Upgrade from iLife 08 to 09

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sundance2007, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Sundance2007 macrumors regular

Is there an upgrade path from iLife 08 to 09 or is the only way to get 09 to go out and buy the full version?

Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The upgrade path is to buy the new one. You cannot legally install it onto a computer without a previous version of iLife.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thats not true. you do not need another version of iLife installed to install the new version.

but to answer the question there is only one version and it is both a full package and an update.

4. Sundance2007 thread starter macrumors regular

That doesn't make since, what you are saying above is if I don't have it (no previous version on my computer) I can use it. Obviously if I want to upgrade from 08 (as stated in my post) I have it.:confused:

5. Diaresi macrumors regular

What the people above are saying in very un-simple terms is:

No*

You either stump up $99 or do without the new versions

*Unless you bought a Mac on or after 6th January

6. Sundance2007 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Placeofdis, that was the info. I was looking for.

Steve

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

But there are no computers on which it can be legally installed that did NOT have a previous version at one time. That's what I'm saying. If you had a previous iLife installation, you can install the new one.

The part of the text from which I am quoting pertains to Hackintosh computers and how they don't ship with iLife.

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Not true. You can buy an Xserve, that doesn't come with iLife. And then install OS X leopard (not the server version, the client version) and then from there install iLife.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Doesn't it? I'd assume they'd try to push it everywhere... :p

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

heh, there's not a lot of use for iLife Server... (although that would be an interesting product) :p

11. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Can understand why they do this for iLife but why not have an upgrade discount for iWork?:confused:

12. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

Actually, it's $79 for a single user. $99 is for the family pack (5 licenses). Just to be clear for the OP.

Apple's argument is that it is because of the relative cost effectiveness of the program vs. M$ Office. On previous versions, that was very true, though you can now get a legal version of M$ Office '08 for a little over $100. M$ "had" to offer a lower cost version to compete with NeoOffice, OpenOffice, iWork, etc.

13. miklagio777 macrumors member

I've heard that if youve bought on or after january 6th you can get iLife for $10... but how? Or is this not true?

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/

more details to come, but yes there is an up to date program as is usual with apple.

15. miklagio777 macrumors member

damn that was fast thanx im upgrading right away

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Totally wrong. If you happened to have removed iLife 08 or earlier, you CAN install iLife 09. You don't NEED a previous version of iLife and some have managed to uninstall as they find no need for the application. They uninstall to free up space. There is nothing in the license agreement that states you MUST have iLife on your Mac to install iLife 09. iLife 09 is a full version regardless, there is no discount to just "upgrade".

17. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I'm guessing there's absolutely NO way to upgrade only iPhoto from '08-'09 at a cheaper rate?

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nope.

I thought what you quoted had made it clear. Yes, you can uninstall iLife from a computer and then install iLife '09.

But other than the XServe, there are no computers that did not have some version of iLife at some point that can run iLife '09.

It's a moot point for every Mac user; the wording exists to cover the Hackintosh community.

19. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Forget all this, Apple is not like Microsoft, selling "upgrade" versions. They sell the full version only. If you have anything except a Hackintosh, you have to fork the $99 to buy iLife regardless of whether you had iLife '06 or iLife '08, it doesn't matter.

20. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

$99 for this upgrade doesn't seam worth it to me. Its not that I wouldn't buy an upgrade, its a bit on the pricy side.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

what does a hackintosh have anything to do with it? they would still have to pay that 79 as well

edit: fixed price as per TuffLuffJimmy lol

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Gah! It's $79! Not $99

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

theres nothing stopping me from buying ilife 09 for my hackintosh lol

24. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

True, but... eh, sure. Go ahead. :p As long as you're buying it, I have no complaints, even though Apple might.

25. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well to be fair im buying the fam pack so i can update my real macs as well which is 2 of them and then my hackintosh lol