iPhone 7(+) Upgrade from iPhone 7: 8 plus or X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gdourado, Feb 11, 2019.

1. gdourado macrumors 6502

gdourado

Hello, how are you?
    Like the title says, I am looking at upgrading from an iPhone 7.
    I am looking at the two options on the topic title.
    Both of them are cheaper than the XR and so I am looking st them because both the 8 plus and C seem like the better price performance options at the moment since I can get both discounted.
    So, what is the better option?
    I am thinking the X for the oled screen and better one hand usability.
    But the 8 plus is cheaper and has Touch ID and a screen with better aspect ratio for browsing, so I guess they are kind of tied in positives and negatives.

Cheers and thanks.

2. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68020

BugeyeSTI

8+ and X are both great phones can’t go wrong either way. XR isn’t that much more than a new X so I’d say you might want to consider it too

3. Aftermath747 macrumors regular

I couldn’t personally go back to having bezels so the X would be my choice. Bigger, better screen in a smaller body.

4. pika2000 macrumors 601

Personally, i would choose the XR. Apple really positioned the XR as a direct competition to the 8 Plus, with their prices being very close.

If you want smaller phone, consider the iPhone 8, although that wouldn't be such a huge upgrade to your 7.

5. MacLappy macrumors 6502

I too would choose the XR. It’s still cheaper than a refurbished X especially if you are planning to go up a tier in storage space. So unless you absolutely want the telephoto lens, 3D touch or an OLED display, the iPhone XR is an all around better device.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think you should make your decision based on two things, 1) Form factor and 2.) What do you prefer in terms of biometric security, face ID or touch ID? If you like the new form factor with the 5.8 X, and Face ID, then I think the iPhone X would be a great choice. If you prefer the previous form factor of the iPhone 7, and you really had a good experience touch ID, that would be the iPhone 8. Either way, features included with both these phones are _very_ similar. So you’re really choosing what I mentioned above.

7. balaplus macrumors 6502

X
    Prices are now competitive. A great combination of screen, form-factor, camera & battery.

8. petio99 macrumors newbie

About 2 months ago I was at the same dilema as you. Had the same price for brand new 8+,Xr or used X(certified refurbished with 0 charge cycles on battery which is basically brand new). I got the X because of the thinner bezels and OLED. Honestly I could not be happier. The OLED is truly amazing, everything is running smooth, the Face ID is much more convinient than Touch ID. I think the only downside versus the Xr, which you may want to consider when choosing between them, is the battery life. Personally I would never go with the better battery life at the cost of display quality, but that is just my opinion.

9. hardax macrumors regular

Everyone keeps recommending the XR because it’s so close in price to a refurbished X but they are not mentioning one of its biggest flaws and that’s its width and weight. It’s very close to the width of an 8 plus which, unless you have really big hands is extremely uncomfortable to use one handed. Plus this sucker is heavy (all the new iPhones are). I personally would go for an X.

10. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

I went from a 7 to an XR. I wanted a bigger phone though. The original plan was an 8 Plus because the XR wasn't out yet as it came out later. I waited and once I tried the XR, I liked it. No regrets.

11. gdourado thread starter macrumors 6502

gdourado

Thank you for your replies.
    I am wondering, is the 8 plus due to the aspect ratio of the screen, better for web browsing?
    I believe it has a bigger area of display and the 16:10 make it better to view web sites on.
    Anyone that had both can either confirm this or deny?

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

It’s really down to the individual on this but I chose the 8+. It’s the best iPhone I’ve owned to date and the fact it’s the older design makes no difference for me.

13. NorthSeaBeach macrumors 6502

Another vote for the 8 Plus. The screen on the X is too small for my taste and batterylife is meh. Screenclarity on the Xr is less than on the 8 Plus which is very noticable with reading small print.

14. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

X. I don't know that iPhone 7 Plus to iPhone 8 Plus is worth the upgrade.

15. balaplus macrumors 6502

Only Apple will claim 8 plus as a 'completely redesigned upgrade' -
    It was just a safe choice in case X didn't work out

16. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Apple never made that claim as far as I'm aware.

But on topic, if you want to keep the device for a while, consider a refurbed iPhone X or a new iPhone XR and AppleCare. I wouldn't spend a cent on the iPhone 8 at this time.

17. balaplus macrumors 6502

Feel free to check it out.. They definitely did start the Iphone 8 unveiling by saying the 'the design is all new!'
    Guess their reasoning was that it had wireless charging!!

18. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

No, the "new design" claim clearly references the materials. The claim is:

"The new iPhone features a new glass and aluminum design in three beautiful colors made out of the most durable glass ever in a smartphone"

That's not dishonest. I still don't think it's worth an upgrade from the iPhone 7

19. balaplus macrumors 6502

Don't want to labour the point. I am not suggesting they were dishonest - Just that they did say everything was a major improvement from 7

I agree that it is NO upgrade from 7 at all

20. fourthtunz macrumors 65816

fourthtunz

I recommend that you go play with the XR. I had the 8plus through T mobile and switched to the XR and sometimes I miss the home button..the swipe up to switch apps is not the best if you ask me.
    face recognition works ok once you tweak the preference..especially the one for wearing sunglass or glasses..but I find the XR a little smaller in the hand, anyway good luck!

21. gdourado thread starter macrumors 6502

gdourado

I don’t have a 7 plus.
    Just the regular 7.
    So higher res screen, camera, a11 and 3 gigs of ram still qualify as an upgrade to me.
    I am currently looking at deals.
    The 8 plus is still cheaper than both the x and xr by a good amount I could put on a better iPad upgrade.

22. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Sorry, I don't like the way this board does prefixes.

23. dotzero123 macrumors regular

dotzero123

Everyone's needs are different. I went to the store a few times and laid my 7+ on the table with the XR, XS and Max before deciding to upgrade. To me, the Max was the best. It is a bit less comfortable to hold than the 7 was but I was sold on the speed, display and newer features. The 7s and 8s were excellent phones too. I am really glad that I upgraded and very pleased with my phone. It is a hard decision because the upgrades don't seem too significant until you spend some time with the phone. Best of Luck!!

24. puma1552 macrumors 603

Heck I'm thinking about upgrading my regular launch day 8 to an 8+.