Upgrade from 2nd gen to the Apple TV 4K, worth it?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by JCarmona, Apr 14, 2019.

?

Upgrade?

Poll closed Sunday at 5:44 AM.
  1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JCarmona macrumors member

Hi,

I have an Apple TV 2nd gen. I use my PS4 to stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC, etc...

I've seen that when using AirPlay, (being the source an iPhone XS Max or MacBook Pro 2018), there is a little bit of a lag.

Is it worth upgrading to a newer generation of Apple TV? I would consider the latest one, the 4K one; although I don't have a 4K TV, but better to have the latest if I'm buying something.

Thoughts?
    Thanks!

2. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Normally I would say it depends on what you do with it, as most people that ask this question has a ATV3 and is thinking of getting an ATV4 or 4K, but I noticed that there is a significant performance decrease from an ATV3 to an ATV2.

The ATV4K would have a dramatic performance increase over the ATV2.

I actually prefer the ATV2/3 version of Apps over tvOS's version, but if you don't plan on using the Apps, then that point is moot. Or, are you thinking of using the ATV4K for the Apps?

What it comes down to is an improved AirPlay experience worth the price of an ATV4K? It will most likely improve, but me personally, I wouldn't spend that kind of money for just a better experience for AirPlay.

If you decide to get a new ATV, even though you do not have a 4K TV, I would get the 4K version of the ATV. The Apple TV HD (ATV4) is underpowered imo, and the ATV4K is just a little more money, but is much more powerful.

3. JCarmona thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!!

Yes, I'd be switching from my PS4 to the new ATV for the apps; also considering the BT Sport app in the UK is available in the ATV and not in the PS4.

I think I'll be doing the upgrade based on your comments; I'll look for a refurbished one in case they're available.