPhone 4 in August, yet I can still get the $199/$299 price on the iPhone 4 if I wanted to sign another 2-year agreement right now. I pay roughly $85/month for my single line. I don't know if it makes a difference that I have a FAN account with my company.

12. phreebsd macrumors regular

i pay about 190 a month for 3 phones and im on the 1 yr refresh cycle as well.
    im set to upgrade on 6/24/2011.

Cya soon, 5 :)

13. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

I'm the same...$190 for 3 phones, I'm the primary line, have an ip4 currently and am eligible to upgrade exactly 1 year from when i got the ip4 (October)

14. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

Just looked this up and of course,as always "Additional discounts do not apply to iPhone".

Just what I thought.

15. mpossoff macrumors 68020

There is what is called iPhone early upgrade.

16. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

The same goes for me.

17. Loves2spoon thread starter macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

*639# says I'm eligible for a "full" upgrade on 02/12!! lol

I really hope it changes in June '11. Or I might have to raise my plan for a month... I'm already paying $200+ every month and pay an extra $50-$100 over just cause I'm a good customer. Haha

18. christyn macrumors 6502a

Just fyi you have to be over for at least 3 months before it will affect your upgrade eligibility.

19. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

So some news just came out of Engadget moments ago, AT&T is apparently making many changes to its pricing and policies, including the iPhone, and one interesting thing stood out to me.

[​IMG]

If I am readying this correctly, this would mean that we would be able to get an iPhone 4 today, and in 6 month we will be eligible again for an early upgrade?

Did I mis-read that?

Full Upgrade - $199/$299
    Early Upgrade - $399/$499

20. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

That's correct. I presume the term was even shorter before based on my experience.

21. Loves2spoon thread starter macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

You can take advantage of our no commitment pricing. Additional discounts may be available on 02/29/2012

As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a reduced discount, along with a 2-year commitment. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 02/29/2012

iPhone 4 $399/$499

22. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

I believe you need voice plan to be over $100 a month in order to get the lowest upgrade price.

23. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

Ok as the official bill payer fro 3 iPhones on unlimited data. I am eligible every 12 months for full upgrade pricing. The reasoning AT&T gave me was...Since I bear the financial burden for 3 phones(Family Plan) I get the perk of full subsidized upgrade every 12 months. I pre-ordered my iPhone4 last June...just checked and my upgrade date is 6/16/11.

24. Loves2spoon thread starter macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

What is your minute plan?

25. aneftp macrumors 68040

OP this has discuss to death numerous times.

1. In a nutshell, you are on a family plan. That means your lines 2 and 3 move all the way down the priority list. They won't be eligible for upgrades until 18-21 months after a full subsidy upgrade.

2. Now if you are line 1 (aka primary line). If you primary line (say you have family voice plan of $89.99...really ATT only counts it as $80 since the other $9.99 is the second line).

But add the primary line voice PLUS data (ATT Excludes texting) and if that number is more than $99, than ONLY THAT primary line gets the 12 month upgrade. Lines 2-5 will be at 18-21 month cycle.

I know ATT confuses the heck out of people. But this has been ATT/cingular's policy since I have been with them for the past 8 years. Nothing has change EXCEPT:

ATT has made "exceptions" for iPhone upgrades for Summer 2009, and Summer 2010.

In Summer of 2009, they let people who would have been eligible for upgrades in August, September, October 2009 move up their eligibilty to July 2009 so they could get the iPhone 3GS.

In Summer of 2010, they let people who would normally not be eligible for full subsidy upgrade (up to 6 months) move their eligibility up to June 2010. So someone not normally eligible for an upgrade till say Nov 2010, got the full upgrade subsidy moved up to June 2010 for the iPhone 4.

That's why some people get confused at the $99 primary line threshold (voice and data only...no text included but before FAN discounts) So your FAN can take you below the $99 primary line threshold and you would still be eligible for 12 month upgrade

Got that? I know there's a lot to read but this is ATT's policy and has been for some time and they made a few exceptions during iphone launches.

As for the engadget article about the 6 month "early upgrade". That only applies to primary line. Again it's a "loophole" so many abused. Say I purchased iPhone 4 as the primary account line on June 2010 for $199/299. ATT let me do an "early" upgrade by August 2010 for $399/499. Now I would need to wait 6 months to get that "early" ugprade pricing.