iPad Upgrade from iPad Air 1 to Air 2 worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JerTheGeek, Sep 26, 2015.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Hello all
    I have an iPad Air 1 which I've had since June, when I updated from a mini 1. I really like the larger screen. I was considering going back to the mini with the 4, but I'm almost 100% sure I'm gonna stick with the 9.7 inch screen.
    However, I am wondering if it'd be worth it to upgrade to the Air 2 this Christmas. I use this thing every day, and I use it as my textbooks for homeschool so this thing gets some pretty extensive use. In addition to school, I also use it for standard web browsing, email, YouTube, etc.
    So, even though the upgrade might not offer a ton of new features, I'm thinking it still may be worth it even just for the thinness of the air 2 since I'm on it a lot. I wish there was an air 3, but I'm not quite sure what they'd do besides put an a9 in it.
    Anyway, do you think it would be worth it to upgrade from an air 1, given my situation?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If you've got the cash, do it. If not, don't.

3. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Well if I sell my air, it shouldn't be that much to get a refurb 64gb air 2.

4. Serban Suspended

better go for iPad pro, that cpu and 4gb ram will suite you well for another 2-3 years.

5. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I already have a MacBook Air 13 so I don't need a tablet to replace that. I want my iPad to be portable, more so than my MacBook, while still providing a nice big screen. The Air does this greatly for me.

6. Serban Suspended

yes if you have a Macbook than no need for iPad pro..but regarding the Macbook Air is still a big difference, the main one the screen,still lighter than the MBA
    And that pencil will serve you well for school

7. jev425 macrumors 6502

jev425

You won't regret buying the air 2. I don't personally have the air 1 but I do have a mini 2 and the difference is insane. I just bought a air 2 a few days ago and would suggest you head over to staples website. They have a really good deal on them right now, and not sure how much longer they will be on sale

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Your Air 1 is very powerful tablet no need to upgrade. You might wan to wait for Air 3 next year or air 4 next year.

9. newellj macrumors 601

I owned an Air and now have an Air 2. The difference in weight and thickness is negligible. I would only upgrade if you really want to take full advantage of the multitasking features of iOS 9. By the way, this is your third thread on this question in less than a month...http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/have-ipad-air-1-should-i-upgrade-later-this-year.1911660/...and http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/air-2-worth-it-this-christmas.1913680/

10. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I think the split screen apps will make it worth it. And I think the extra speed will be good to go for years to come.

11. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Bought the Air 1 in June and now thinking of a 2 by Christmas? You would be better off waiting for the Air 3.

12. newellj macrumors 601

I agree that while nothing is "future proof" (an oxymoron), the Air 2 has legs for several years to come. If you want to use SplitView, I'd go for the Air 2 in a heartbeat, especially if you can get price matching with the Staples sale (which I think is good through today, check the thread on that). I was if-fy about upgrading my Air to the Air 2. The Air got better battery life, but in every other respect the Air 2 just blows it away.

13. newellj macrumors 601

It really depends on how you read the tea leaves. If an Air 3 in spring 2016 is your bet, that could well be true. OTOH, the current (thru today) Staples sale price is highly attractive. Taster's choice???

14. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I think it'll be more like fall 2016 for the air 3

15. newellj macrumors 601

That could easily be true. If you can get the current sale pricing, it might not matter...same if there are similar deals around Black Friday, which would seem likely.

16. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Yeah I mean, it'd be silly to not get the air 2 now just cause the air 3 might come out next year. I'm gonna go for a refurb air 2 so that's already a good deal.

17. Jsameds macrumors 68030

There's still a small chance Air 3 will make an appearance this year so IMO it's worth waiting until October's keynote just to be sure.

Regarding the Air 2, it's not the thinness that is most important, it's the weight. It's only 7% lighter (32g) but it makes a big difference IMO if you're holding it for extended periods of time, or holding it out to show someone a 2 minute YT video or something.

18. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Yeah I won't be buying till around Christmas so I'll see if an air 3 makes a surprise appearance. I'd love an October keynote but don't think that's gonna happen honestly.

19. newellj macrumors 601

If I were running Apple and had just introduced a new Mini and a new Pro, there is no way I'd be rolling out a new iPad Air 3 in October. The iPad line (and tablets generally) already have volume issues. I'd give the new Mini and Pro some unobstructed running room.

20. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

The current Staples deal (which ends today) is cheaper for a NEW Air 2 than what Apple charges for a REFURB.

It's just my opinion, but I don't see how it is wise to have purchased an Air 1 just 3 months ago and looking to get an Air 2 now/soon. My advice is to enjoy the Air 1, save your money for an Air 3.

21. Jsameds macrumors 68030

There's been one every year since 2011 so I'd be surprised if there isn't one.

I love this time of year, it's like Christmas come early - twice!

22. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I think cause the air 2 is so powerful already, they'll wait till next year. And also, there is a new one, the iPad Pro. Every year they've released a new flagship, and this year it's the Pro.

23. Jsameds macrumors 68030

You're probably right. I'm actually kinda hoping you are right because Apple have rinsed me of enough money this year already haha :D

24. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I've been pondering a similar question, do I want to upgrade from my mini in 2 to a mini 4? The improved screen, extra ram, improved speed, slimmer form factor, and better speakers would all be nice. But in the end I've decided to wait. In my opinion, the mini 4 is a fine upgrade to the mini 2, but my mini 2 does what I need it do and is a pleasure to use, and so for me the cost of an upgrade is not worth it at this time. Of course that's just me; only you can decide what's worth it for you.

25. newellj macrumors 601

And tablet sales have been slowing down. It's one thing to pour R&D, production and marketing costs into a product that people will upgrade every year, like the iPhone. Tablets don't generate that kind of consumer demand.